Antec External Enclosure for $20

Nahid

Limp Gawd
Circuit City

I am planning on purchasing one of these tomorrow!

Anyone w/ feedback(s) on this item?

Originally sells for $40 + at other stores and websites!!

Correction - it's $19.99 not $20 as the title says.. :)

If they still have it at this price tomorrow I'll get one during lunch. Thanks OP. :)

I picked one up a couple days ago from CC (just noticed it on sale in the store) to hold the 1tb from my faulty Hitachi from that Best Buy deal from a month ago.

This Antec drive enclosure is awesome! It runs cool (I've had it powered on since I got it for testing), and speeds are just as good as my other enclosure (as well they should be). The drive goes into sleep mode (or low spin mode or something) after long periods of zero usage BUT IT DOESN'T UNMOUNT, like the faulty Hitachi enclosure did! BRILLIANT.

I highly recommend this thing. It's low profile and looks good too. The original proprietary Hitachi enclosure I had definitely felt sturdier, but I completely trust this enclosure with my data.

With CC it's always a good idea to double check for their 10% buy online pick up in store deals. Not much in this case but helps with the gas;)

Yes, I have two of them. The only thing I dislike about it probably isn't a factor for a lot of people. But since I'm always swapping crap around ... the enclosure is not designed to allow easy installation/removal of hard drives. Basically, the drive mounts to a tray in the enclosure, via the four screw placements on the bottom of the hard drive. So you have to open up the enclosure, unscrew and slide the tray forward to disengage from the power/sata connectors, lift out the tray, and unscrew the drive from the tray. All while trying not to mangle the two wires (one fan, one light) running up the side where they could easily be pinched.

So, while I really like the enclosures, I worry about longevity if you're an dink like me who is always shifting things around.

EDIT: sorry guys, I was talking about the Antec MX1 enclosure. :eek:

Antec cases are pretty high quality in most cases. This is no exception.

Antec MX-1 is fan cooled.. this is MX-100 (looks exactly like vantec enclosures) and does not have a fan. So I'm with Kuyaglen on this in not seeing how others are thinking there's a fan.

I'm going to pick one up on my way home from work... It worked out perfectly, the one right on my way home has them in stock.

description says USB2.0...

my brother in law just bought one of these things for a 200 gig IDE drive i gave him as a gift...

he was pretty dissapointed when he realized the one cable didn't fit...

but i offered to buy it off of him :shrugs: .... why not... good price for a vantec external case

Picked this up right now, running the hdd on it. Looks very beautiful!!!! :)

The upside-down batman symbol is pretty cool too!! hahah

i have this running 500gb seagate. no problems what so ever. but i wish they made one in ide so i can put my 80gb ide to match it. =/

Back