• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Antec 900 front end ports question

EclipseRydr

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 7, 2009
Messages
146
Hello. I have an Antec 900, had it for about 5-6 yrs I believe. I usually plug in my headset using a USB, but I'd like to leave the front end USB ports open for external hard drives or flash drives.

So what I used the 3.5mm jacks for headphone and microphone for my headset, and when I plug it in, it just doesn't feel right, feels bare, like nothing on the other end. And nothing registers when I plug them in those jacks. Am I missing a part or something?

I usually just buy retail desktops already built like Dell or HP, so this was my first non retail machine I guess I'd call it, probably not the right word.
 
Did you open it up and make sure the front panel headers are connected to the motherboard? Did you buy the machine ready-made or build it yourself? Either way, the connectors to the front audio jacks might have come loose from the MB or were never connected. Could be something missing inside the connectors but check for connections to MB first and then see if they will work. Just to be safe you might want to uplug the machine and ground yourself to the PSU or some other metal part before touching
around inside looking for stuff. Sounds like the USB headers are working but the audio connectors generally plug in farther from the USB connectors--depends on MB.
 
Last edited:
I haven't opened it up yet. I purchased it as a barebones machine. I did just buy one of those anti static wrist wraps, dunno if that'll help. But I should be looking at it this weekend.

Is there anything in particular I should look for? Cable, part? etc, thanks
 
So you've been using the machine a while and just never tried the front panel audio jacks? Where did you buy it and is there still a link to the machine online? If you aren't comfortable working inside the machine then just take it to a local place and ask them to check and see what's going on.

Yeah, the antistatic band will work, just unplug the machine form power source. If you don't have the MB owner's manual you can download it from the website you linked. It will show you where to locate the front panel audio connectors on the MB--then just trace the front panel wires to the MB and make sure they are connected or at least make sure they are tight. You should also have the wires from front USB ports connected to the MB. They will be in another location from the audio connectors. The audio wires are generally pretty small in diameter and the USB wire probably a bit thicker. Most of the front panel header connections generally are along the edges of the MB--bottom, right edge. The owner's manual will show you where they are.

There will also be power/reset wires coming from the front panel and connected to the MB. You can also download the User Manual for the case from the Antec website. Read it and the MB manual first so you can figure out what you are hunting and where it is located. If everything else has been working OK then really the only wires you are hunting are the front panel mic/headphone wires and the place they should be connected on the MB. If not certain about what to do or not do then be really careful. Might be simpler to take it in to a local computer place and have them look at it. Explore at your own risk:)
 
So you've been using the machine a while and just never tried the front panel audio jacks? Where did you buy it and is there still a link to the machine online? If you aren't comfortable working inside the machine then just take it to a local place and ask them to check and see what's going on.

Yeah, the antistatic band will work, just unplug the machine form power source. If you don't have the MB owner's manual you can download it from the website you linked. It will show you where to locate the front panel audio connectors on the MB--then just trace the front panel wires to the MB and make sure they are connected or at least make sure they are tight. You should also have the wires from front USB ports connected to the MB. They will be in another location from the audio connectors. The audio wires are generally pretty small in diameter and the USB wire probably a bit thicker. Most of the front panel header connections generally are along the edges of the MB--bottom, right edge. The owner's manual will show you where they are.

There will also be power/reset wires coming from the front panel and connected to the MB. You can also download the User Manual for the case from the Antec website. Read it and the MB manual first so you can figure out what you are hunting and where it is located. If everything else has been working OK then really the only wires you are hunting are the front panel mic/headphone wires and the place they should be connected on the MB. If not certain about what to do or not do then be really careful. Might be simpler to take it in to a local computer place and have them look at it. Explore at your own risk:)

I did try them some time ago but put it off until recently when I'm running out of USB ports. It was an ebay purchase, so I'm not sure if it still shows on my account. I have the motherboard manual, I'll take a look and see what I can find, thanks.
 
Duh! Doesn't the 900 have a sidewindow? If so you you can probably just check to see if the headers are connected without even having to take off the side panel--you'll still need to know where to look. Finally looked at a picture of the case and noticed the side window. MB manual will show the location of the connectors. Another question--you using onboard sound or a discrete sound card? That could make a difference.
 
Last edited:
Duh! Doesn't the 900 have a sidewindow? If so you you can probably just check to see if the headers are connected without even having to take off the side panel--you'll still need to know where to look. Finally looked at a picture of the case and noticed the side window. MB manual will show the location of the connectors. Another question--you using onboard sound or a discrete sound card? That could make a difference.

yes the Antec 900 has a side window, and I'm using onboard sound. I don't have a discrete sound card.

i took a picture of the wires running up to the top front of the case where the ports are... not sure if this picture helps

f00qpv.jpg
 
Should be a thick black cable alongside the cable that plugs into the USB header. Looks just like it, you'll need to open up the case completely and get comfortable inspecting around. Don't rush anything, and take a good look. The Audio one will be marked , here is a link to the cases manual which will help you.

http://www.antec.com/pdf/manuals/900 manual_us.pdf
 
Just noticed it doesn't show front audio. Here is what the cable will look like.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/6953/p1010175e.jpg

look at the pin holes and match it up with the correct pinout hole on your motherboard. it only fits one place, don't force it accidentally into a USB header and bend anything, match it up closely and make sure its a perfect fit with the correct pin missing. Think of it like Tetris or legos.
 
Just noticed it doesn't show front audio. Here is what the cable will look like.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/6953/p1010175e.jpg

look at the pin holes and match it up with the correct pinout hole on your motherboard. it only fits one place, don't force it accidentally into a USB header and bend anything, match it up closely and make sure its a perfect fit with the correct pin missing. Think of it like Tetris or legos.

ok thanks, if the cable is missing completely, where do I get one? I have a microcenter walking distance from where I live. do I get it from Antec or Gigabyte? thanks
 
A "friend" spilled a beer on mine. Called Antec for a replacement. They sent one free
 
hello again... I'm going to need some help please. So I pulled the side panel off to do a little inspecting, and I found the front audio port, but I don't think I have the cables. I also accidentally pull some cables out of their spot and now I don't know which way or how they go back.

I've taken some photos. The first two are the 3 ends that I accidentally pulled out, and the last one is the port them came from (in the corner, below the green IDE)

If anyone can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it... thanks.

ayqf15.jpg


i3e0t2.jpg


5k3fhx.jpg
 
Yep, was afraid this might happen. The little buggers pull loose real easily. If you have or can download the MB manual from the link you posted, it shows how to hook them back up. Page 3, step 7--part 7.2 even has a handy picture.

You pulled the Power Switch, HDD activity LED and Reset switch headers loose. From the picture you attached they go back in the area labelled F Panel--there are labels on the MB for HD, (Res)et and the PW should be right by them--can't see it in your picture--looks to be the blue square, the green square and the red square. There are two little prongs the connectors fit over. The polarity on the switches matters not all but the HDD LED won't work if it is reversed--it won't damage it but if it isn't working then just reverse the plug. Notice the little "+" marks in the colored squares--those indicate the positive wires and they are probably colored--looks like your common (negative) wires are white. Colored wire to "+" sign. Check the MB with the manual to see exactly which wire goes where.

So you did find the audio header pins? Nothing connected to them? Do you see any loose wires coming down from the top of the case that aren't connected? Those could be the mic and headphone wires if you find them. Unless they were cut loose hard to think they aren't there as I believe they are soldered to the mic and phone jacks. The other ends should probably have connectors something like the ones you inadvertently pulled loose. Could they be wrapped up and stuffed somewhere near the top of the case?
 
Last edited:
Yep, was afraid this might happen. The little buggers pull loose real easily. If you have or can download the MB manual from the link you posted, it shows how to hook them back up. Page 3, step 7--part 7.2 even has a handy picture.

You pulled the Power Switch, HDD activity LED and Reset switch headers loose. From the picture you attached they go back in the area labelled F Panel--there are labels on the MB for HD, (Res)et and the PW should be right by them--can't see it in your picture--looks to be the blue square, the green square and the red square. There are two little prongs the connectors fit over. The polarity on the switches matters not all but the HDD LED won't work if it is reversed--it won't damage it but if it isn't working then just reverse the plug. Notice the little "+" marks in the colored squares--those indicate the positive wires and they are probably colored--looks like your common (negative) wires are white. Colored wire to "+" sign. Check the MB with the manual to see exactly which wire goes where.

So you did find the audio header pins? Nothing connected to them? Do you see any loose wires coming down from the top of the case that aren't connected? Those could be the mic and headphone wires if you find them. Unless they were cut loose hard to think they aren't there as I believe they are soldered to the mic and phone jacks. The other ends should probably have connectors something like the ones you inadvertently pulled loose. Could they be wrapped up and stuffed somewhere near the top of the case?

I found the HD Audio cable linked above, I unplugged everything from my mobo and pulled the mobo out to install the CPU and CPU fan. I took the DVD drive out but I couldn't see up above where the 3.5mm jacks are. So I imagine the cable is there but it's not plugged in? Not sure how to get it in, maybe more unscrewing.
 
Back
Top