antec 1200 front 3.0 USB kinda

badams

n00b
So I am doing my first build and I purchased an antec 1200 because of the great reviews and everyone saying that it keeps the system extremely cool. I also purchased the asus z68pro which has a plug in for a front side 3.0 USB. I go and open my case up and there is a cable for the frontside USB dangling there that I have to basically run through the case out the back then plug into one of the rear 3.0 USB's. Pretty lame in my opinion, I am going to to see if new egg will swap the case for another one that actually has a front side 3.0 USB that I can plug into the motherboard vs running a long adapter cable through the entire case and out the back.

Does anyone have recommendations on another case that can actually take advantage of motherboards plug in for a 3.0 USB in the front of the case, or just in general another great case to build a computer in. I would prefer one that has filters on the fans but mostly just want a great case to build a computer in that will help keep everything cool.

As always thank you for your help, my first build setup has come out great because of all the advice!

It has nothing to do with the front panel USB3.0s. It has to do with USB3.0 headers on the mobo. So far theres no mobos (Unless they are out now) that has USB3.0 headers, So you'll have to route the usb3.0 cable out to the back of the case and plug it to a usb3.0 port.

I highly recommend the Corsair 650D :)

the mother board I got actually does have one, I really don't care much about the front 3.0 USB just don't want the damn cable running through my system out back. This is what i'm putting together, any recommendations on a good case that will stay cool??

XFX HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Seagate Barracuda ST3500413AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

thanks as always!

so your cable is the male 3.0 cable and you want to connect the cable to mobo?

I think you need a adapter like this for usb3.0:

USB-5F-APort_02.jpg

I think so far the only case that has a USB 3.0 connector that plugs directly to the mobo is the Fractal Design Arc.

I suggest you keep your case and use one of the adapters posted here.

thank you so much for the info, fractal case looks nice I will need to read some reviews on it. I might just get the adapter though!

I like the corsair 650D better, Even if it doesnt have a USB3.0 internal header cable, At least the cables are all black.

I'm waiting for Lian-Li to release a new I/O front panel with proper USB 3.0 internal headers. Using the CU-01 adapter looks ugly.

As far as I could tell by scrounging around websites in English and in Japanese, those internal cables aren't available on the consumer market yet. It seems to me that it's a "future proofing" feature. Just like my ASUS p67 Sabertooth can support 32GB of RAM, but there aren't any compatible sticks (8GB 240-pin DIMMs) for normal desktops.

I bought what I thought was an adapter for my header which would give me 2 front end 3.0 ports in a 3.5" bay. When I opened the package, it had long fat cables to plug into the rear USB 3.0 ports. That's what I get for buying something from a Japanese website, my reading level is about elementary school level or worse.

My advice would be: get the case that you love, disregard the front USB for now. In the future you can use one of your front bays to utilize the header on the board. For the time being I'm using the part I bought, but may take it out later when the market catches up with the tech.

I also realized that 32GB of memory is a bit overkill for my needs at the moment. It's nice to know the expandability is there though.

Good luck with your case hunt.

thank you all for the info, I stuck with the antec 1200 I hate the front USB cable still! I had a nightmare with the cable management too but will keep working on it

Back