Another Phantom Console Surfaces On The Internet

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not sure why the unearthing of another Phantom console is making news today, we gave you an in-depth look into one almost 11 years ago. I guess you could say we cracked one open twice if you count this.

Some quick Internet sleuthing doesn't turn up any information or photos of any similar Phantom prototypes after the fall of Infinium; these design mockups of the console's shell that popped up in 2010 might be the closest thing. We reached out to a couple of avid game collectors who are constantly looking for rarities like this, and neither of them had ever seen a Phantom prototype out in the wild. The collector that brought this machine in to Schlesinger may have a one-of-a-kind item on his hands.

hahha you are a hardocp og if you remember this and asia carerra pc contests

In other words garbage vaporware from the company that tried to sue Kyle for pointing out that it was just a PC in a box with shit specs.

In other words garbage vaporware from the company that tried to sue Kyle for pointing out that it was just a PC in a box with shit specs.

Oh, they did not try to sue me.....they did.

My lawyer bill at the end of the ride was $234,000. I got back $50,000 as ordered by the judge. That was truly about the end of HardOCP. I was at the point of selling my house, which I did not have too much equity in at the time, to keep HardOCP online had it not finally ended.

Last edited:
Please.... tell me more. Pics also

Lies, all lies. ;)

14362870673heBisQMwi_1_1.jpg

It's pathetic what people will do over a few words.

That can completely ruin somebodies life, just from some words that upset someone.
Well Kyle's review was pretty damning and it was 100% true. They just didn't like his review and of course the result is what he said.

Kyle: I can't remember the full details, did Phantom send you a review unit which caused all that bullshit?

I remember all that, really thought [H] was going to die, though I do miss the old one this one is still good. Still can't get over how horrible that company and console was to the community and the market in general.

I think Kyle has the only tool in existence that can properly open one of these

11 years goes by quick, I had been keeping up on all the drama back then and happened to be driving through Florida on a vacation (living in Michigan at the time) and saw their big huge ridiculous sign on the side of a building. I couldn't believe it, so I had to stop, pull in and check it out. I took the elevator, went to their floor, found their door and snapped some photos, eventually someone came out from the door and said to me and the girl who was with me at the time. "Who are you? What are you doing here?" I just remember thinking to myself, seriously, is that how you greet a potential customer? Anyway I said I was a big gaming fan, is there anyway I can take a tour? The response was "No, we don't do tours." and then closed the door. That was it. If I remember right, from what I could see while the door was open, their big office was a just couple of cubes, but man that sign on the outside was HUGE. Sweet memories.

So in other words they were trying to litigate you to death.

Yep. I think at first they thought they would just shut us up with threats actually.

Well Kyle's review was pretty damning and it was 100% true. They just didn't like his review and of course the result is what he said.

Kyle: I can't remember the full details, did Phantom send you a review unit which caused all that bullshit?

No, no review unit was ever sent to us.

All there in its glory.

I remember all that, really thought [H] was going to die, though I do miss the old one this one is still good. Still can't get over how horrible that company and console was to the community and the market in general.

Yeah, it was all pretty scary shit. I don't think I slept for a year.

I think Kyle has the only tool in existence that can properly open one of these

Actually a guy by the Royal O'brien is still the caretaker of the Phantom-O-Matic. :)

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20110827/ARTICLE/308279999
http://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...s-startup-woes-repeats-from-ceos-past/1226169

Hmm that's the most recent I can find so far. First article goes to point out that Roberts was promoting Savtira and it's going to be a billion+ revenue business. Second article now points out that Savtira is now defunct. So much for that billion+ revenue idea.

"Savtira promised trendy "cloud computing" technology for businesses seeking to sell their goods online."

LOL because there's shit called Amazon, overstock, ebay, craigslist, and the fucking list goes on.

Now the article says that Roberts was banned from being involved in publicly held companies until 2013. Now it's been 2 years since that ban lapsed and it makes me wonder what that fucker is up to these days. Probably planning his next pump and dump if he hasn't already.

Yeah, but people are buying their lapboards last I checked.

Don't confuse the two companies. The rights and naming conventions were sold off a long time ago. There are none of the old guard still at Phantom.

Lol. The damn thing has a coaxial port on the back labeled cable modem. I wonder how that's supposed to work or who it's supposed to fool.

Also, that Hardocp investigation into Phantom pretty much proved how [H] this site is. That and how they were the first site to stop using canned benchmarks. It's messed up how much it cost to defend a frivolous lawsuit.

Lol. The damn thing has a coaxial port on the back labeled cable modem. I wonder how that's supposed to work or who it's supposed to fool.

Also, that Hardocp investigation into Phantom pretty much proved how [H] this site is. That and how they were the first site to stop using canned benchmarks. It's messed up how much it cost to defend a frivolous lawsuit.
It didn't work at all. They were connected to nothing based on Kyle's review of the prototype here:
http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTA5Mjc5MjA3NVZlTEZmYW5BNUpfM18xN19sLmpwZw==
The only thing that was real in terms of connectivity was the ethernet port.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2004/09/16/inside_infinium_labs_phantom_console/3#.VZwSyGPV21Q

I remember this well...definitely a time stamp in my history!

This whole debacle was what made me join the forum and basically make [H] my #1 tech site, and why I'll always be a supporter.

And just realized I hit 11.0 years with that last post!

Near as I can tell, Tim Roberts is still out there living the American dream :(

As far as I'm concerned, these things aren't even worth a spot in the history books nor are the prototypes worth keeping for historical record.

Any chance we might get to see this one get the same treatment as the first one?

Kyle is the only one that has the proper tools to open these things up. I hear .50 BMG works wonders opening up hard drives so it should work just fine for this.

hypothermia hahah that brings back memories!
steve/kyle bring me another contest i will lose at constantly... lol

hypothermia hahah that brings back memories!
steve/kyle bring me another contest i will lose at constantly... lol

So true! I always thought "this will be the one I win and all my friends will be jealous!" but yea no never happened lol.

Whew I was starting to worry that I imagined hypothermia but I was in the same boat I entered all the contests and never won once but it was fun. Anyone remember when the [H] had a contest for a Pentium 4 that they turned in to a keychain because they let all the magic out?

Wow, I remember this like it was yesterday. I'm so happy Kyle, you pulled out of this standing strong.

Back