Another OC problem thread e6600 & Bad Axe 2

fenderltd

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2007
This is my first Intel in 6 or 7 years. After doing much reading, I am still not able to really get anything out of this cpu.

Intel Bad Axe 2
e6600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220144 <--ram

Here is a link to what the bad axe2 performace bios settings look like
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/395/2/

I guess I may be a little confused with the bus speed's and memory settings. Here are some CPUZ screen's that wills how what I have got to so far. I have tried lowering the ram etc. but I am doing something wrong. Thanks in advance.

i1.jpg

i2.jpg

i3.jpg

Enable Power Slope

Disable WatchDog, C1E, Speedstep and Thermal Control.

Set your RAM to run 2X, or 2.0, or 533mhz (whatever setting you might have on your board)
Also set the recommended timings and voltage for your RAM

Set the CPU Voltage to 1.4V

Up the FSB Voltage a notch or two.

Set the FSB frequency to 350. ( 350 FSB x 9 Multiplier should bring you to a 3.15ghz overclock

Set the PCI frequency to 33.33 and the PCI express to 100-105mhz. (if available)

If the settings work, try lowering your CPU voltage a bit since you might be able to reach that speed with less voltage.

Test for stability with Orthos (google it) Run it for a good 20 minutes @ first, later you can try running it for a few hours.

Watch your temperatures, use CoreTemp or Intel's TAT (google them). Stay below 65-70 while using Orthos or any other type of "LOAD"

under memory configuration select 533 to get your ram in 1:1
set your default memory voltage and timings manualy dont leave them on auto.
if you have stock cooling set vcore>1.375 or a good heatsink>1.400
increase fsb. you can try 350 which you should get right off the bat. then try 375, then try 385 and continue. the badaxe northbridge gets quite hot you might want to point a fan on it atleast.

wouldn't I want to run a divider on the ram instead of 1:1? I am confused with the bus speed and memory speed. With AMD, 200mhz was the actual running of the ram PC3200. If you wanted to clock higher and the ram was an issue, you would make the ram 266, 166 etc. I will try what you have told me and report back

Ok, I bumped up the voltage, set the ram to 533 and moved it to 300x9 no good. It comes to a screen after 20 seconds of blackness that says you have had unsuccesful post, do you want to enter the bios or boot with the settings again. I hit yes and backed it down, the system is looping, cdrom light flashing etc. What do I set memory Reference @ or is this even something to worry about? I can take shots of the options if need be. Something is wrong though, I have never had this trouble with an OC before. Thanks for trying to help

Did you set all the settings I mentioned above?

Try putting 1.45V on the CPU, if it works, then your CPU is not that great since it needs too many volts. If it doesn't, we need to look at something else!

What cooler are you using?

RAM?

wouldn't I want to run a divider on the ram instead of 1:1? I am confused with the bus speed and memory speed.
the bus speed (FSB) times the multiplier (for this chips is 9) equals your CPUmhz. (300fsbx9=2700mhz, 338x8=2700mhz, 400x9=3600mhz, 450x8=3600mhz) as you can see this is why you can drop the multiplier to get more out of your ram without raising the CPU.

for the 6600 with 800mhz RAM in 1:1 ratio, generaly you reach the top of the combo around the same time which is around 3.6ghz (800mhz ram 1:1 = 1600fsb divide by four for quad pumped ram equals 400mhz, and 400x9=3.6ghz). meaning when you hit the CPU wall, you are around the top for your ram as well, or vice versa. you can tweak it later but this helps find the best overclock more quickly. also in some cases 1:1 is more stable then the other settings, i had a p5w dh that wouldnt post even at stock speeds at anything other then 1:1

I hit yes and backed it down, the system is looping, cdrom light flashing etc
what power supply do you have? is it a 350w that came with a $40 case? that could cause the looping especialy when raising voltage.
i could also be temp related, posting what heatsink/cooling your using would help as orion suggested.

Antec Neo Power 550watt PSU, stock cooler, ram is listed in OP. Let me try more volts

with the stock cooler i would be very careful going above 1.4vcore watch temps like its your job, which it is. what are your temps at idle/load? (in bios it will tell you the idle temp in hardware monitor, if its not stable enough to get into windows you cant get a temp under load)

I am using core temp loading @ 47 right now on the stock cooler. This isn't my first time doing an overclock, just my first time using and overclocking an Intel my Tmax is 85c

I am using core temp loading @ 47 right now on the stock cooler. This isn't my first time doing an overclock, just my first time using and overclocking an Intel my Tmax is 85c

47C at what speed? stock? thats way too low to be overclocked at all on the stock HSF...

running 2.6 47c is the load in intel HM and core temp. Case cooling very good, amibent is pretty chilly as well.

hm not bad, what are you using to load the cpu? have you tried what i suggested earlier about jumping up to a higher FSB and see if it will jump over the no-boot zone? none of the hardware you have should stop you from getting atleast 3-3.2ghz

loading cpu with SP2004 Prime x2

Loading now @ 55c @ 330x9 I think it's time to upgrade cooling. I have a Swiftech kit that I am selling now because I wanted to try some different things. thanks for the help, I guess the problem was the volts, I needed 1.45 to get anywhere good. In the bios, what is the reference memory setting?

for 1.45vcore those temps arent bad. you can probably get 3.2-3.3 before temps become a problem. in your bios i think the stock voltage for memory is 1.9v. i hate that they put +1 or +2 instead of the actual voltage.

Back