Antec 900 Wiring-Is it going to suck?

WhiteGuardian

Limp Gawd
I heard that Antec 900s, although a great case, have wire management issues and alot of them end up looking like crap.

I'm concerned about ordering my AVADirect system with the 900 case now. Do you guys think that they will do a good job on the wiring? I know it takes drilling to make the wiring look really good, and I doubt that they'll do that.

If you cut the motherboard tray (not removable) in certain areas, you can feed some of the wires behind. I didn't try that myself, but today I actually tried moving my dvd-rom further up the slots in the case and unleashed a horrid rats nest. I got pissed off at it and NOW my pc sits inside of my old Solo case (awesome wire mgt.).

Its not going to be winning awards, but its manageable.

Antec 900 Thread

I bought from AVA Direct and ordered the Antec 900 case. When I recieve it hopefully this week, I'll post a couple pics of their wiring job.

My case pics are on page 2 of the antec 900 thread. Friend helped with cabling job.

I bought from AVA Direct and ordered the Antec 900 case. When I recieve it hopefully this week, I'll post a couple pics of their wiring job.

Thanks much. Looking forward to seeing it. It's going to be in the computers and gadgets section right?

Well if it's just concentrating on the Antec, I will probably post it here. Hopefully it ships either today or tomorrow.

100_Computer.jpg

Notice the power supply facing down. I'm thinking I have to turn this right?

Doesn't look like they used the holes, but even without that, it doesn't look that bad. What do you think?

I hope there's a hole cut in the bottom of the case or that Corsair is going to kill your whole system by choking to death :eek:

Other than that, the cabling looks nice and organized, which was very nice of them to do.

Nope no hole. I haven't even plugged this in yet because of that. I could go ahead and flip it, but they already did the burn in with this configuration which worries me.

I'm waiting from a response from AVA. I'll probably just call them tomorrow during working hours.

It will be fine to flip it, I did the same with my Corsair HX520.
If you really want you could cut a hole in the bottom of the case so you could keep it "rightside" up but with that being a premade system you may not want to take any chance at voiding your warranty.

Yeah, I'd love to cut a hole, but flipping would be easier and wouldn't void warranty from AVA.

So you don't think it caused any damage in that short time?

No way that PSU can breathe like that. Those things run warm already according to the reviews I have seen. Flip it ASAP. I can't believe a shop built it that way. here is one I did in an Antec a few weeks back with the same PSU. I cut some holes to help hide the wires. Case is a pain to cable.

IMG_1372.jpg

IMG_1377.jpg

Yup definately flipping before I even turn the rig on. Still sitting here silent. I still am asking the question. They already booted this up and ran it for a 24 hour "burn in" period. So, I'm tryingt to get a grasp on if I should be concerned about that. Some say yes, some say no, could be a judgement call here.

Yup definately flipping before I even turn the rig on. Still sitting here silent. I still am asking the question. They already booted this up and ran it for a 24 hour "burn in" period. So, I'm tryingt to get a grasp on if I should be concerned about that. Some say yes, some say no, could be a judgement call here.

It should have thermal control and that case has some pads that do lift the PSU up a tiny bit from sitting flush against the bottom. Boot it up and put your hand behind it to feel how much air is moving through the unit. I know the 750 I used above moved a decent amount of air. If it had air flowing through it I would assume your ok. It needs to be flipped tho. I'm not familiar with AVA but I would have built it for free :)

Ha! Thanks....good to know...now;)

I'm wondering if those pads you are talking about are built into the case or you have to "stick" them on first. Because I'll tell you, I don't see any room between the PS and the bottom of the case.

AVA has a good reputation here on H and has a very good rating on ResellerRatings. I understand that even good company's can make mistakes. I'm not really that upset, just trying to make sure I make a good decision moving forward.

Thanks for your replies.

Ha! Thanks....good to know...now;)

I'm wondering if those pads you are talking about are built into the case or you have to "stick" them on first. Because I'll tell you, I don't see any room between the PS and the bottom of the case.

AVA has a good reputation here on H and has a very good rating on ResellerRatings. I understand that even good company's can make mistakes. I'm not really that upset, just trying to make sure I make a good decision moving forward.

Thanks for your replies.

The Antec case I worked on had the pads and they were very thin. All else fails just call them and let them know. I am sure they don't want to repeat this and if they say its ok to leave like that I personally would not. Call Corsair and I am sure they will tell you the same. Good luck with it. Looks like you got some good parts.

Flip it, hook it up. If it's fine it's fine. If it's not, call AVA and tell them to send you a prepaid return postage label, cause it's certainly their fault for running it like that.

I heard that Antec 900s, although a great case, have wire management issues and alot of them end up looking like crap.

I had some minor issues with the wire management, but nothing I could not handle. The cables near the PSU are now hidden better behind the mobo tray.

^^^
I feel the need to put some kind of "not typical results" disclaimer on that pic. ;)

Love what you did Volume -- think I've said as much before. Probably the only 900 I actually like the look of.

I just bought a 900 and I was disappointed with the potential for cable management, however, now that I've seen these pics, I've decided that it's possible. Thanks for the inspiration.

I had some minor issues with the wire management, but nothing I could not handle. The cables near the PSU are now hidden better behind the mobo tray.

I BEG of you, more pics please. Let's see the other side, and where you cut.

I've got a question to all: What do you put on the edges of the holes you cut, and where do you get it? Is it just electrical tape?

Back