Another nail in the coffin?

I wasn't aware that they released a good game after the original Unreal and UT for the PC. So they got famous because of the PC and now they're ditching it. So long. Been making crap since anyway.

Right so their business model and methods screwed themselves over for PC gaming (easy blame... pirates and not their own crap) what makes them think that consoles-only is suddenly gonna bring them a shad load of money

if they make crap it will sell like crap. Crap on a console is still crap

I say suck it up and sort their act out

Pirates do hurt gaming on the pc in a big way I dont see how anyone could deny that. For fun, let me check the pirate bay for how many leachers and seeders are going for UT3 right now *goes* ok about 3000 people, I really wish they had a list of total downloads, that would be interesting. Obviously a lot of people who steal games never would have bought them in the first place but there are definately quite a few who would purchase.

I think the company is going to succeed in a big way on consoles. The console scene never really had a great developer who leased out their high tech engines (valve did quite a few though) and frankly I enjoy UT engine much more than half life. Anyway, they are going to make a lot of money and have a lot less games stolen, I dont see how anyone could agree with it.

Now I am a console gamer and a pc gamer, I like both (mostly RPG's for console), it is always sad to see a huge developer go away.

It is unfortunate, but there are always going to be pirates. If PC gaming dies out and consoles become the only gaming scene, then pirates will find a way to make it happen there. It just so happens that right now it is easier on the PC. Don't underestimate the fact that if pirates wanted to crack consoles they would do it. They just seem to follow the path of least resistance.

Look at Microsoft, Vista was suppose to be uncrackable and there were cracks before its release. Now SP1 is suppose to beat the crackers once again, but there are cracks already out for it.

As for Epic, I agree with most people that they haven't made a good game since the original UT. So far, it has just been the same game rapped up in different graphics. And I hated UT3's "story" idea, UT already has a great story line... deathmatch.

Pirates do hurt gaming on the pc in a big way I dont see how anyone could deny that. For fun, let me check the pirate bay for how many leachers and seeders are going for UT3 right now *goes* ok about 3000 people, I really wish they had a list of total downloads, that would be interesting. Obviously a lot of people who steal games never would have bought them in the first place but there are definately quite a few who would purchase.

I think the company is going to succeed in a big way on consoles. The console scene never really had a great developer who leased out their high tech engines (valve did quite a few though) and frankly I enjoy UT engine much more than half life. Anyway, they are going to make a lot of money and have a lot less games stolen, I dont see how anyone could agree with it.

Now I am a console gamer and a pc gamer, I like both (mostly RPG's for console), it is always sad to see a huge developer go away.

Yeah but how many of those people have been online and seen all the comments about how crap UT3 are plastered all over forums and newsgroups etc, and then decided to pirate it because they don't want to risk money on something that's potentially crap.

*edit*

So in the context of this thread I'd say that making a shoddy game is the nail in your own coffin.

I can't fault people for pirating UT3 to be honest, if the developers really want to combat piracy they should make a game that impresses people enough to feel they should pay for it. There are more than enough people who are willing to pay for good games, I am one of them, sadly I paid for UT3 and found it was just a console reject, that'd going to hamper the passing of money from me to them in the future, no matter how good their future games are

Yeah but how many of those people have been online and seen all the comments about how crap UT3 are plastered all over forums and newsgroups etc, and then decided to pirate it because they don't want to risk money on something that's potentially crap.

*edit*

So in the context of this thread I'd say that making a shoddy game is the nail in your own coffin.

I can't fault people for pirating UT3 to be honest, if the developers really want to combat piracy they should make a game that impresses people enough to feel they should pay for it. There are more than enough people who are willing to pay for good games, I am one of them, sadly I paid for UT3 and found it was just a console reject, that'd going to hamper the passing of money from me to them in the future, no matter how good their future games are

QFT! Well spoken. I will always pay for quality entertainment, thats why I have bought so few games lately.

annoying "pc gaming is dead vs console gaming owns" thread #5,481,225

im enjoying playing games on my pc right now, today, in 2008 everything isn't all that bad, fuck epic if they dont want to make games for pc i could care less.. tired of these dumb threads, they prove nothing

For every developer that leaves the PC another one will take it's place. I'm sorry but since Digital Distribution isn't ever accounted for I don't believe any of the #'s that are referenced by some developers. One thing that is really bugging me these days about some of these doom and gloom types is that they are reacting to first week or first month #'s.Why has the gaming industry become the movie industry and they only look at first week profits??

Gamers are much more savvy then they used to be and early adopters are becoming a huge minority. Gamers IMO are taking a wait and see approach at launch. Everybody here knows that games are rushed by suits in ivory towers and are smart enough to wait for a Patch before really making a decision on a game.

There's no coffin for any nails to seek out. PC's doin' just fine.

I agree, but PC's have always been geared more towards RPG's and RTS's , i.e. Baulders Gate and Command and Conquer. Dont forget Flight simulators , they have always been top notch on PC's. Which reminds me they need to bring back the Mechwarrior series,

Mechwarrior *IS* playable on a console. You just need one of these:

frontbigdummmy7yf.jpg

(Front and back, that's a full keyboard)

or one of these

652255_640.jpg

King of racing? Not racing *simulations*. PC is easily king of that genre and always has been. Even FPS is arguable because the PC having mouse and keyboard support makes those games better on the PC too. Only genres console is king of is sports and fighting games. Any other genre is better on a PC.

Why would consoles be better at fighting games?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQbjx-kbW-8

Not very fancy but the point is that as long as you can type your name, you can do what they can in the arcades. Only faster.

Layout is Punch=QWE Kick=ASD. Same ones you use in any FPS game.

Back