Another Stab at Linux

Hito Bahadur

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2006
Okay guys. Anyone that has been around for a bit knows that I have tried Linux before and failed miserably (sp?). Anyways, I am trying again. I have Fedora loaded (Please don't tell me to use another version, I have tried many others) with the graphical mode, but can't figure out how to run the linux console version I downloaded. I am in graphical mode at the moment (Gnome?). I wouldn't mind going text based but also don't know how to do that. Any help in getting FAH running on this d4mn system would be appreciated.

So you've downloaded the client, yes? You have to chmod +x it to make it executable, then run it with ./FAH502-Linux.exe or whatever the filename is. Also, Linux is case sensitive!!!

Oldbenwa

I'm not that familiar with Linux GUIs, but I'll try to help. I think you need to make the linux console executable (probably right click on the file and go to Properties and there should be something about Permissions). Alternatively, you could bust out a Terminal window and do it the old fashioned way. The command "chmod 700 FAH-502_Linux.exe" (or whatever the client is called, i forget) will make it executable for your user. If that's not your problem try and nail it down and I'll try to figure something else out.

Thanks guys. I figured out the terminal and how to change and run it. So it is running within the terminal off the Gnome client. Now if I can figure out how to boot without the Graphical client I will be golden. Success, finally. A 400 Mhz Pentium II folding box is born. ;)

Well your one up on me for this whoel Linux mess.... :confused:

Aw com'on linux isn't that hard, all you got to do is forget the microsoft thing ( like everything you learned ;) ) and relax, it will work with a little trial and error.

the most important thing is to remember that you have to have permission to do anything, so you have to set your permissions when you want to run a program, and you have to enter what you want exactly, This is not the same as this :D

Hito Bahadur said:
Now if I can figure out how to boot without the Graphical client I will be golden.
Edit /etc/inittab (do "nano FILENAME" in a console, or try out Kate for the GUI environment). There'll be something like this in it:
Code:
id:5:initdefault:
Change the 5 to a 3, and it'll stop bringing up the graphical display on boot; instead you'll get a text-based "login" prompt.

Have you got an /etc/init.d script, or are you running it manually so far?

OT: My first reaction to the thread title was "What'd linux ever do to you?". Stabby stabby! :D

unhappy_mage said:
OT: My first reaction to the thread title was "What'd linux ever do to you?". Stabby stabby! :D ]

Well, I haven't pulled out the knife yet, but Unhappy Mage, your post above is Greek to me. I will try to figure it out when I am at home with the machine. I actually like the Gnome environment, but I only have 196 MB of memory on that poor computer.

The first frustrating part was....okay, how do I run an application? Answer ./

oh, that makes sence :confused:

Anyways, thanks for the help guys. I'll let you know if I figure it (text based login) out from Mages info.

Getting rid of 12+ years of windows and dos learning is difficult.

In the Gnome environment, you should have something like a start menu, right? It looks like a foot. So click on that, and find an editor. "Kate" is a good one from KDE. I haven't used Gnome in a while; maybe Crashsector can help you on that.

Linux has a directory structure a lot like windows, with ".." meaning up. So you can go up until you hit the top, and then down into /etc. In the console you'd do this with "cd .." or "cd /etc". Then find the "inittab" file and open that. /etc/inittab is like "C:\etc\inittab" in dos terms. Change the line as mentioned, and voila it'll start with no graphical stuff.

HTH ;)

KodiakStar said:
[ QUOTE=Hito Bahadur]

Getting rid of 12+ years of windows and dos learning is difficult.

[ QUOTE]

QFT
Using [ quote] tags right isn't :p

I don't know about Fedora, but many distributions load Midnight Commader by default. MC is a good program to have to browse your partitions and view/edit/copy, etc...files if you are not running the GUI. Hell, sometimes I use it from the console even when running the Desktop becuase it is a handy set of tools.

Type "mc" at the command line and see if it comes up. If not, install it. Sooner or later it will come in handy.

Hito: How is Fedora/GNOME running on that box for you? I've been running KDE on my 500mhz/256ram server and it's horribly, horribly slow. Maybe that's just KDE?

HekoAridese said:
Hito: How is Fedora/GNOME running on that box for you? I've been running KDE on my 500mhz/256ram server and it's horribly, horribly slow. Maybe that's just KDE?

I wouldn't expect KDE to be real speedy on that setup. I had one of the more recent KDE versions on a PII450 and it was a bit to slow for me, I ended up using Black Box for a while until I gave up the GUI completely on that machine. BlackBox and IceWM work fine on slower machines, but they are not a full-blown desktop environment like KDE/Gnome.

HekoAridese said:

It's pretty darn slow but not horrible. I've had FAH running with an increased priority pretty much since I had it up so it is hard to tell. I will turn it off and let you know.

Well the good news is that I got it to boot in Text only mode. Thanks Unhappy_Mage. Bad news is that it doesn't run any faster, but I should be able to use big packets. Any idea if a 24/7 folding box (Pentium II 400mhz) will make deadlines?

It'll be close. With that machine I'd go for timeless. It doesn't have SSE, right? If you're not sure, do this:
Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo
and look for "sse" in the flags section.

Back