• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Another "which fan question" after much research

Webberson

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 4, 2009
Messages
112
I will have a i7 920 with a Prolimatech Megahalem heat sink and need to know which fan to use. I have looked at the Xbit review and have narrowed my choice down to 2 fans and I would like opinions on which one to get.


Scythe S-Flex 64 CFM 28 dBA 1600 RPM Egg=$17
Scythe SlipStream 88 CFM 33 dBA 1600 RPM Egg=$9

BTW - I will have a rheostat type fan controller for this fan.
 
The CFM to noise ratio seems almost unbelievable...

Don't, because it is. Same thing when the V10 came out with the same fan. That is the noise rating for the SLOWEST speed of the fan, which if I remember is 700rpm, NOT the full 2,000rpm the fan runs at, which is also stated in the specs it says "90 CFM (maximum RPM)". And on top of that mfg's fluff their numbers. The S-Flex is the best choice out of the two you listed and do a great job on HS's, the Slipstreams not so much, they push allot more air in a free (or case) environment, but when dealing with higher static pressure they fall behind, because they have more thinner blades. Another fan to look at is the GT fan, that is my top choice for a HS fan right now. Since you have a controller I would suggest the highest speed GT fan, found here.
 
I'm using two Slipstream 1600 rpms on my Megahalems, and I have no complaints. Even with both of them at full speed, they're really hard to hear. People say that they don't have enough static pressure, but after testing with a bunch of other fans that I and my friends have laying around, I never saw a difference in the temps I was getting.
 
I'm using two Slipstream 1600 rpms on my Megahalems, and I have no complaints. Even with both of them at full speed, they're really hard to hear. People say that they don't have enough static pressure, but after testing with a bunch of other fans that I and my friends have laying around, I never saw a difference in the temps I was getting.

It's not always about temps, it's about noise vs temps, if you have 2 at 1600 rpm and cant hear them, then your room must be much louder than mine. You have to take into account room temps, case flow, heat output, rpm of the fans you used and how many you used.
 
I'm using two Slipstream 1600 rpms on my Megahalems, and I have no complaints. Even with both of them at full speed, they're really hard to hear. People say that they don't have enough static pressure, but after testing with a bunch of other fans that I and my friends have laying around, I never saw a difference in the temps I was getting.
The fact that you're using two means that you're doubling the static pressure compared to having a single fan, so you wouldn't experience any of the effects of using a fan with a lower static pressure.
 
Don't, because it is. Same thing when the V10 came out with the same fan. That is the noise rating for the SLOWEST speed of the fan, which if I remember is 700rpm, NOT the full 2,000rpm the fan runs at, which is also stated in the specs it says "90 CFM (maximum RPM)". And on top of that mfg's fluff their numbers. The S-Flex is the best choice out of the two you listed and do a great job on HS's, the Slipstreams not so much, they push allot more air in a free (or case) environment, but when dealing with higher static pressure they fall behind, because they have more thinner blades. Another fan to look at is the GT fan, that is my top choice for a HS fan right now. Since you have a controller I would suggest the highest speed GT fan, found here.

I won't disagree that the 20dba has got to be at its lowest speed, but I have yet to need to slow it down as I can't hear any motor noise or airflow noise. My 230mm HAF fans are louder than this thing from where I sit. If your case sits on the floor, about 2ft to my left, you will never hear the fans. My 1800rpm Xiggy makes more noise then this thing.
 
I won't disagree that the 20dba has got to be at its lowest speed, but I have yet to need to slow it down as I can't hear any motor noise or airflow noise. My 230mm HAF fans are louder than this thing from where I sit. If your case sits on the floor, about 2ft to my left, you will never hear the fans. My 1800rpm Xiggy makes more noise then this thing.
The Scythe fans still push more air at the same noise levels.
 
What noise levels are we talking about?

While I only have a Ultra Kaze and Slip Stream Slim my complaint with Scythe fans are motor noise. This was the thing that really impressed me with the Cooler Master fan. Even my Xiggy makes motor noise at 1800 rpm though not at much as my SS Slim which is 1600 rpms. The Cooler Master makes zero motor noise. I'm talking ear to the fan zero motor noise. Maybe there was motor noise, but the noise of the air was louder than the motor which isn't much as I've already stated.
 
What noise levels are we talking about?

While I only have a Ultra Kaze and Slip Stream Slim my complaint with Scythe fans are motor noise. This was the thing that really impressed me with the Cooler Master fan. Even my Xiggy makes motor noise at 1800 rpm though not at much as my SS Slim which is 1600 rpms. The Cooler Master makes zero motor noise. I'm talking ear to the fan zero motor noise. Maybe there was motor noise, but the noise of the air was louder than the motor which isn't much as I've already stated.

It's not about noise levels, but CFM to noise, the Scythe wins out. Also, I can see why you don't think the Scythe are the best choice, the Kaze is just a loud ass fan with ALLOT of motor noise and buzz, it's sound profile is worse than my Delta fans. the slim I have never used so I can not comment. The GT and S-Flex are nothing like the Kaze line of fans.
 
Back
Top