Antec 900, compatible Heatsinks?

KatoKal

Limp Gawd
Hey, just picked up the Antec 900 case, bought 3 x Scythe SFF21F S-FLEX 120mm Case Fan (63.7 CFM 28 dBA) to replace the Antec 3-way fans in the case.

My question is, if anyone has any experience with this, I plan on putting an E6600 on board the Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 (Rev. 3), what will fit in that case?

I have not bought a side fan (hoping to not have to install one) to possibly leave room for a larger heat-sink.

My ideas for the heat-sink is the Thermalright 120 Ultra with another Scythe SFF21F on it, or the Tuniq Tower, but like I said, will these fit with the side fan installed? Or just leave it be without one?

Hope some people have had some experience with this!!!

Thanks!

I can honestly say right now, that if I was to put a side fan in mine with the A64 pro in there, it'd be cutting it pretty close. Si I'd advise you to leave out the side fan.

I don't know if the 900's design changed hugely, but my side fan did not come anywhere close to the CPU socket; if anything, it'll interfere with a too-tall expansion card.

Zalman 9500 fit just fine for the record.

I plan on putting in an E-VGA 8800GTX for the video card, but no one has any experience with this with a larger heat-sink such as the Tuniq Tower or Thermalright?

I have a Tuniq Tower in this case.

Without the fan on the side, it fits with no clearance problems. Because I wanted extra cooling on my VGA card, I cut some of the corner off my 120mm fan to get it fit in there. The 120mm overlapped by just a few mm, and cutting through the plastic fan was a breeze with a hand saw.

Because I wanted extra cooling on my VGA card, I cut some of the corner off my 120mm fan to get it fit in there. The 120mm overlapped by just a few mm, and cutting through the plastic fan was a breeze with a hand saw.

Do you think it would be possible to get a smaller width 120 mm fan? Maybe a 20mm? As opposed to the 25mm ones?

I had a scythe mine on a 939 layout in mine andthe side fan would have to be 2 mm to fit lol...
with a 775 layout it was the same also. I think the advantage of a bigger cpu hsf overruled the benefits of a side fan blowing on the vga. If your using both of the front mounted 120's you should have some decent flow going on I did.

I had a scythe mine on a 939 layout in mine andthe side fan would have to be 2 mm to fit lol...with a 775 layout it was the same

Alright, that makes sense. I will be keeping it without a side fan provided I can find a decent price on the Thermalright 120 Extreme. I will be using two Scythe fans in the front like I said, one in the back, and then the 200mm on the top blowing air out. :)

Friend of mins has a 8800gtx and a zalman 9500 with a side fan and it fits just fine. All of this on a Gigabyte DS3 board.

The thermalright ultra 120 extreme does not fit in the antec 900 without a tiny amount of dremeling (or nibbling, whatever way you have to cut sheet metal). A small piece needs to be taken out of the case for the 3 copper pins at the top of the ultra 120 to fit.

After that, it fits perfectly and I have a 8800gtx below it.

It's really not a big deal to do at all... just remember to install it before you the motherboard in the case like all tower coolers.

Not sure, never seen the regular one in person. It's the 3 small pieces of heatpipe that stick out of the top.

I have antec 900 with ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro Specs put it at 4.9 inches tall (126.5mm), I have less than 1 Inch clearance betwwen the top of the heatsink and the side panel fan. Probably closer to 3/4" clearance.

Please note that this is from the very tips of the heatpipes to the fan, I do not know if the specs quoted measure from the base to the top fin or to the tips of the heatpipes. the heatpipes stick out about 1/2" above the top fin.

I'm just kind-of worried cuz I'm getting an Antec 900 and I hate modding or dremelling..does anyone have experience with the 900 and the Ultra 120 original combo and whether or not it will fit?

I have a antec 900 case and a ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme and it fits but it is really tight and I cant use the side fan...no cutting requierd

I don't know if the 900's design changed hugely, but my side fan did not come anywhere close to the CPU socket; if anything, it'll interfere with a too-tall expansion card.

Zalman 9500 fit just fine for the record.

Depending on the motherboard there can be issues, the 900 has the side fan sitting at a 45 deg angle, the top corner does sit high enough that some heatsinks could hit it if there to tall. Like I said in my post earlier, theres less than an inch between the top corner of my side panel fan and myheatsnk, and my heatsink is not that big compared to others.

Back