another university laptop thread!

flemmyd

n00b
ok, i have a lot on my mind when it comes to thinking about this new laptop, and i may forget a few things but i ll add those later or something.

first off, i will be commuting to school (UCI). if i buy a laptop (more info later), it will become my primary computer. i am currently a biomedical engineering major, although i want to change to Chem E. i also might take a few EE classes cause EE is so cool. i know that will need to use Matlab; i am unsure if i ll need any type of CAD software, although that seems to mostly be the realm of CE and MEs.

i do NOT want a huge ass 17 inch notebook or anything. im not picky about screen size, but ive been looking at something in the 14-15 inch range. right now, im on an older desktop (3700+ OCed) with a 22 (or 24...?) inch wide screen. i like this monitor/mouse & keyboard i have now, so i plan on simply plugging it in and using this widescreen and keyboard. as a result, it MUST have a video out (more later). i have a 5.1 logitech sound system around this comp, although only the 2.1 part is plugged in. id like to keep it (the laptop speakers will probably be too weak) although i duno how that will work.

in terms of what i plan on doing, its mostly work/internet/movies. the most intense thing i plan on doing is watching HD movies (planet earth in 1080p... yum). i also have a 57ish in rear screen DLP in my living room that i want to be able to hook up my laptop to (if i want to watch movies with friends on the couch). the DLP only has a vga & HDMI input; im not sure how sound will work in terms of input/output. even though im watching some HD movies, i duno if there is a real difference between the VGA and HDMI in terms of picture quality, but im not anal about the best picture. so long as it doesnt look like sh*t, i ll be fine. the same question applies to me hooking up my laptop the my 22 in widescreen (it only has dvi and vga). my eyes arent super sensitive, so the "best" imagine isnt a huge thing.

in terms of gaming, i have a wii and plan on picking up a 360, so i dont plan on gaming on this laptop. i may run a few emulators (n64/psx/dreamcast are probably the most intensive ones). id love to get a ps2 emulator to run, but considering everything else i plan on doing, i ll find it hard to justify a real graphics card just to run a ps2 emulator.

i hardly ever use dvd roms or anything, so if the machine didnt have one on the system itself (and had to use a USB drive or something), i would more then ok (maybe even happier cause it'll cut down on weight).

assuming it meets my needs, the other factors are weight, price, and battery life (wow what a surprise...). i could give a rat *** about "looks" or any other crazy paint jobs (ala dell XPS line, i prefer functionality). i dont have a hard cap in terms of price, but im looking to keep it under $12/1300 (US), although i could go above it if the performance/features justified it.

i keep hearing about how nice the tablet PCs are, and i do want to try them out. if im doing math/science classes, i dont want to be typing up notes with all those equations in word. im open to consideration (x61 line?)

in terms of laptops ive been considering, i cant say much as the IBMs seem to be the best fit, although i haven't gotten a chance to handle any in person.

what ive seen is the
IBM: x61, r61, t61 --- i need to do more research, and am looking for outside opinions.
Dell: vostros- unsure which model specifically, although they seem to be very functional and will get the job done.
Sony: these machines seem so horribly over priced, but whenever i stop my bestbuy, i love the feel of some of their machines.
Apple: considering the price i want to stay in, it doesnt seem realistic for me to buy apple, but they are nice, and if i had the $$, i might consider it (very unlikely however).

two other notes:
1) id love to run a hackintosh on this machine. i got it to run on my current machine, but the comp was a 3700+ single core with only a gig of ram-->too slow. its not a huge priority, and so much verys from comp the comp, person to person, i cant really make it a demand.
2) if it turns out i need to run CAD or something, i would probably just rebuild my desktop (costing in the area of $700). a laptop is not a must, and if i do rebuild my desktop, i might not get a laptop entirely (or simply pick up an EEE PC or used/cheap tablet to simply take notes.)

if i can think of anything else, i ll post/edit.

Notes: id love to have drivers available to me if something ever happened. i dont want to have to find the restore disk. not a must though

thanks for helping.

does anyone have any input on this issue? even if you can only help for one part (im pretty sure chem e. majors wont need CAD work for example), it would be appreciated.

especially the vga vs. dvi for outputs; although i may have to repost that question in the monitor forums.

as for what ive been looking at more closely, its mostly the x61 tablet or the r61
can anyone give any input on these models?

I've got an X61 Tablet. I like it, and it's great for "work/internet," but for "movies" it falls rather short. For me this is no problem--I reserve my movie-watching for a set-top DVD player and a television set. Some have complained about the VGA-only video output on the Thinkpad line; though the reasoning behind this policy is sound (business consumers need to plug their laptops into projectors), that's of little consolation to an average user. I don't have problems with this because--again--I really don't use my computer for multimedia.

The tablet features are fun but I haven't really had a chance to test out their usefulness in work situations. I hear that a tablet and Onenote are, like, life-changing, and this is from real humans, not advertising campaigns. It's almost suspicious how much praise the Onenote + tablet combination garners. I suppose I'll have a chance to test it come August.

My Thinkpads (and my sister's Lenovo) have always done good by me, and their reputation is such that I'll stick with the brand even if they don't offer the best bang for the buck. They're solidly-built, they've got great customer support, and the Thinkpad keyboard/trackpoint combo, once you've got used to the trackpoint, is unbeatable, as minor a point as it may seem.

Thinkpad is your best bet in my opinion. Sure, they arent flashy, but theyre damn nice pieces of hardware and it will last you 4 years with no problems. Plus, for travel, I would say it would be best because of their top notch construction and build quality.

Dell would probably be your best bet when you balance price/performance. Dell slaps up some crazy deals all the time, and if you watch slickdeals you can probably grab a coupon to make a very nice laptop for cheap.

As a ChemE undergraduate, I rarely have the need for a laptop. The only software I ever have to deal with are Microsoft Office apps (the main three: Excel, Word, and Powerpoint), Matlab, Comsol Multiphysics, and Aspen. Aspen and Comsol are very expensive, so I generally end up spending any computing time at the Department computer lab. The only time I can think of needing a laptop is when I'm collecting data during Unit Operations laboratory, but it is only for convenience as it saves time from transferring data on paper to an Excel sheet. So in other words, you don't need anything "powerful".

Personally, if I was looking for a laptop as a primary computer, I would go with a MBP or a tablet PC such as the one IBM is offering (or even HP).

Good luck with your ChemE studies. Prepare to get no sleep, be stressed out 24/7, and making your department's building your new home :)

Here is a video of fellow ChemE's going crazy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek7jwjqTtrA
(Not from my university)

As a EE undergraduate, I have found the tablet PC a great help in school. I use my X61 Tablet for all my note taking and it runs MatLAB and other EE programs without any problems. The nice features of the X61T are about 4 hours of battery life with the 8 cell, good hardware, and is easy to carry around. Buying the X61 tablet (any tablet will do) has been a huge help in my schooling and has reduced my backpack load by at least half. The tablet PC has a lot of potential for students if you take the time to learn how to use it. Onenote is a must have for note taking, but you will also like Inkseine for taking short notes or just inking. A tablet PC is the way I would recommend you going.

I recently started looking at tablets for mostly the same reasons as you described, and my search brought me to Gateway's latest offering, the C-142XL. In terms of performance, there really isn't anything else that quite competes in the tablet/convertible notebook realm. Specs at a glance (as of 6/1/08):

14.1" WXGA Screen (1280x768)
Intel T8300 (2.4 GHz)
ATi Radeon Mobility X2300 HD
3 GB DDR2 667 RAM
250 GB HDD
~Some other standard devices and bells and whistles~
Price: $1299 (as low as $1099 after instant rebates)

Judging from the specs, MATLAB and similar programs should have no problem running at full speed. CAD should also be possible, but I can't say to what extent, as I haven't tried it myself. It has the VGA out that you mentioned, and should be able to play HD content fine. I've heard battery life extends somewhere in the range of 5 hrs. The only main downside from your criteria is the weight (~6.2 lbs) but I'm not sure how greatly that's playing into your choice. I have been unable to find other tablets with discrete graphics, a 14" screen, and that grade of processor. Let alone for such a reasonable price.

I plan on picking one up before the end of the summer for my CpE courses. Good luck with your final decision.

thanks for all the input guys! i tihnk i ll be getting a tablet, although i want to be able to place around with a few in my hands. the only place nearby that might be able to is microcenter... or maybe best buy (i dont remember those having tablets last time i was there)

anyway, most of my classes my frosh year are standard science classes (calc based physics, o chem, and some level of calculus...), not the specific engineering classes yet.
the 6 hour labs in o-chem scare me though...

I run matlab on an AMD turion dual core so it doesn't really need huge specs. Thought I'd chime in on the speakers though, you should have got an adapter with your logitech speakers? Well mine did.. it takes the 3 speakers into a red and white RCA cable. Pick yourself up a I think 3.5mm to 2 RCA cable and you'll be sweet for all 6 speakers. How rugged is a tablet? I'd be worried I'd break the screen lol. Good luck with your studies

As an engineering student, I can say that you should not be worried about being 'underpowered' if you properly configure, say, a current t61 from lenovo.

Some finite-element stuff and mech-e oriented matlab coding can be VERY CPU intensive, but honestly if you get a C2D 9300 you'll be faster than the comp labs unless you have a HPC center with quads or something.

Having a laptop is great for finding your own study space, in your own time.

I would recommend getting a lenovo and then getting a dock for your house. 180 bucks gets you a dock with lan, VGA, DVI-D, audio. For a bit more you can get one that has a low-profile pci-e slot too for whatever.

As for a tablet, I've never seen someone use a tablet to take notes in class, I remain skeptical of their utility in engineering. Lots of detailed charts, graphs, drawings, etc etc you'll need in your notes -- I don't know what the most complex diagrams are in EE, (I can only think of block circuit diagrams, IV curves and eye diagrams!) but in Chem-E you might have to draw some VERY complex multi-element phase diagrams or complicated structural-chemical diagrams/formulas.

Trust me you don't want to be falling behind copying notes just because you want to digitize your notes and look cool. Paper works and its easy to copy from the board quickly so you can listen to the professor and not be fiddling with your tablet all class.

Plus- I frequently have need to have say 5 or more of my notes pages spread on a table at once to make sense of problem sets or study for a test. The most damning evidence to me that makes me glad I didnt' get a tablet is any time I download PDF notes from the class website I have to print them to make sense/study from them.

I admit I have never tried using a tablet - but again I've never seen anyone use one in the dozens of classes I've taken with hundreds and hundreds of students (OK thats not true - I saw one kid in freshman physics and I've seen a few using tablets - but not writing on the screens!!). If you really want to digitize all your notes- buy an auto-feed scanner.

If you're really stuck on a tablet (and by the post above they seem to work for some), at least buy it in August somewhere where you can try it for a few weeks in class and return it if its not working out.

Hi,

The X61 is nice and light but will be underpowered and a 12" LCD 4:3 will be a bit useless for watching movies. Consider a 12" widescreen in this form factor although power will be an issue and if you go for the ASUS 2KG 13" bricks, you might as well go for a high res 15". Not sure what can do native 1080 in 15" systems these days.

Pay careful attention to the current trend of notebook manufacturers who use pathetic 6-bit TN panels with a viewable angle of two degrees. The glossy screens also become pretty useless in outside areas.

My pick given your distaste for 17" systems would be a 15" MacBook Pro.

I am a CSE student and i highly recommend the Dell XPS m1530.

Its light, comes with LED backlit screen and has a great keyboard.

My m1530 specs,

Intel T9300 2.5ghz C2D
1440 900 LED backlit Screen
Samsung 250gb 7200rpm HD
2x 2GB ram
Intel 4965 a/b/g/n wi-fi adapter
256mb Geforce 8600 mobile graphics
Vista Home premium
6 cell Battery (2.5hr battery life on moderate settings)
4 yr Warrenty w/ accidental care

Total: $1580 through Dell EPP

So yes, i believe its a good price point for a 15.4" notebook. It does its job when i want to take notes in gen ed classes like Bio and chemistry.

I have used tablets to do note taking but seriously, its a hassle to look at them for review purposes. You cant beat taking notes on a regular notebook for classes like Linear Algebra.

Proneax said:
As an engineering student, I can say that you should not be worried about being 'underpowered' if you properly configure, say, a current t61 from lenovo.

Some finite-element stuff and mech-e oriented matlab coding can be VERY CPU intensive, but honestly if you get a C2D 9300 you'll be faster than the comp labs unless you have a HPC center with quads or something.

Couldn't agree more.

I recommend looking at both T61 and Dell m1530. Both have very different looks and warranty support is different as well. I would tell you to look at MBP but its just too expensive. You get better performence per $ out of lenovo or dell.

PS: I did install OSX on my dell. Only thing that doesnt work is sound and internet.

Back