• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Another New System Thread

WickedSS

n00b
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
7
Hey all,

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but considering my goal is a good overclocking rig, I thought this the best place.
I am building a new pc and want to make sure I am not missing anything or have any incompatibilities. I would really appreciate any input. I am working on a sub $700 budget so keep that in mind.
I am looking to overclock the cpu Modestly and wanna make sure that this setup will work.
So far i am at about $666 and change.

My main concern in making sure i am not overlooking anything and that there are no issues with the components or Vista Ultimate 64bit.

Thanks in advance.

Here is what i am looking to buy:
Antec Nine Hundred
Asus P5Q Pro
Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz oem
Corsair XMS2 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s
Xigmatek HDT S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
Xigmatek ACK- I7751 Retention Bracket

Already Own
PNY GeForce 8800gt 512
DVD burner
250GB Sata II HDD
 
Hey all, So far i am at about $666 and change...
eek.gif
Its already doomed to fail.... :p Looks good to me man, seems you did some research before hand.
 
What about a power supply? If you can afford it, I'd go for this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

The BFG ES-800 for $110 before rebate $70 AR right now is a far, far better deal. The 750 TX is nice, but the ES-800 is unquestionably better.

Of course, this is assuming the OP needs a PSU -- if they have an 8800 GT in their current system they probably have a quality 500 watt or better as it is. Should be fine for this new system as well.
 
The BFG ES-800 for $110 before rebate $70 AR right now is a far, far better deal. The 750 TX is nice, but the ES-800 is unquestionably better.

Of course, this is assuming the OP needs a PSU -- if they have an 8800 GT in their current system they probably have a quality 500 watt or better as it is. Should be fine for this new system as well.


I just looked at both specs, and, based on manufacturers provided specs, I would have to agree.
 
I just looked at both specs, and, based on manufacturers provided specs, I would have to agree.

I'm basing it on the reviews of both units here at [H]. And I'm not biased -- I own and use a 750 TX, but I'd take the ES-800 over it any day. ;)
 
thank you for all of the advice....

I don't mind loud in my pc case. As far as cable management...is there one that cools as well but weith better cable management for about the same price?

As far as the psu goes I did recently get a new one: PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous which is part of the reason i am building a new system...when the old one went out it caused a lot of problems cuz it took a while to go out and while it caused problems I kept thinking it was something else.:)


thanks again for the advice.
 
you could get a modular PSU and do a good job routing the wires. thats what I have done in the past
 
also would like to add that PC power and cooling is on newegg for a good price. IMO thats one of the best.
 
I don't mind loud in my pc case. As far as cable management...is there one that cools as well but weith better cable management for about the same price?

Yep. The Coolermaster Centurion 590 is at least on par with the 900 in terms of cooling ability, and is better for cable management.
 
Thank you ALL for your advice...I have ordered the parts this morning and can't wait for this build.....thanks again....what a great community!
 
Back
Top