Another random question...

crazjayz

2[H]4U
A few weeks ago I asked if anyone had experience folding with any of Nvidia's Tesla line of cards and blade/server systems. Most people said no, but also said that performance is equivalent to a GTX280 and such. I asked this mostly because I was curious, but also to see if there were any better price/performance solutions out there. Seeing how Tesla isn't any better than 4x GTX280s, here's another one for all of you.

I know that the PS3 can fold using Stanford's PS3 client. Secondly, I also know that the PS3 can run linux natively using the cell processor. Now, has anyone experimented with their PS3 to run a F@H client on linux using a PS3? Granted you don't have any access to the RSX graphics processor, but I was just wondering what the Cell would do on it's own. Does anyone know of the PS3 F@H client uses both the RSX processor and the Cell, or one or the other?

... yeah, I should probably refrain from posting at 4am. :eek:

... and I know, curiosity killed the cat. :D

hey did you know posting at 4 am is bad..

and did you know curiosity killed the cat..

lol had to do it..

dont know if it would work or not.. guess you could always try and find out :p though i really dont see a reason for installing linux on a ps3.. but thats just me..

There's no Linux client for Cell, or anything else in the PPC family. PS3 Linux can run SETI, SIMAP, and yoyo@home that we're aware of.

About the PS3, running a linux client on it would be very very inefficient as said by Vijay himself. The PS3 client is written with efficiency in mind.

About the PS3, running a linux client on it would be very very inefficient as said by Vijay himself. The PS3 client is written with efficiency in mind.

Does the Cell suddenly become not a Cell under Linux? :p

Translation: Programming these things is hard. I'm sure glad Sony did all the heavy lifting.

It has to do by adding more layers to get linux to run on Cell. The PS3 client is coded directly so you don't have layers to mess and slow you down.

There's no Linux client for Cell, or anything else in the PPC family. PS3 Linux can run SETI, SIMAP, and yoyo@home that we're aware of.
DNET OGR and RC5 smoke on a PS3, under YDL
There are some Boinc projects that will use PPC as well

DNET OGR and RC5 smoke on a PS3, under YDL
There are some Boinc projects that will use PPC as well

SETI, SIMAP, yoyo@Home and PS3GRID are the PS3 BOINC supported projects that we are aware of thus far. It's all in nomad8u's official [H]ard DC Commando spreadsheet.

And YDL is not the only game in town. Fedora, Ubuntu, SuSE and PS3GRID's own custom BOINC optomized distro all run on the PS3.

Back