Antec 900... is magnetic?!

Irishllama

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 29, 2004
Messages
1,634
The front grill of my Antec is magnetic. I can put up an old disc, it'll stick. I can put any metal, and it'll most likely stick, it isn't TOO strong but strong enough to have a presence. Eh, any clue why this is happening? I'm about to build a new system, want to make sure the case is alright. I've also had a spark come from this case before. Never found out the problem, caused no hard-ware issues.
 
Well, I imagine you've managed to magnetize your steel grill.

So... demagnetize it... (not sure how).
 
Drop it from the 30th floor or bake it in the oven at 360degrees.

Or, use a strong magnet and rub it top to bottom then bottom to top.
 
the fans probably make some magnetic presence.

Hmm, it's pretty strong.

The magnetic grill is the least of my worries.


Finding out WHY it sparked randomly one time is top on my list. There is no contact between any wires and the case, the motherboard is correctly installed. I can't figure it out.
 
the front fans pull air in, so stuff can stick there pretty easily as long as its light.
 
Physics maybe, the fans pull in air which hits up against the grills causing a magnetic charge? I haven't taken physics since high school (and also maintain that it is not real)so im not sure exactly what the cause is. But i know that air can get charged and if you are pulling that across a metal grill it could impart a magnetic charge over time.
 
Have you tried sticking a piece of metal to the front of the case while the computer i turned off? I don't think you magnetized the front of your case, I think it's just the airflow.
 
The front has a little magnet to close the door, but as for a spark, unless you have current coursing into the case from contact with something with current, its the air.
This time of year, the air is extremely dry and static is considerably easier to produce. Toss a humidifier in the room.
 
Have you tried sticking a piece of metal to the front of the case while the computer i turned off? I don't think you magnetized the front of your case, I think it's just the airflow.

Yeah, that was actually when I first found out. I had it off, everything out of the case and was cleaning it.
 
The front has a little magnet to close the door, but as for a spark, unless you have current coursing into the case from contact with something with current, its the air.
This time of year, the air is extremely dry and static is considerably easier to produce. Toss a humidifier in the room.

The Antec 900 does not have a front door.

As for the spark, check all your cables to see if they have been chewed on and if you have really thick carpet try to keep your surge protector off the floor if you do have thick carpet. Got to Staples and buy a 24" x 18" rubber electronics mat to go under your computer if your desk might be causing it. The metal of a 900 can be bent pretty easily make sure nothing is touching that shouldn't be also make sure if you have a long video card like an 8800 that it isn't touching something it shouldn't and make sure that no cables are getting stretched beyond their limits.
 
The Antec 900 does not have a front door.

As for the spark, check all your cables to see if they have been chewed on and if you have really thick carpet try to keep your surge protector off the floor if you do have thick carpet. Got to Staples and buy a 24" x 18" rubber electronics mat to go under your computer if your desk might be causing it. The metal of a 900 can be bent pretty easily make sure nothing is touching that shouldn't be also make sure if you have a long video card like an 8800 that it isn't touching something it shouldn't and make sure that no cables are getting stretched beyond their limits.

I have a wood floor, solid wood desk. I'm thinking it was dog hair that got sucked in (I have 3 dogs, 2 long hairs). It's yet to happen with the new system I have built, thank god.
 
Physics maybe, the fans pull in air which hits up against the grills causing a magnetic charge? I haven't taken physics since high school (and also maintain that it is not real)so im not sure exactly what the cause is. But i know that air can get charged and if you are pulling that across a metal grill it could impart a magnetic charge over time.

Uh, what?


How about no.






As for the spark...you'll need to provide better description. Like whether it happened when you touched the case or not. Was it inside? Was it external to the case? Etc.
 
Back
Top