Antec annoyance rant

Yashu

[H]ard|Gawd
I had a neopower480, and it was fine until I upgraded some stuff... I was using some of the molex snapins to give me 5 and 7v on one cable... and I didn't want to reroute everything else, so I bought a neoHE550... it's a good supply, but THE STUPID MODULAR CABLES aren't cross compatable!

I bought the new one thinking since it was modular and from the same series, I could just replace the PSU and be able to reuse my cables, including the ones I modified...

It didn't take that much longer to swap everything out, but I don't see why they had to change the pin outs and make the neo480 ones incompatable with the neo550.

I thought one of the advantages to modular cabling was that you could just swap the supply out and keep alot of the cables in place... but I guess not!

I don't have a pin popping tool... otherwise I would have just swapped the connectors, but still... I think there is a market for this... if there was a standard modular plug across supplies it would be so great when you have to upgrade.

The Neo was made by CWT. The NeoHE was made by Seasonic. I believe all of the Seasonic built modulars are interchangible, but don't quote me on that. ;)

really? I didn't know the antec supplies were made by other brands. Everyone talks about how good antec is... I guess they are talking about other brands entirely without knowing.

Makes me want to just get a seasonic and cut through the bullshit.

jonnyGURU said:
The Neo was made by CWT. The NeoHE was made by Seasonic. I believe all of the Seasonic built modulars are interchangible, but don't quote me on that. ;)

What caps did they put on the Neo?

Yashu said:
really? I didn't know the antec supplies were made by other brands. Everyone talks about how good antec is... I guess they are talking about other brands entirely without knowing.

If you want to do that you will have to wait a bit longer for the M12 series...there have been some reports of them available in France already but retail/etail in the US not yet.

I went through 3 Antec NeoPower 480s on the shelf while doing a build for a customer. Everyone of them was defective. The fourth worked fine.

Plus a friend of mine has killed two of them. I've been running 2 NeoHE 550's for about 4 months or so in my machine without any issues.

Dan_D said:
Plus a friend of mine has killed two of them.

Off topic, but when I first read this line I thought it said, "a friend of mine was killed by two of them."

dBTelos said:
What caps did they put on the Neo?

Fuhjyyu's.

Yashu said:
really? I didn't know the antec supplies were made by other brands.

Antec doesn't make anything. Most power supply companies do not make their own power supplies. Most power supply companies make power supplies for a dozen different brands. I think Enermax is the only exception to that "rule."

jonnyGURU said:
Fuhjyyu's.

Antec doesn't make anything. Most power supply companies do not make their own power supplies. Most power supply companies make power supplies for a dozen different brands. I think Enermax is the only exception to that "rule."

Fuhjyyu's, eww. ;)

Enermax is the only exception? :eek: Seasonic, Seventeam, Topower, Enhance, Zippy/Emacs.

I think he meant that Enermax may be the only PSU outfit that doesn't sell their units to be rebranded.

off topic but out of curiosity who makes the true power 2.0 that i have running in my rig. Is is any good. I havent had a problem but have been toying with the idea of a new psu. Starting to read to many Antec horror stories.

Yashu said:

Yashu... You just lost your cherry, welcome to the exciting and interesting world of OEM Manufacturing
40beer.gif

DeChache said:
off topic but out of curiosity who makes the true power 2.0 that i have running in my rig. Is is any good. I havent had a problem but have been toying with the idea of a new psu. Starting to read to many Antec horror stories.

CWT

Methos said:
I think he meant that Enermax may be the only PSU outfit that doesn't sell their units to be rebranded.

Correct.

Although I did see a rebranded Enermax in Japan. Didn't know what to make of that.

You just lost your cherry,

Better change my pants...

Seriously though, I knew of some OEM type stuff... video cards and motherboards... but I seriously thought antec made their own supplies... I mean... they spend alot of marketing on their PSU quality and how unique they are supposed to be.

jonnyGURU said:
Off topic, but when I first read this line I thought it said, "a friend of mine was killed by two of them."

OMG!! I haven't laughed that hard in months, thanks Jonny!

Ah, I see. But I think that Zippy/Emacs can be included with Enermax. That makes two :eek:

Starting to read to many Antec horror stories.

The Fuhjyyu cause all the horror stories, for the most part at least. They will buldge and eventually kill the PSU after about a year or two of decent use, or so I hear :rolleyes:

dBTelos said:
Ah, I see. But I think that Zippy/Emacs can be included with Enermax. That makes two :eek:

The Fuhjyyu cause all the horror stories, for the most part at least. They will buldge and eventually kill the PSU after about a year or two of decent use, or so I hear :rolleyes:

Yeah I think one of those new Corsair 520s is calling my name now just to fine 130 Bucks.

dBTelos said:

Actually some Chenbro branded units are Zippy. FWIW, some Chenbro's are Etasis too.

If you send me a stamped self addresses envelope, I'll send you the dead Fuhjyyu caps from my Antec TP430...

I don't get these guys line of thinking...

Perfect Rubycon primaries and then stuff it with crap Fuhjyyu secondaries...

May as well start putting VW Vanagon engines in the new [size=-1]Porsche, that will save them a buck or two :rolleyes:
[/size]

Well, my neo480 that wouldn't cut it anymore... I took a look inside, and many of the caps had a small brown crumb at the top of each... I thought it was that they were leaking...

Otherwise it was a good PSU... very quiet, large fan without stupid leds, seperate fan power cables, the included cabling was nice.

I like my neoHE... it's a little longer though, still quiet, and comes with less cables. I think it looks better overall.

MD_Willington said:
If you send me a stamped self addresses envelope, I'll send you the dead Fuhjyyu caps from my Antec TP430...

I don't get these guys line of thinking...

Perfect Rubycon primaries and then stuff it with crap Fuhjyyu secondaries...

May as well start putting VW Vanagon engines in the new [size=-1]Porsche, that will save them a buck or two :rolleyes:
[/size]

Their are probably more dead Fuhyjju caps then working ones. :cool:

Back