• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Another why are my temps high thread - e6600

memphist0

Gawd
Joined
Nov 18, 2000
Messages
578
I have a E6600 oc'd to 3.4 GHz. It is cooled by a Sythe Ninja Rev B with two Sflex-f fans. Artic Silver 5 for TIM. Installed in a case, side panel off, with side panel on temps go up 5-7C.

Room Temp 25-26C, it's Florida

Idle temps are 33-34C
Folding on both cores is ~50C
Prime95 on both cores is 69-70C

One thing I noticed is Folding doesn't come close to maxing out the cores even though they are reporting 100% usage.

My problem is these temps seem excessive, the idle and folding seem OK but the prime95 doesn't make since. I've tried reseating and using various fan combos with no luck. In fact on fan vs two makes no difference in CPU temp where revies show a 5-10C drop.

Any suggestions?
 
I have a E6600 oc'd to 3.4 GHz. It is cooled by a Sythe Ninja Rev B with two Sflex-f fans. Artic Silver 5 for TIM. Installed in a case, side panel off, with side panel on temps go up 5-7C.

Room Temp 25-26C, it's Florida

Idle temps are 33-34C
Folding on both cores is ~50C
Prime95 on both cores is 69-70C

One thing I noticed is Folding doesn't come close to maxing out the cores even though they are reporting 100% usage.

My problem is these temps seem excessive, the idle and folding seem OK but the prime95 doesn't make since. I've tried reseating and using various fan combos with no luck. In fact on fan vs two makes no difference in CPU temp where revies show a 5-10C drop.

Any suggestions?

That sounds about right for 3.4GHz. I have mine running at 3.2GHz and it gets up to 60C when running Prime95. The more you increase your vcore, the higher your temps will go.

Getting the Xigmatec 120mm rifle cooler that gets mentioned here might bring your temps down.
 
I'm in the same boat. I'm at 3.2 (on water, but my room is damn hot (stupid AC is the weakest in our computer room) and when I'm loading I get up around 58... but if I hit 60, i crash. I wish mine could go to 70C.
 
Considering your ambient temps are very high, you're not doing too badly. If you can do something to lower the room temperature, that would probably help your CPU temps more than anything else.
 
I
ve thought about turning the AC down to lower the ambient, but these are 24/7 speeds so I don't want to pay for the extra a/c
 
whats the vcore your running right now?

my e6600 is under water and oc'ed to 3.6 with a 8x multi and idles @ 35c with A/C off loads around 48-50c again with no A/C also my vcore is 1.328 (vid 1.285)
 
As long as its stable, the temps aren't really a problem. Your CPU can handle temperatures close to 100C, so if your operating temps are closer to 50-60C then you're fine.
 
I'm having a similar issue, just doesn't seem right when I do a search for other E6600's.

I'm currently running:

Thermaltake Armor VA8000BWS (full tower case with decent cooling)
EVGA 680i sli
Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4ghz stock)
Zalman 9700 cooler
overclocked to 3431.5mhz
9x multi
1.500v (1.448v after vdrop)
Load temp = 71c

Just seems excessive. I've seen screenshots with people same revision and stepping as my chip running 3.4ghz with like 1.35v under 60c.

It seems anything above 2.6ghz isn't stable until I give the chip 1.45-1.5v at that voltage its just as effieicent to push the FSB up as far as it will go which gets me into 3.4ghz, but the load temps never seem to get below 60-70c, unless i put it at the stock 2.4ghz with 1.0v (stable too) which gives me a load temp of around 50c.

My first thought was the cpu fan was not making good contact with the heat spreader. I've reseated the cpu fan about 4 times over the past year and the temps never seem to go down.

The pc is located in a basement room, so the ambient temp in the room is usually around 20c.

The ambient temp monitor from riva tuner, which is supposedly reading the case temp from the video card is 40c on full cpu load (not gpu load). Not sure how accurate that is though.

I'm not sure why my temps are so high. I use AS3 for setting the cpu fan, and before that I used the termal compound that zalman provided with the fan.

Any suggestions/thoughts?
 
your going to have to find a way to lower those volts or get a cooler to handle them better

bios update?
 
I'm having a similar issue, just doesn't seem right when I do a search for other E6600's.

I'm currently running:

Thermaltake Armor VA8000BWS (full tower case with decent cooling)
EVGA 680i sli
Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4ghz stock)
Zalman 9700 cooler
overclocked to 3431.5mhz
9x multi
1.500v (1.448v after vdrop)
Load temp = 71c

Just seems excessive. I've seen screenshots with people same revision and stepping as my chip running 3.4ghz with like 1.35v under 60c.

It seems anything above 2.6ghz isn't stable until I give the chip 1.45-1.5v at that voltage its just as effieicent to push the FSB up as far as it will go which gets me into 3.4ghz, but the load temps never seem to get below 60-70c, unless i put it at the stock 2.4ghz with 1.0v (stable too) which gives me a load temp of around 50c.

My first thought was the cpu fan was not making good contact with the heat spreader. I've reseated the cpu fan about 4 times over the past year and the temps never seem to go down.

The pc is located in a basement room, so the ambient temp in the room is usually around 20c.

The ambient temp monitor from riva tuner, which is supposedly reading the case temp from the video card is 40c on full cpu load (not gpu load). Not sure how accurate that is though.

I'm not sure why my temps are so high. I use AS3 for setting the cpu fan, and before that I used the termal compound that zalman provided with the fan.

Any suggestions/thoughts?

Were these people demonstrating the below 60C temps running Prime/small ffts? And were they air cooled?

As I've been doing research on this I've noticed there are a lot of different opinions on what a cpu under load is doing. As I pointed out folding claims 100% load but is 10C cooler than Prime95. I reread AnandTech's cooler shootout and they were only using a FarCry loop to load the CPUs. And the few people I have seen use prime95 or orthos are not using small ffts. I'm starting to feel the temps are normal it is just several others aren't testing the same.
 
I'll see if I can find the threads with the results and post a link here when I get back later today.

I think they were running small ffts but can't remember 100%.

I've been testing with small ffts, but I'm sure its safe to say no program will load a cpu like that, since every other method of getting 100% cpu utilization has never resulted in so much heat from my cpu.

Is testing with small ffts in orthos/prime95 pointless?
 
Try video encoding x264 with easyMKV or something similar. It will stress all cores 100% and get the system as hot as it will get. My Q6600 gets hotter with this than with Orthos. Just another tool to try.
 
Found the thread with the overclocking database/chart for the conroe chips.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=127379

Some of the numbers and temps these guys are getting with same stepping and revision (stepping 6 revision b2) chips just dwarf mine. I realize all chips perform a bit differently, but I feel like something I'm doing is wrong.

I downloaded the latest bios for my evga board last night (p32, was using p31 prior) and changed a few settings.

I'm now 4 and a half hours stable with small ffts with the following settings:

cpu 3.2ghz
vcore = 1.36875 (bios setting bios actual reads 1.33v) cpuz shows 1.320v on load
multi = 8x
FSB = 1600mhz 1.4v (400mhz)
mem = 1:1 ratio @ 800mhz (linked and synced) 4-4-4-12-2t timing 2.1v

load temp = 59*c

Its running cooler, and the FSB is higher with the lower multi, but I lose quite a bit of MHZ off the cpu. Not sure what the performance difference will equal because I haven't benched it yet.

This does seem a little more reasonable though, but still nothing compaired to others successes.

Still feels like something is wrong.

EDIT* Orthos failure at 4 hours 56 mins.... changing vcore to 1.3750 in bios (1.336v idle in cpuz and 1.320v on load in cpuz)
 
Back
Top