Another (September) price drop by Intel

sdsdv10

Weaksauce
Intel is really putting the heat on Amd. Its nice seeing high quality proc's going for dirt cheap as a consumer.

I do like seeing the prices of Intel chips go down, helps make high technology more common, more "of the people".

Save the world from shit computers. :D

Intel is really putting the heat on Amd. Its nice seeing high quality proc's going for dirt cheap as a consumer.

I think the processors simply ARE dirt-cheap.
The Core2 has less transistors than a Pentium D, and can clock way lower, use less power, generate less heat etc...
At the same time it's still using the same manufacturing process as Pentium D, which is very mature by now.
So I'd say Core2 is very cheap to make, yields very high.
Intel could already sell Pentium D at competing prices with Athlons, while still running a healthy profit. So Core2 must really come easy now.
I suppose R&D costs weren't all that high either, because they were spread over various generations (Pentium M, Core, Core2) in an evolutionary path.

maybe we all can afford a monster proc,if priecs drop 30 to 50 percent i'm getting something i couldn't afford

I want to build a really nice, semi-monster 8 core machine. :D Although I dont need it, I just never do anything nice for myself.

I've already bought a P35 mb and 4gb of ram in preparation for July 22nd. Not sure how long the low ram prices will last so bought now instead of waiting.

This kind of scares me. If these processors are going down even more...what is to stop anyone and everyone from going c2d?

Bad news.

Once AMD is out of business, we will see INTEL really reap the benifits when they raise prices to how they were years ago.

Once AMD is out of business, we will see INTEL really reap the benifits when they raise prices to how they were years ago.

it could be a possibility. once AMD is out of the market (which i hope doesnt happen), Intel could basically offset the lack of profits they are seeing now, with HUGE profits of overpriced hardware in a year or two.

COULD it happen....yes. but is it likely......no

it could be a possibility. once AMD is out of the market (which i hope doesnt happen), Intel could basically offset the lack of profits they are seeing now, with HUGE profits of overpriced hardware in a year or two.

COULD it happen....yes. but is it likely......no

Not gonna happen.

Investors only care about what you are doing NOW. They do not tolerate looking forward financially. It would be investor suicide to sell at a loss now and then reap huge profits in a year (or quarter) or two. Intel will be plenty profitable now and tomorrow.

$999 for pentium 2 400? and like $1200 for p2 450?!

How are those prices different from the current Extreme Editions?
Not to mention that AMD charged the same kind of prices for their FX-series, when they could.
Let's face it, the one with the fastest processors will always charge high prices... Competition or not.

I'm just glad AMD never had the gall to sell $1000+ desktop processors. /sarcasm

The truth is that when either company had a clear performance lead, they priced the processors at what the market would bear. This price war is an anomaly.

I actually do remember back when Intel pretty much had the processor market for itself and the pricing structure was similar to non-Celeron* Intel CPU pricing, pre-price war. The range varied, but chips were cut in price to some point (~$120 in the late 1980s) and then discontinued. The higher models filled in the price points vacated by the discontinued models as new chips were introduced.

* the Celeron low end segment was created in the late 90s. Step back almost a decade before that. I feel so old sometimes. ;)

Back