Another Kool Firefox Discovery

AchTuNG!

Gawd
I'm sure a lot of people know this already, but I just worked it out. I was editing someone else's asp and couldn't find the bit in the code that made a section of the page. So i thought wouldn't it be cool if I could highlight a small section of the site and view the source for it. Well you can!!!

Simply highlight a small section of any webpage, right click and click "view selection source". It will open a html source window as normal, but the bit that drives what you've selected will be selected in the source page.

neato!

handy, but not particularly unique. IE has been capable of the same (via MS Developer addins) since 5.

ah but who would install the MS dev addins but devs that knew they existed? I didnet know about them, and this could be damn useful! thanks for the info!

I have been using the browser since the first Phoenix release, and I keep discovering nice things about it. It has come to a point where I question the computer skills of those who say they are IE users who will not switch. I get the same feeling that I get when I run across an AOL user here. Is that a bad thing? ;)

Anyway, you are right. Firefox is cool.

is this a subliminal cigerette ad?
or is the a big red Pitcher of refreshing coolant about to bust through my wall?

:p :p :p

cool find though ;)

Ice Czar said:
is this a subliminal cigerette ad?
or is the a big red Pitcher of refreshing coolant about to bust through my wall?
Nah, just more Firefox spam from the zealots. Pay us no mind. ;)

...but smoke 'em, if you got 'em.

Ice Czar said:
I havent smoked Koolaid since I was in High School :p
Those potzowies and tracers that you keep seeing aren't from smoking Koolaid. :D

now now, those are definately side effects of my tinfoil posioning :p

Actually, I've got one gripe with this (and maybe someone knows a fix):
The selection source is only the smallest element necessary to contain the selection (for instance, if you grab some thread titles here, a <tbody>), not the whole page. Consequently, context is lost and I still have to open the whole page and find the relevant area.

Is there a way to get selection source with the whole page displayed?

lomn75 said:
Is there a way to get selection source with the whole page displayed?
Well, you can click in the margins, but then it shows the whole page. Are you saying that it would be nice to see an entire page, but with a selected part highlighted maybe? If so, I'll bet we can get an extension made, assuming one doesn't exist already.

Id hate to see your idea of obvious in that event :p

(mental images of Wiley Coyote being hit with a boulder)

Ice Czar said:
Id hate to see your idea of obvious in that event :p

(mental images of Wiley Coyote being hit with a boulder)
His idea of subtle is being seduced by Charlize Theron in Howard Stern's studio. :D

sandman78 said:
Didn't know about this, thanks for the tip.
We have spammed the thread so much that we aren't sure what it is you didn't know about. In any event, I'll take the opportunity to say "You're welcome."
...from all of us. :)

Hello and welcome to years ago.

lastyear.png

But yeah, it's good that people have discovered that firefox can copy features that other people thought of a long time ago :)

That's the thing about Firefox. There's always something cool that someone finds that most of us never considered. It's amazing really.

Back