Another modest setup

mattjw916

[H]ard|Gawd
iPhone snapshot of my very modest setup (covers removed). Not doing anything elaborate until I buy a house but I have been slowly upgrading the speakers and components (some of which are over 13 years old). Can't really replace anything else until I swap out my entire console since I am out of space.

Pieces and parts:

Samsung 40-something inch LCD 1080p/24
Pioneer Elite SC-07 receiver
Oppo BDP-83 Bluray, SACD, DVD, everything player
HPTC, LianLi case
Xbox 360 (obscured)
B&W CM7 front speakers
B&W ASW 10CM 500W class D powered subwoofer
Bose VCS-10 center channel
Bose 701 series 2 rear speakers (not shown)

I can't fit the matching center speaker into my current console so that means I have to spend more money before spending more money... good times. I recycled my very old fronts as rears since they at least are full range speakers that can keep up with the CM7s for multi-channel SACDs and such. Plus the direct-reflecting driver placement is almost analogous to having bipole surround speakers which really enlarges the sound stage for movies.

If I reorient the room I could do a full 7.1 setup but that will just end up with the cops being called (again) when I play music. My neighbors are douches... I won't be living here long.

Last edited:
If you are talking about the display that's just the Oppo's native OSD. It puts the info on the edges which is handy when you're trying to configure things.

I just run Win7 Home Premium 32 on the HPTC as it gives me the most flexibility. Nothing special there except for CoreAVC to leverage the CUDA features for HD playback.

The SC-07 is kickass, nice reciever! I also like the Bower and Wilkins mains - I have heard two setups with the brand and they are excellent. However, doesn't the entire setup sound 'off' because of the mismatched center?

-darkmatter08

The Pioneer's MCACC does a really good job of equalizing the speakers actually. It's not optimal of course and despite the average audiophile's "love-to-hate" issues with Bose it does reproduce dialog quite well considering how cheap it was; I bought it well over a decade ago to pair with my 701s that are moved to the rear.

The smallest B&W CM series center is more than double the size (and 10 times the cost, literally) of the Bose so it'll have to wait for now. I would've picked one up already if I had a place to put it.

I'm looking at some new furniture from http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/. Their stuff looks pretty sharp and isn't as insanely priced as some of the other stuff I've looked at with similar features.

Looks like you need a bigger rack for your gear. It would be interesting to hear the mix of Bose and B&W speakers. Those towers are sweet looking.

yeup... I'm still shopping for something that matches so I have a place for the appropriate center channel

Didnt i read in another forum you had to repair that TV, and if so well done.

Yeup, not much later the capacitors melted down and I had to break out the soldering iron...

Many thanks!

- B&W CM Centre has been added, woot!
- Swapped my rears with a pair of 3 way Sony speakers I had laying around for some additional position testing.
- New BDI console ordered along with an APC power conditioner to tidy up the power and cabling, should arrive via freight around the beginning of March

Power conditioner and new centre channel are now installed... Room acoustics are next on the list to play with along with new rear speakers.

Last edited:
Very nice. That's the kind of media rack I'm looking to get sometime. Just not enough gear to justify the rack yet.

Back