Anouther "Hows this build look thread".

moro

Weaksauce
I am getting about a $1,000 bonus to upgrade my PC (not a business PC its mine) I use at home for work. I only plan to use the existing case, DVD drive, floppy, and externals (LCD, mouse, keyboard). So its pretty much a new build. I do a bit of everything and need this PC to do all of it. Graphics and video editing (light not heavy duty), Coding (apps as well as web pages), bit of gaming, watch movies, surf, office work, and umm anything else you can do with a PC. I will most likely run Vista ultimate 32, XP Pro 32, And a few flavors of Linux 32 and 64 bit. I usually have a few VMs available, but I often have 5 or 6 native OSs loaded. I like to have the best and fastest tool for a job on hand. Its not odd for me to have 20+ apps open at once. I multi task out the wazzo. Yeah I will OC.

So here are the parts as I have it currently. Please comment.

Power - Corsair 550VX -I like Corsair, I like the HX but this is a closed case and not worried about cable looks other then a good air flow.

CPU - E6750 Tempted to go with a Quad for multitasking

Memory - Gskill 2 x2GB (4GB) DDR2 800 (for Linux 64Bit and that one extra GB 32 bit can use.)

HD - WD5000AAKS Western Dig 500GB (most likely get 2 more for a raid-0 for Video editing.)

Mobo - Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R (R for adding the Raid array later)

Vid card - EVGA 8800GTS 512MB (EVGA for the stepup, though it looks like a small refresh not a big upgrade from Nvidia in the next couple months)

Thats around 1K depending on where I source it. I'll add in a good air cooler for the Proc, Tuniq tower or thermalright 120 ultra, and maybe a new DVD drive. My old one is PATA and several years old. I have fans, though I may order some Yate Loons to quieten down the hurricane sound.

If you are tempted to get a Quad, then get the Quad. If it's a G0 stepping, you'll likely be able to OC quite well.

Note that if you are going to run 32-bit operating systems, you won't have access to all of your four gigs of RAM. At most, a 32-bit OS will see and utilize four MINUS the total amount of component memory in your system (i.e. memory in your video card.) --- ah I see you are already aware of this, nm.

Why do you want to stick with 32-bit Windows?

Mark.

why stick with 32bit windows? hrm. Mostly becasue I already have a copy of 32bit XP and Vista :) If I was buying a new license I may well go with 64bit vista and up the memory to 8GB. With the loss of addressing efficency I'm not all that convinced of the benifits of 4GB under 64bit verses 3.2GB or whatever you happen to end up with under 32bit. Now 8GB under 64bit...

why stick with 32bit windows? hrm. Mostly becasue I already have a copy of 32bit XP and Vista :) If I was buying a new license I may well go with 64bit vista and up the memory to 8GB. With the loss of addressing efficency I'm not all that convinced of the benifits of 4GB under 64bit verses 3.2GB or whatever you happen to end up with under 32bit. Now 8GB under 64bit...

Im sure if you own a vista 32 bit licence, you can transfer it to a 64 bit licence.

If you have a retail copy of Vista, you can get the 64-bit edition for $10. The double-width pointers do not effect performance in any noticeable fashion with 95% of software likely to be used on a home / power / gaming rig (and this includes tools like CS3 and video encoders.) On the other hand, the extra 512meg to 1 gig will likely make a difference, especially if you multi-task.

Mark.

If you have a retail copy of Vista, you can get the 64-bit edition for $10. The double-width pointers do not effect performance in any noticeable fashion with 95% of software likely to be used on a home / power / gaming rig (and this includes tools like CS3 and video encoders.) On the other hand, the extra 512meg to 1 gig will likely make a difference, especially if you multi-task.

Mark.

Its worth the $10, futureproofing your OS.

oo didn't know about the upgrade option for $10. I will do that. Thanks.

You could also borrow the x64 version from a freind, or torrent it, as you allready own the licence.

Your build looks fine. I'd go with the Q6600 though, for your needs.

What size monitor do you have? You can most likely save money by going with the 8800GT for around $250, if you can find one. I think ncixus.com was the last place to have it for a good price. Check the hotdeals subforum, though.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3175&p=4

On monitors I have a Dell 3007WFP and a Dell 2000fp. I plan on replacing the 2000fp with a higher resolution monitor. So I would like to use the EVGA step-up. Sink $200 or so more and get a GTX when the 9800 comes out. Dunno about the new GX2 I'm a little leary on it. Since work is paying for the first card, its cheaper to get a GTX in the step-up if I get a GTS now instead of a GT.

Have you thought about SLI? lol. With a 30" monitor, thats when SLI is most worth it. I hope the new cards come out within your step up time frame.

not really, but I probably should... hrm. Wonder how 2x 8800GT would compare to the upcoming 9800GTX at 2560x1600.

Yeah step-up timing may be iffy for me. The GTX is billed for march release I think. If I buy now 90 days be up in early April. Of course I have to wait for EVGA to place a 9800GTX on the step-up program before I could ask for one. So the question is will EVGA place a 9800GTX in step-up within 90 days.

They will place a stepup yes, aslong as the card is out.

Back