another model - my study

se4b4ss

Gawd
here's the pic:

study.jpg

i have been trying for a week to make global illumination work. i have followed tutorials and have not had any luck. any advice, gurus?

*EDIT - 3ds max 5.1

thanks in advance,
steve

Seems like a decent model ... I don't know 3ds ... but some decent illumination, and some
solid texturing would make this GREAT!

what do you mean by global illumination, are you trying to use the default lighting in you scene? or do you have lights that you put in yourself? Looks like you have more than one light in the scene so IM assuming you did put lights in... whats the effect your looking to get?

i figured out to turn it on, but obviuosly still have some adjusting to do.... :D

study2.jpg

ps. that's a lamp shade and a soda can on my desk.

thanks,

Hmmm, it's coming along ... you just need to soften the lights ... intensity and sharpness
is WAAAY too high! ;)

ok, got the lighting under control....

study3.jpg

will start concentrating on the model again.

regards,
steve

maybe add more polys to that lamp shade to smooth it out. If you were going for that blocky effect, then try to round out the edges a lil more. And what exactly is the lamp shade hanging off of anyway?

thanks, new model takes care of all that stuff. i lathed out a nice lamp bottom and used tube with more polys for my lamp shade. any other general suggestions?

regards,
steve

Increase the radius of the GI and then up the ammount. Should improve things a lot.

Damn that looks freaking awesome :) what program are you using to make it?

EDIT: and how much time did it take btw?

instead of reconstructing your lamp shade with a modified tube, why not just lathe the lamp shade? Also, try making something more complex like an office chair or telephone.

Increase the radius of the GI and then up the ammount. Should improve things a lot.

i don't see the radius option and do you mean up the global multiplier?

Damn that looks freaking awesome what program are you using to make it?
EDIT: and how much time did it take btw?

ty. 3ds max 5.1. i am new to modeling so the model took 2 or 3 hours including the many renders...with global illumination renders are taking 7-9 minutes with the machine in my sig. :eek:

se4b4ss, show us the latest progress on your scene already!

:cool: i'll try to post something later tonight. i have decided to play hooky tomorrow so i should have the hour or so dedicated to modeling.

instead of reconstructing your lamp shade with a modified tube, why not just lathe the lamp shade? Also, try making something more complex like an office chair or telephone.

great idea on the lamp shade. i will work on more complex as my skills and confidence increase. i'd like to redo the desk b/c my real desk is kick-a$$. :)

thanks for the great comments guys,
steve

well, its not like you're going for an emmy on best 3d studio effects, so you should build your confidence by trying new things. 3D graphics applications give you tons of possibilities, so if you think something might work, try it...it may lead to something even better than what you had expected.

Also, try getting a book that covers most of the features in 3DSmax and guides you through tutorials that cover most of the tools. I bought one for Lightwave, thinking I was already good at modeling and constructing scenes, but after reading the book, I found I had only known about 5% of the programs real power.

here is the latest rendering. i learned a lot doing this model and now it's time to move on, but i'll be sure to post my new stuff. thanks for your great comments.

pic

regards,
steve

pretty good for a beginners piece =). I give it a 6/10 with 10 being pixar quality of course. Keep up the good work.

Looks nice, I like it.

I'm used to using MentalRay but in MAX, there should be an option, possible under the lights for the size of the GI spots. The larger they are, the more calm the effect and it won't look too splotchy.

Ooh, advice: Try turning down the lighting and maybe tossing some radiosity in there. I like your models and I think with some more natural lighting, it would look (in the words of Khan's boss on King of the Hill) Super Nice!

looking very nice so far...

how long have you been using max?

couple suggestions:
try changing up the wood textures.
its looks as though you've chamfered most of your edges (can't really tell) if you have, try to get a nice little spec highlight on some of them. it'll really add to the realism.

besides putting spheres and boxes on a plane, this is about my 5th model.

i only have the materials that came with max 5.1...besides, the wood in my study is all cherry with a dark stain. :p

no chamfer in this model. just figured out what chamfer was recently and i have since stopped working on this model.

thanks again for the comments. i will start a new post with my most recent model.
steve

:eek:

juntao lives!

juntao you knucklehead ... you had best start posting some serious eyecandy seriously soon! ;)

se4b4ss said:
here is the latest rendering. i learned a lot doing this model and now it's time to move on, but i'll be sure to post my new stuff. thanks for your great comments.

pic

regards,
steve

That's really nice. I wish I could do something like that. I have 3DS Max 5, but I have no idea where to even begin. What I'd really like to do is model a pool table ;)

FIRST MODELING TECHNIQUE IN ANY SOFTWARE:

1) Make a cube, size it to just about the size of one the main feature (pool table = table top)
2) Go to subcomponent mode and select a face
3) Extrude the face making a new polygon growing off the old.
4) Resize the newly created faces and position vertices untill all is good
5) Smooth faces that need to be rounded off.

AmpsMight said:
FIRST MODELING TECHNIQUE IN ANY SOFTWARE:

1) Make a cube, size it to just about the size of one the main feature (pool table = table top)
2) Go to subcomponent mode and select a face
3) Extrude the face making a new polygon growing off the old.
4) Resize the newly created faces and position vertices untill all is good
5) Smooth faces that need to be rounded off.

Not neccesarily ... if you use NURBS or BOOLEAN modelling techniques those will simply
not cut it, for mesh modelling I can understand where you're coming from though! ;)

Lord Hyperion said:
:eek:

juntao lives!

juntao you knucklehead ... you had best start posting some serious eyecandy seriously soon! ;)

i will soon...i just have to get a few things rendered :D

Lord Hyperion said:
Not neccesarily ... if you use NURBS or BOOLEAN modelling techniques those will simply
not cut it, for mesh modelling I can understand where you're coming from though! ;)

I was responding to a guy who has never used 3DS before. Typically, you don't touch NURBS untill you're well into learning the software and how to model. And who uses boolean's for a main modelling technique anyways?

Back