Antec ATX Plug Question

fenton06

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 28, 2003
Messages
2,140
Ok, so I am replacing the fire hazard weak PSU in my other computer with this new Antec one...plug it all up...mobo will turn on...but no post...so I try some other stuff, still no post. I figure hey, why not, and try the old PSU. Tada! Works. So I compare the plugs, and my new one is missing a wire! If this is normal and there is a way to get this to work, let me know. If it is not normal, do I just contact Antec?

Here is a picture of the problem:

Computer002.jpg
 
fenton06 said:
Ok, so I am replacing the fire hazard weak PSU in my other computer with this new Antec one...plug it all up...mobo will turn on...but no post...so I try some other stuff, still no post. I figure hey, why not, and try the old PSU. Tada! Works. So I compare the plugs, and my new one is missing a wire! If this is normal and there is a way to get this to work, let me know. If it is not normal, do I just contact Antec?

Guess what? Your motherboard requires a -5V (read: minus 5V) connection -- but that Antec unit, like many recent dual-rail units, do not have a -5V rail.
 
-5V is required, but not necessary to POST. -5V is only used in peripherals that don't even PNP until after the OS is loaded. Typically sound cards (on board DAC uses -5V to amplify.)

If the board posts with one PSIU and not another, then it's a BAD PSU, but not certainly not because of a lack of -5V.
 
So i need to talk to Antec becasue I got a bad PSU? Also, what is PNP...never heard that one before.

 
fenton06 said:
So i need to talk to Antec becasue I got a bad PSU? Also, what is PNP...never heard that one before.

Return the PSU to where ever you bought it, they should replace it as DOA.

PnP = Plug in & Play
 
Back
Top