Antec 1200 vs Antec P182

FooS24

n00b
Have looked at many reviews and prices. Here is what I have come down to so far.

Antec 1200

$155 Off Newegg (On Sale)
Full Tower = HUGE
Heavy Due To Design
Lightshow 24/7
Amazing Airflow
Supposedly Loud on Full Fan-Speed

Antec P182

$144 Off Amazon
Mid Tower
Semi-Heavy
Sleek Amazing Looking Design
VERY Silent
Supposedly Good Airflow
Flimsy Door Hinges and No Case Speaker
Seemingly Cheaper Interior

Was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with either of these and if so could you please give your input. Thanks in advance!

You're comparing different categories of cases aimed at different users. Pick the one that either shows you're flamboyant who like LEDs and attention or a silent hermit who would rather keep to himself without disturbance. :D

I have the P182, and it would have never crossed my mind to compare it with the 1200.. two completly different beasts. You don't provide any info on what use or what hardware you're gonna put in the case. The 1200 is obviously for hardcore gamers with overclocked quad cores and sli/crossfire setups who don't mind windows and more lights than a christmas tree. Are you that kind of user?

Antec 1200
Full Tower = HUGE
Supposedly Loud on Full Fan-Speed
Wrong: As noisy as components in it. Because thousand and one holes magpie's nest design leaks slightest noise directly out. (but agree about Tri-cools being noisy except at low setting)
And it's not huge: If case is supposed to be big there better be support for E-ATX motherboard meaning space for installing everything without blocking access to anything else and now here we have graphic card blocking rear end of 5.25" bays:
http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/Antec_Twelve_Hundred/index4.shtml
http://metku.net/index.html?path=reviews/antec-300-1200/index6
This is what enough space for graphic cards means:
http://www.nordichardware.com/skrivelser_img/532/A71_20.jpg

P182 is actually really heavy for its size because of thick low resonance multilayer construction of panels.

Overall those are really from "opposite ends of spectrum" so like said what kind of components you're going to put into it and what kind features do you want from case, no nonsense functionality or (cheap) bling-bling look?
And in case of wanting more balanced design check Lian Li A70/A71.
http://www.nordichardware.com/Reviews/?page=5&skrivelse=532
(A70 lacks door, otherwise both have silencing friendly design, panels just need some heavy damping/bitumen mat)

Pick the one that either shows you're flamboyant who like LEDs and attention or a silent hermit who would rather keep to himself without disturbance. :D

You summed up my existence in one sentence :(

But at least now I know that I need a P182.

One draw of Antec 1200 (which I very like, but has some flaws) - 7 bays on backplate, that means no tri-SLI.

Leds are no problem, it's easy to kill them :p

Other draw is that there are some WC problems - PSU is down at case, so not much space for pump and reservoir, actually there is no space there, so will have now to do some creative thinking how to install wc setup in it.

I was in the same boat as you. I think I'm going with the P182, as I want it silence, don't care a whole lot for looks since it'll be in a cabinet. Really, what I was looking for silence, cooling and cable management.

Have looked at many reviews and prices. Here is what I have come down to so far.

Antec 1200

$155 Off Newegg (On Sale)
Full Tower = HUGE Yeah, it's pretty big. The Nine Hundred Two is basically a mini-Twelve Hundred. Same finish inside. Cable management, etc. I'd probably get one if I didn't have a Twelve Hundred already.
Heavy Due To Design No, it's not a LAN party rig. It's listed as 32lbs. empty, so maybe 50lbs. on average for a complete system. Not a big deal if you have a semi-permanent place for it. Its weight is really nice because it won't budge when you plug in a thumb drive, connect/disconnect stuff, etc.
Lightshow 24/7 Only if you keep the stock fans. ;)
Amazing Airflow Definitely.
Supposedly Loud on Full Fan-Speed The ginormous fan on top can get loud, but it's so big you really shouldn't ever need to full-blast it. Mine is always on low.

I love mine, so there's some input.

I replaced all the case fans with Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E fans, and slapped on one my heatsink. I also got one of these to control them, not only because of the military switches (I'm a little tired of knobs), but because the mesh front goes very nicely with the rest of the case.

Back