Another PSU Sleeving thread

RoyLuv

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 20, 2004
Messages
361
Never really found a straight answer for this other than "be careful"

Here's my question. I want to know how dangerous is it to take the cover off of a psu? What should I NOT touch? I know the capacitors are a no-no, but anything else I should stay away from? I just want to sleeve my wires up into the case of the psu so it doesn't look tacky. I see help guides on sleaving PSUs but they don't really say the best way to actually take the unit apart.

I know you want to keep it unplugged for a while, but I don't know how long. Is there a way to drain the capacitorys without shocking the SH** :eek: out of myself or burning my house down?

Anyway, that's it, thanks :)
 
unplug your pc from the wall then hit the power button, you should see your pc turn on for a quick second then off again. now your ready to hack at your power supply
 
ghetto+ said:
unplug your pc from the wall then hit the power button, you should see your pc turn on for a quick second then off again. now your ready to hack at your power supply
I'd still be wary of the caps and the heatsinks, they're electrically 'hot' as it were.

What exactly are you doing that requires tooling at the insides of the PSU?
 
its not dangerous taking it off. its dangerous playing around indie i mean inside doing that unplug from wall and hit power button doesnt work. there is still currents flowing. where rubber gloves and use a rubber handled screw driver to take off the top. when the top is off becareful not to let anything touch the inside of the base. most stuff will shock you.....
 
What exactly are you doing that requires tooling at the insides of the PSU?

I want to put the sleeving a little bit inside the psu just so it doesn't look tacky. But the more I look at how-to guides and hear peoples responses, I'm thinking that I might just leave it intact. I'm the dude you would see on the front page that got electrocuted my something that isn't even plugged into power :(

Seems like it's not worth the risk to try to make it look perfect in there. I'll just have to do a good shrink wrap job on the PS end of the sleeving.
 
ghetto+ said:
unplug your pc from the wall then hit the power button, you should see your pc turn on for a quick second then off again. now your ready to hack at your power supply
A. Does not work with all PSUs.
B. Does not discharge all capacitors.

Don't do this and assume everything is safe.

-special [k]
 
I took mine apart last week to do my sleeving. Didnt get shocked, ;) but i was a huge pain in the ass to get the wires back in their little hole once the sleeving was on and they were allowed to move around as much. Had to lose my little rubber gromet so that they would fit.

-atom
 
Back
Top