another video card help thread

audirs

Limp Gawd
hey all, im sure everyone is tired of these by now, but i need some help. i am not familiar with 2048x1152 resolution monitors, and video cards to go with them

can someone give me some ideas, i am looking to purchase 2 video cards that can handle 2048x1152. i dont know how much video ram this res requries, so im hoping someone could shed some light. dx11 is a requirement and they need to be nvidia cards aswell. also a bonus would be single slot, but this would not be a deal breaker.

thanks!

1920 x 1080 = 2.073 MP 100%
1920 x 1200 = 2.304 MP 111%
2048 x 1152 = 2.359 MP 114%

The GTX 560 Ti is borderline good for 1920 x 1200, so that would be a good cost-effective choice. Above that the 570 is not a very good value but would easily do the job. The 6950 2GB would be best in terms of price/performance, and it would be just right, not too little, not too much, for your resolution.

If you want to max out quality settings then getting a single slot card will get in the way of that. If you're adamant about, the 5770 can occasionally be found in single slot, and Galaxy makes the 460 Razor, which is slower than the 560 Ti and all the other choices and costs $250. So single slot has a price premium to consider.

You don't need two cards for that monitor, one fast card will do it, and I'd suggest that since it's easier to avoid the hassle of multiple cards. The first cards I suggested will basically max out that resolution, while the 5770 and 460 will be able to use Medium-High settings.

Hope this helped.

Minimum to push that res in 2d would be 18.9MB, but obviously you're not going to find a DX11 card with that little on it. I've been very happy running my MSI GTX 460 1GB Twin Frozr II which supports DX11, and you can find them fairly cheap these days. Dual slot, but quiet and cool, and enough power to run WoW, Crysis 2, Brink, Duke Nukem Forever and a few others at max detail and only very seldom do I drop below 30fps.

thanks for the quick replies. i do understand that i can get away with 1 card at this res, but i muuusttt have 2. i spent a long time sleeving cables, and i have 4 PCI-E power cables sleeved. i refuse to use 1 card going forward because of the amount of pain to my dick the sleeving caused :D. this is also why it needs to be nvidia as its all green/black theme/sleeving lol

so would my best bet be 2x 560s? the weekend comp will see light gaming, but when i do id like to have everything cranked to the max.

games i only really play are/will be F1 series, DIRT series, and the BF series

edit: should i consider the 2GB 560's over the 1GB?

Last edited:
I don't mean to rub it in, I just want to emphasize the fact that an unlocked and OCed 6950 2GB makes so much sense for your situation that you'll be making significant concessions in certain areas like power consumption and heat, and noise, because of two GPUs.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_6670/25.html

SLI will usually scale around ~60% at that resolution, and an overclocked and unlocked 6950 which reaches 6970 speed will be over twice as fast as one stock 550 Ti 1GB. And the 6950 has power consumption of 120 watts compared to 200 watts with 550 SLI. I'm just saying that a 6950 2GB is bar none the best option, and unfortunately the 550 you linked will only give two power connectors in SLI. :p

But if you want SLI, at your resolution I think 460 SLI would be pretty sweet, 1GB of course, or maybe 2GB if it's not ridonculously overpriced (if you can get the whole thing for < $350).

EDIT: Cool, glad to have helped. :cool:

Last edited:
I don't mean to rub it in, I just want to emphasize the fact that an unlocked and OCed 6950 2GB makes so much sense for your situation that you'll be making significant concessions in certain areas like power consumption and heat, and noise, because of two GPUs.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_6670/25.html

SLI will usually scale around ~60% at that resolution, and an overclocked and unlocked 6950 which reaches 6970 speed will be over twice as fast as one stock 550 Ti 1GB. And the 6950 has power consumption of 120 watts compared to 200 watts with 550 SLI. I'm just saying that a 6950 2GB is bar none the best option, and unfortunately the 550 you linked will only give two power connectors in SLI. :p

But if you want SLI, at your resolution I think 460 SLI would be pretty sweet, 1GB of course, or maybe 2GB if it's not ridonculously overpriced (if you can get the whole thing for < $350).

thanks man, i do agree the 6950s are awesome. i have 2 of them running in my main rig unlocked. i always recommend that card to anyone aswell, such a good deal. as such, would be nice to have a different flavor in this rig

i think i will go with the 460. thanks again for the quick help. my 8800gtxs have seen their last day. both have memory issues which cause artifacts at desktop :mad:

i will find a good deal on a EVGA 460 2gb i think, after search around it seems 2 of those OC'd in SLI well chew up anything @ 1920x1200, so performance shouldnt be much different at my res

thx again!

Back