• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Antec earthwatts 380 enough?

Ieat

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 12, 2012
Messages
177
Thinking about building a friend a basic gaming comp. Components would be an i3 3220 (ivy), gtx 560 ti 1gb, 4gb ram, 1 ssd, 2 hds, 1 dvd burner. I think the 380w earthwatts I have lying around should be enough but thought it would be better to get some other opinions.
 
GPU can consume ~220w max load more if overclocked of course slightly less if stock or even a good card so that's
~18amps
90 watts or so for cpu(with decent motherboard, a Matx board on average draw less) 7.5amps max average load stock clocks
hard drives can take average 2.5a load phase ssd less around 1.5a burner not quite sure
so rough numbers of course
18+7.5+2.5+1.5+2 for good measure=31.5x12v=378w, so provided you do not overclock, if the gpu is not an overclocked version and you are not running insane games it should be ok, but seems like it might be a bit close for comfort sometimes(given it can deliver 34a tops on the 12v and may not like doing that)
I might suggest downclocking the card a chunk as this will help, or better yet, put a slightly less power hungry GPU in there and you will be ok.

Think this way, usually 380w PSU are used for oem type builds(Walmart and such) CPU and IGP not dedicated, if they are dedicated they usually use in the GTx30 type range or Radeon wise x4xx so as not to burn out said supply, any higher then this say x5x or x6xx they usually use 450w or greater to be "safe"

This is IMHO.
 
I run the Antec in question myself. And if it weren't for the fact that the i3 is a 55w TDP power sipper, I'd be more hesitant to say go ahead. But all things considered, I'd be surprised if your machine consumed more than 200w at CPU and GPU load, which puts you in the 50%-usage-range sweet spot for PSUs.

I'd say go for it. This Antec is built far better than practically any other PSU in the 380w range so 380w means 380w in this case, and 80 Plus Bronze watts at that.
 
Actually, it's only rated for 324-336 depending on if Seasonic or Delta made it. You only have about a 300w system though, so I'd say your fine. It's a solid little unit regardless of OEM.
 
I agree that you should be fine with that Antec unit for the build.

IMHO though, I would get the biggest psu you want to spend the money for. That way down the road if your buddy wants to upgrade you don't need to add in the cost of a new PSU at the same time. I have a Corsair 850 that was way overkill for what I needed when I got it, but I've been able to do a couple of major system upgrades over the years and still have room to go before I need to replace it.

I like to spread out the cost of my PC upgrades over time instead of one big $1k bill.
 
I agree that you should be fine with that Antec unit for the build.

IMHO though, I would get the biggest psu you want to spend the money for. That way down the road if your buddy wants to upgrade you don't need to add in the cost of a new PSU at the same time. I have a Corsair 850 that was way overkill for what I needed when I got it, but I've been able to do a couple of major system upgrades over the years and still have room to go before I need to replace it.

I like to spread out the cost of my PC upgrades over time instead of one big $1k bill.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah if I knew he was going to upgrade anytime soon I might get him a higher output PSU. But honestly I have no clue when he will upgrade again. His current system is from 2007. He's still rocking an Athlon x2 4800+ with a 8600gt. He seems pretty content with it but wants to try some pc gaming. He was even considering installing XP into the new system before I told him some games no longer support XP. It might be another 6 to 7 years before he even considers upgrading again.
 
Back
Top