Another site critique

xENo

[H]ard|Gawd
Just finished this one up.... 2 months on this crap.

Let me know, guys... I appreciate the input and feedback!

Linky

Looks damn good to me. Nice colors, very calm. The drop down menus don't have a space that makes the menus close when you try to scroll down them, which makes me happy. I poked around for a bit, and nothing bothered me.
Nice Job.

It is slick, very slick. The code on it is clearly very nice.

However graphically it's kinda boring, although to some people like us that look at it, we'll immediately notice how good it's written and be thankful that it's not a pain to go through. However the problem is to the average user, they probably won't remember a page that isn't very flashy.

It almost looks like a corporate webpage and not a webpage about music. Sure I'm arguing aesthetics to you, and maybe that's what was requested, but it seems bland.

(I hope I didn't piss you off, I'm honestly not trying to be critical, but give you useful feedback)

Thought about accessibility? Since your navigation is composed entirely of background images (no text, no alt-text, no title-text) -- I don't see your navigation at all, because due to color-blindness I surf text/background colors disabled (which also disables background images). It not just me: people with text-only-browsers (like some PDAs), or folks using screen readers, or regular browsers with images shut off...

UnknownSouljer said:
It almost looks like a corporate webpage and not a webpage about music.

Thanks... it is a corporate site. The company licenses the rights for a lot of songs to movies, tv shows, etc. I appreciate all input, btw. (I'm also going to show this thread to the site's designer)

Thought about accessibility? Since your navigation is composed entirely of background images (no text, no alt-text, no title-text) -- I don't see your navigation at all, because due to color-blindness I surf text/background colors disabled (which also disables background images). It not just me: people with text-only-browsers (like some PDAs), or folks using screen readers, or regular browsers with images shut off...

I'll add that. I do have regular text in there, which is hidden by stylesheets. With CSS off, the navigation shows up as a series of nested lists. I did add access keys, labels, and tab indexing to all of the forms though. Thanks for the input. I'll have this done in a few minutes.

There we go. Did I do that right?

I also added titles to all of the subnav links.

there's a problem with the drop down menus in safari:

safari.png

Since Opera uses the projection media for Full Screen Mode, everything's unstyled in Opera when you are in Full Screen.

media="screen,projection" will fix that.

Also, In IE and Opera there are bigger gaps between the paragraphs compared to Firefox. That's not a big deal, but maybe explicity setting a line-height, and padding for the content div and line-height, padding and margin for its paragraphs may help.

Besides those, everything seems ok.

it's a very well done site, nice and clean. however, it just doesn't strike me as a music site at all.

make the memory lane logo in the top left link to the homepage as well as the "home" button.

I really like the way this site looks. It is very clean and professional, but as a previous posted has mentioned, it doesnt look like a music or music label website.

Back