Another WASD keyboard positive review

r3awak3n

Gawd
I made a thread here about switching to a quieter keyboard. About a week ago I did not know about dampers and different switches have very different sounds. I was thinking about going back to membrane but really think I couldnt. I was recommended to try MX Brown switches with Dampers and was looking for blank keys so I was told to check out WASD keyboards.

The keyboard I am moving from is a DAS KEYBOARD ultimate, the original and imo the best one. It has Blue switches and is, hummm. loud but awesome.

QUALITY - 10/10

Its incredible, the materials feel great, the keys feel great. Love the braided chord. Much better then the DAS. The materials just feel better. It has some weight to it which I like and looks like it will last for a long time. The engraving on the keys is phenomenal!

APPEARANCE - 10/10

You cant go wrong with WASD here. You can fully customize your keyboard. I like my keyboards simple so I went for semi custom. With the wrist wrest (which most of these keyboards need because they stand too tall front he desk) it looks great. The color of the keys pop, the engraving is beautiful and its exactly what I want, simple but good looking. I went with the grey keys and they look awesome over black.

SWITCHES, SOUND, TYPING 10/10

Really like the MX browns. Still a good amount of feedback but almost no clack. I actuation is much faster and i feel like i don't bottom out the keys as much.

I got the 40A hardness dampers/Orings. they offer .4mm reduction and they do a great job. I thought about going to the .2mm but I just wanted something that would minimize the sound the most. My gf sits right behind the keyboard on the couch. I am sure I would prefer this without the dampers because I definitely can feel how much distance is lost due to them and I feel them absorb the hit. Not a big deal but I def preferred typing on the blue switches no dampers but this is still very nice and my gf wont kill me.

PRICE, SHIPPING, CUSTOMER SERVICE 9/10

Reason its not 10 is because its very expensive. Shipped from California to Brooklyn was $20. I also got the wrist rest and the O Rings bringing the total cost to $180. The good thing is that shipping was very very fast. Ordered it on Wednesday and got here today! Customer Service so far has been excellent, I sent a question in and they replied pretty fast. Also very cool that it says on the receipt who assembled the keyboard.

SUMMARY AND PICS

I have had this for a few hours and so far its incredible. Very happy to replace the das with this. Eventually when I move to a 2 bedroom place, I will take the dampers off :D I ended up going with engraved keys because for $180 I need some sort of eye candy but I def miss my blanks (might get a set of blank keys). Looks awesome. Recommended.

A lot of peope are waiting for V02 of WASD but I do not want backlight and do not want a ten key less. This is pretty much perfect for me right now.

Oh the LED lights for Caps Lock, etc are really bright like everyone says. That might get annoying if you have the keyboard in your bedroom. I don't so it doesn't bother me.

And now some pictures. Enjoy

dsc0067hy.jpg

dsc0064ym.jpg

dsc0066lq.jpg

dsc0065ew.jpg

kewl looks great man...

I (as we have discussed before) loving my xmas gift WASD keyboard also...I like your keycaps also...

how you liking the engraved keycaps? I seriously considered those myself but decided on the laser etched..which i like very much.. I kinda considered going blank..but i forget some of the keys and have to look sometimes... i'd have to have printed out a cheat sheet ..lol..

anyways congrats looking good...

and i know you've seen it...but for anyone else looking at the WASD keyboards this is mine
img20121226124616.jpg

MX-Browns w/ 40A-L (.2mm) dampers very excellent to type on... good reduction in bottoming out noise w/ these dampers

expensive as mentioned before but super nice product and good service.... Even BETTER... product if you get someone else to buy it for you as a gift :D

been a really eye opener coming from nothing but membrane keyboards, these things are the real deal so much nicer to use a mechanical keyboard than a membrane keyboard.

/\ Really would love know how the .2mm differ from the .4mm but maybe its good that I dunno because I am sure I would prefer the .2mm. I read that they sound almost the same as long as you touch type but the .2mm are at tad louder if you bottom out.

Really love the engraved. The cool thing about engraved is that from far and certain angles they look blank. I am still considering going blank just because it forces me to learn where certain weird keys and makes me type faster. I never look at the keyboard apart from when I start typing but I want to stop even doing that.

I know you were afraid to use the wrist rest because it might scratch the keyboard. I put mine on and doesn't seem like it would do any damage but I could be wrong. I love the writ wrest, makes the keyboard look better (no more round edge)

The laser keys are gorgeous too though. This keyboard really is phenomenal and the best of the best.
You pay a price but you get quality.

Oh also love the orange on your WASD and esc keys and my WASD keys.
I am also glad I went dark grey on the keys, its awesome.

Do I see a G400 on your setup?

I'm also curious about your experience with .2mm vs .4mm. I have .4mm orings on some cherry red switches, and it kind of makes typing harder and ruins the feel of the switches.

hey ...so my mouse is actually a G500 but close

kewl thanx for the information on the wrist rest...I got my grafiti wrist guard I ordered from amazon $8 ~ish I am liking it..but maybe i will give the WASD one a go also.

so i don't currently know how the .2 compare to the .4 because I have only used the 40A-L .2mm ones...but I have also got a Rosewill RK-9000RE i got for $24.99 on the insane combo deal... still haven't found a use for that damn Celeron D...LOL...

anyways I am going to order some .4mm dampers for that one ... so hopefully I can in future give some opinion on that ...I will start new threat about it when i actually get off my butt and order the dampers for that one.

I can't stand the sound without dampers on the RK-9000RF .... on the other hand my WASD is very quiet with the .2mm dampers installed.

unless you need maximum noise reduction as the op did apparently i personally think the .2mm ones are a very good choice these .2 ones don't seem to affect the feel of the keys very much if at all.

That would be awesome atarione. I am interested too.
There is no doubt that it affects the switches, I can feel the damper in there but I am getting used to it and its not bothering me that much.

My gf also if very happy with this keyboard. Still says its annoying (cuz you can still hear it) but its the same as my old membrane keyboard so its great.

Back