Another Windows 10 Install Question

MGV001

n00b
Long time lurker here and have learned so much that is appreciated. Quick question:

I built a Win 7 machine back in 2011. I am eligible for the free Win 10 upgrade. I do not want to upgrade the Win 7 machine with Windows 10.

I am currently building a new machine. I have used the media creation tool to create a USB flash drive to install Win 10 on the new machine. The new build will have everything new, including motherboard, processor, HD, video card, etc., but will be using the same case. Is this a proper free upgrade path, or will I need to purchase Windows 10?

I apologize if this question has been asked before.

Thanks!

You will need to purchase a copy of Windows 10 for that new box. It really is no different than any other time with Microsoft Operating Systems, you have always had to have a qualifying OS installed or at least the CD (Win98) in order to be able to install an upgrade.

I don't get it. Do you want to upgrade a new machine that has no OS with a license from an old PC?

I don't get it. Do you want to upgrade a new machine that has no OS with a license from an old PC?

Yes. Because I won't be using the old box any longer, so I didn't know if this path was part of the "free" upgrade. Seems strange that I can get a free copy of Windows 10 on a machine I don't want, but must pay for a new license on a machine I do want (particularly because I will not be using the old box, and therefore, never take advantage of the free upgrade). Oh well, just thought I would save a bit of money if this was a legit path.

Yes. Because I won't be using the old box any longer, so I didn't know if this path was part of the "free" upgrade. Seems strange that I can get a free copy of Windows 10 on a machine I don't want, but must pay for a new license on a machine I do want (particularly because I will not be using the old box, and therefore, never take advantage of the free upgrade). Oh well, just thought I would save a bit of money if this was a legit path.

Is the license of the old machine an OEM Dell type or something that was purchased through a place like Newegg? You should be able to use that key in a Windows 10 clean install as an upgrade if you install from a usb or dvd using the Media Creation Tool. However, you would need to be no longer using the old machine at all.

Long time lurker here and have learned so much that is appreciated. Quick question:

I built a Win 7 machine back in 2011. I am eligible for the free Win 10 upgrade. I do not want to upgrade the Win 7 machine with Windows 10.

I am currently building a new machine. I have used the media creation tool to create a USB flash drive to install Win 10 on the new machine. The new build will have everything new, including motherboard, processor, HD, video card, etc., but will be using the same case. Is this a proper free upgrade path, or will I need to purchase Windows 10?

I apologize if this question has been asked before.

Thanks!

You might be OK as long as the Win 7 key is only being used on a single PC.

I had a previously activated Win 8 key for PC I parted out. That PC was inactive for months. I was about to activate that key via M$ phone support and install it on a brand new build and then upgrade to Win 10.

Thank you for the replies.

Is the license of the old machine an OEM Dell type or something that was purchased through a place like Newegg? You should be able to use that key in a Windows 10 clean install as an upgrade if you install from a usb or dvd using the Media Creation Tool. However, you would need to be no longer using the old machine at all.

It is not OEM, but rather, a custom build through parts ordered on Newegg. I also purchased the Windows 7 DVD during this build (back in 2011) and used that to install the OS. I do not believe I have ever used that key a second time.

You might be OK as long as the Win 7 key is only being used on a single PC.

I had a previously activated Win 8 key for PC I parted out. That PC was inactive for months. I was about to activate that key via M$ phone support and install it on a brand new build and then upgrade to Win 10.

This might be my situation, as I do not recall ever installing Windows 7 on another PC in the house (as the rest are laptops purchased through Dell).

So, this begs my next question: Can I install Windows 10 on the new build and then later, if necessary, purchase the key? In other words, get everything up and running first, then activate Windows 10. Would Windows 10 (from the USB created using the media creation tool) install at all (my research suggests that I can "skip" the product key step, get the OS running, then later either enter the key, or purchase a key)?

It still depends on WHAT specific version of Windows 7 you purchased and by that I mean the actual retail version (which is a license which you can transfer to different machines anytime you like but only one of them can be activated at a time) or if it was the OEM System Builder version which is cheaper in cost than the retail version (boxed or not) but it comes with the limitation on the license of being tied to one machine and once that machine is activated you technically can't transfer it to another one at a later time).

If it's retail, you're good to go and installing the Threshold 2 release aka build 1511 will work just by providing the Windows 7 Product Key you paid for.

If it's the OEM System Builder version, well, you're technically stuck - because you already used it for the one machine and it was activated on that machine - but you can call Microsoft with the little white lie of "My motherboard fried so I had to buy a new one and I need a new Product Key to activate this new build/etc..." which will usually get you a new key without any issues.

It still depends on WHAT specific version of Windows 7 you purchased and by that I mean the actual retail version (which is a license which you can transfer to different machines anytime you like but only one of them can be activated at a time) or if it was the OEM System Builder version which is cheaper in cost than the retail version (boxed or not) but it comes with the limitation on the license of being tied to one machine and once that machine is activated you technically can't transfer it to another one at a later time).

If it's retail, you're good to go and installing the Threshold 2 release aka build 1511 will work just by providing the Windows 7 Product Key you paid for.

If it's the OEM System Builder version, well, you're technically stuck - because you already used it for the one machine and it was activated on that machine - but you can call Microsoft with the little white lie of "My motherboard fried so I had to buy a new one and I need a new Product Key to activate this new build/etc..." which will usually get you a new key without any issues.

Thank you. I will check when I get home. As I sit here at work, I want to say it was the retail version of Windows 7 with up to 3 installs, but I cannot be sure.

Back