Another what console should I get?

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
long time PC gamer, no longer have the time and space for PC gaming.

I’d like to get a console but don’t know which one.

I’ll play with headphones on and on a 65 inch LG OLED HDR 4K TV.

The kicker is, shit for internet speed. New house and internet access is quite bad 3-5 down and 1 up.

I’m liking the new Xbox, but how important is connectivity with either console?

I never do FPS. Like strategy and base or character building games.

Edit. Internet speed isn’t gonna get better and I’m not moving.

The internet speed thing isn't really an issue unless you buy your game digitally... they can be enormous these days. Forza 7 for example is ~96bg, Halo 5 is like 55gb etc. If you buy the disc version, that'll save you the majority of downloading time, but it will likely have to download 1 or 2 gigs of patches and updates (maybe more depending on the game).

As for which console to get, basically it boils down to exclusives because they're both pretty solid hardware (PS4 Pro vs. Xbox One X.) I would avoid the original PS4/Xbox One S if you can afford it, especially since you have a 4k TV. Most people would agree that the PS4 has far better exclusives (the Xbox One has basically none worth mentioning honestly, unless you enjoy racing games in which case the Forza series is always great on Xbox.)

Reactions: Liver
like this
Gotcha. I thought they needed a robust connection to be enjoyed.

I suggest taking a look at amazon or whatever and see what kind of games you might be interested in.
The console that gets the longest list wins.
If the game is multi-platform, the graphics are in this order: Xbox One X > PS4 Pro > Switch

If you like strategy games, you might also like sports games like FIFA. There is a surprising amount of RTS involved with sports games.

Reactions: Liver
like this
I play PS4 on almost identical internet as you are describing.

Digital purchases take 2-3 days to download. Even buying the disc, the updates are usually closer to 10G than 1G and often take overnight.

Apart from that, which isn’t really going to be different on any console because it’s jusy a matter of fact of a slow ISP, once the games are installed they play great, even online play (as long as you aren’t trying to be E-Sport competitive)

I suggest taking a look at amazon or whatever and see what kind of games you might be interested in.
The console that gets the longest list wins.
If the game is multi-platform, the graphics are in this order: Xbox One X > PS4 Pro > Switch

Well, more like

XB1X -> PS4Pro -> PS4 -> XB1 -> Switch

Although the difference isn't all that wide in actual game play, unless you are just down to comparing screen shots.

Usually, the console that all your friends are playing wins, as it is extremely rare that titles do any sort of cross-platform multiplayer. Sony and Microsoft have comparable digital stores and community management, Nintendo lags waaaay behind in that regard. I've heard a lot of back and forth about PS4 vs Xbox controllers too - honestly that's a big part of the reason I gravitated toward Sony this generation.

I do agree with your post though.

PS4 Pro. Has the best exclusives this year. Horizon Zero Dawn. Uncharted series. Last of Us.

Sure the XB1X has a little more power being a new console but almost nothing to play on it that is fun.

Can’t decide if the Xbox drive is worth it. For movies.

As you can tell, I’m not a huge gamer.

The Xbox One X is the superior machine, but unfortunately it also has the weakest exclusives. If you mainly play multi-platform games (GTA, Final Fantasy, Battlefield, Madden, NBA 2K, Destiny, etc.) it will typically play those better than the PS4 and PS4 Pro. Yet the only MS exclusives of note are Halo, Gears, Forza, KI, and Cuphead.
Sony's exclusives are a mile long and they're typically fantastic games, too. Nintendo's too. The Pro model offers some of the additional horsepower that the Xbox One X has, too.
Gun to my head I'd probably choose the PS4 Pro.

Looks like the PS4 Pro is it.

Which machine will do VR better? With the kit and all? Better experience? Meaning game or whatnot titles too.

Last edited:
Looks like the PS4 Pro is it.

Which machine will do VR better? With he kit and all?

Pretty sure the PS4 is the only option for VR. At least other than the PC or on a phone. The Pro model handles it better than the normal/slim model. The basic VR setup is between $275-300 with some versions including more goodies. If you check out the entry on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-VR-4/dp/B01DE9DY8S) you'll see the "3 items bought together." That's essentially what you're going to want.
Not sure if the slightly upgraded VR headsets are available yet, but Sony made some small tweaks to the pass-thru and the headset recently. Whenever you buy one, you'll want to make sure the SKU is the latest one.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Gotcha. Thanks. Just looked that up and again, PS4 Pro is where it’s at.

What exactly is pass through? As in VR and with HDMI pass through? Xbox has hdmi pass through but PS4 does not.

Check the latest SKU? Look on the official Sony site? Is it listed there?

Rumors of a PS4 Pro upgrade tweak right before Christmas? Looks doubtful but I wouldn’t know.

Edit: Do both do Plex with MKV about the same? Source would be a Synology.

Not sure what the latest SKU would be, but you can probably just Google "Playstation VR 2017 revision" or something like that.
The HDMI-pass through for the Playstation VR is just how you hook the headset up. It's a little breakout box that sits between the PS4 and your TV. The problem with the version last year is that it's using an older HDMI handshake that doesn't support HDR or certain color schemes. I essentially keep my breakout box unplugged until I want to play a VR game. The newer one has a different box that supports the newer handshake standard.

Pretty sure both the Xbox and PS4 support Plex. Never tried, though. My PC is plugged up to my TV so I've never needed it.

A more powerful PS4 or brand new PS5 (with backwards comparability) rumors are still just that, rumors. Sony's not going to say anything right now even to try and hurt XB1X sales because it would kill PS4 sales. My guess would lean more towards PS5 in spring 2019.

I'm eyeing up one of these:
36971451864_e26c8dff29_b.jpg

There is a Skyrim VR bundle now, VR headset, hand controllers and game. The regular VR system just has headset.

That Battefront set, would that guarantee to have all the latest versions?

All the latest versions of what? Its definitely going to be the newest model of PS4 Pro but I don't think there is anything really different hardware wise. A PS4 Pro is a PS4 Pro, except maybe disk size. Same with the VR kits, I think all the headset models are the same. Only differences are what accessories and games come with it.

A more powerful PS4 or brand new PS5 (with backwards comparability) rumors are still just that, rumors. Sony's not going to say anything right now even to try and hurt XB1X sales because it would kill PS4 sales. My guess would lean more towards PS5 in spring 2019.

I'm eyeing up one of these:
36971451864_e26c8dff29_b.jpg

There is a Skyrim VR bundle now, VR headset, hand controllers and game. The regular VR system just has headset.
I doubt they will release a more powerful PS4. I say ps5 be out in November 2019 if anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's one more ps4 update. More of a refinement than upgrade though. Ala ps3 slim to ps3 super slim.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's one more ps4 update. More of a refinement than upgrade though. Ala ps3 slim to ps3 super slim.

Yeah, if there's another PS4 update, it will just be to slim down the Pro console and maybe to add a UHD BD player since that's pretty much its biggest criticism. I highly doubt they will make a more powerful PS4 Pro 2, hah.. that would just be dumb on Sony's part.

Sounds like OP is on the right track with the PS4 Pro though; I'm pretty happy with mine but not particularly because of the hardware, just the thoroughly amazing exclusives that the console has. Right now I'm still chugging through the Horizon DLC as I have time. I'm not sure I'm sold on the VR kit, as from what I've seen just on Youtube, it looks like the Pro really doesn't have the power to drive it properly in terms of IQ (performance seems good though) and the games for it seems pretty sparse as well. I think I'll wait for the PS5 before I delve into that.

Maybe for general/casual gaming at 4K, I would recommend the One X just for the better IQ at 4K, but if you really intend on playing some good games, then I would go PS4 Pro despite most games capping out at around 1440p (then being up-scaled to 4K). Honestly, IMO if you're really just playing the game and not pixel peeping the two side by side, I think most people would still be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two consoles on a graphical level.

Oh I am sure there will be another updated model of the PS4 but I am talking about huge update spec wise like PS4 to the pro was. No doubt there will be a PS4 pro slim next year. Slim versions are not worth upgrading to and are typical of a lower quality then the fat version. The only thing I can see then adding to a slim versions is a bigger HD and maybe UHD Blu-ray player.

The internet speed thing isn't really an issue unless you buy your game digitally... they can be enormous these days. Forza 7 for example is ~96bg, Halo 5 is like 55gb etc. If you buy the disc version, that'll save you the majority of downloading time, but it will likely have to download 1 or 2 gigs of patches and updates (maybe more depending on the game).

Just to expound on this, none of the 4K assets are on the disc, you'll need to download them all and they're required for Xbox One X hardware. On top of that, day one patches are approaching the size of the initial install. Forza 7 was originally a 45GB install from disc, followed by close to a 50GB patch. Then you'll need to download the 4K assets at 30GB or so.

yeah, day one patches are EXTREMELY big now. just like ^ said. 4k assets are a thing to keep in mind too.

I bought a PS4 Pro from BB not too long ago and it was the latest hardware revision. The BFII version of the Pro, at least to me, is a perfect example of lazy graphic design work.

I'd be wary of these things though, as some others have pointed out:
  • Massive downloads for the upgraded versions of games. I'm don't know what your internet specs are or if you have caps in place, but you might be waiting a while to game.
  • When you first plug in the console, you might be greeted with a flickering/staticy screen. This is an unfortunate symptom of the lack of universal HDR/4k standards. I had this problem and was convinced I had bought a lemon. Here's what you do, if you encounter the problem: Start the PS4 in Safe Mode - Hold the power button when the console is off for ~7 seconds or until you hear 2 beeps, then plug in the controller via USB and manually set your resolution. The problem is that the Pro tries to detect the color/hdr/resolution settings automatically - but sometimes it gets it wrong.
  • I've found better thermal performance by orienting the console vertically on a stand - laying flat, the Pro seems to spin up its fans harder and faster.
  • Upgrade the HDD right away. Internet and connection issues aside, the 1TB HDD does not go a long way. Either buy a USB drive or replace the one inside, which is user-replaceable.
Other than that, I have no regret purchasing the Pro. The exclusives out now, plus the ones coming next year, are amazing. Between Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War 4, Last Guardian, Ratchet and Clank, Kingdom Hearts, Uncharted, Detroit Become Human, Spiderman, etc, etc, you'll be more than set. I do miss the 4k Bluray player, but I might just pick up one from BB in a few days on Black Friday to scratch that itch.

Gotcha. I thought they needed a robust connection to be enjoyed.

Lag could be one thing, but now-a-days bad lag is probably like 100ms. When I used to play WoW on phone tethering it said I was using like 4-10KB/s. Extremely small bandwidth needed.

I bought a PS4 Pro from BB not too long ago and it was the latest hardware revision. The BFII version of the Pro, at least to me, is a perfect example of lazy graphic design work.

I'd be wary of these things though, as some others have pointed out:
  • Upgrade the HDD right away. Internet and connection issues aside, the 1TB HDD does not go a long way. Either buy a USB drive or replace the one inside, which is user-replaceable.

We have an Xbone, but similar issue. We have bought maybe 25 games, mostly on disc. But many of them do full installs anyways and just use the disc and a license validator. But with the monthly free games on xbox live, and Sony does the same thing from what I understand, we have 90 games in our library and have already crested 1TB of a 2TB external drive. It's pretty shocking.

Back