Antec 900 is a big dust magnet, how to solve the problem?

EarthBrain

Limp Gawd
For those who has the Antec 900 case, do you buy some type of filters to put in the front 2 fans to prevent dust from accumulating onto the fans and inside the case?

I cannot believe how much dust accumulate inside my case. I think I am going to have respiratory problem soon after doing the cleaning of the fans.

Basically. You can always use something like cut up pantyhose. Just remember to take them out and clean them every now and then.

Panty hose, fabric softerner, 3M filtrete just cut it down to size. Um get the scythe kama bay cooler and replace the fan with the antecs. Vacuum your house more.

Vacuum your house more.

+1 QFT. it also helps if the computer's no a desk and not on the floor (don't know if yours is or not). i vacuum weekly and it doesn't seem to be too bad. i open the case every month or two to blow it out, but that doesn't really seem much worse to me than any air-cool case.

Forget about hand cleaning your case...Invest in an air compressor and take your case outside once every two weeks or so and just blast the hell out of the inside..I just did mine and dropped my idle temp by 13 degrees..!!!

Forget about hand cleaning your case...Invest in an air compressor and take your case outside once every two weeks or so and just blast the hell out of the inside..I just did mine and dropped my idle temp by 13 degrees..!!!

You must have had a family of dust bunnies making home inside your case.
Sick!

Forget filtering just the fans, the whole front mesh is a dust magnet. Cleaning it reminds me of a lint trap on a dryer.

Even with filters I would still open the case once a month and waste a whole can of compressed air on it. Filters restrict to much air flow.

dust proof room! duh!

it also makes better conditions for taking apart harddrives and putting them back together.

no seriously. there are all kinds of things that you can use as a filter. or, you can buy another case. I love my cooler master centurion 5. the entire front bezel is mesh, and there is foam filters on the inside. By far it's the cleanest case I've ever owned.

do you know any specific model you that you would recommend? I've always wanted one to clean my pc, but never got around to looking for one.

i just recently purchased a pair of generic fan filters from fry's for my 900. The filters were encased in some kind of useless plastic frame that would not fit in my front intake fans. I took apart the frame and just took out the mesh shit inside and stuck it in front of the fan. It seems pretty cheap but I guess a filter is a filter.

1200 is full tower. 900 doesn't come with filters, and 300 is just a mini 900 that can still use ATX. forget my question about the mid tower, I'm going to mod it when I get the chance to fit a LCS.

i saw on hard forum a pic of a antec 900 with filters, it was V2 but havent seen it nowhere on line...

I have the NZXT Tempest. It has two fans on the front, both with filters. Plus all 9 bays have wire mesh and a soft filter on them. They get really freaking dusty, but I open my case every week or two (for reviews) and blow it out with canned air.

Coolermaster stacker 830SE has a filter in front of each 5.25" bay cover

My Xaser 3 (6 year old case) has filters on the main front intake fans and the side intake fans, why Antec hasn't followed suit is anyone's guess (don't like them for that reason, besides they haven't made an Aluminium case as of yet), pantyhose or air conditioner filters will work, the rest of the front of the case will let dust in so you need to either block that off or put more filtering material behind it.

A vacuum isn't as effective as a can of compressed air.

Be careful about adding filters, airflow can be a fickle bitch. Pantyhose isn't very restrictive, but you might find your case temps change drastically if you use anything thicker such as filter material from your A/C.

I use pantyhose over the fans, and vacuum it before it gets too restrictive. A compressor ($50 at walmart) to occasionally get the rest.

And don't try to turn your A/C into a ghetto air purifier. That didn't work so well for me, what a way to roast some hard drives...:eek:

Except you have to be careful to hold down the fan blades on your case fans, video card(s) and CPU to not blow them out with too much air pressure...then your idle temp will go up by 13 degrees!

Back