Upgrading from a PIII 800Mhz to something useable for at least 2-3 years (Don't need to be super high end, but nice mid-range with a good upgrade path). Overall total budget is approx CDN$2000-2500 (No monitor required). I would consider an Intel, but I don't want to spend hundreds on a processor and motherboard knowing it will be out of date in Q2/3 of 2005 (I want to buy this system now, and have been saving since September, and don't want to wait any longer). Also, I would have access to the Intel retail buying program (if they release one) later in the year, so I could get a good deal from that if they repeat last year's deal.
AMD dual cores being compatible with current motherboards seems appealing, so I can get acceptable performance with a relatively cheap proc, and upgrade later on (The 10x multiplier on the 3200 will make it easier overclock compared to a 3000).
This computer would be my 'main' computer, with tasks including Photoshop, other photo apps, math programs (eg Mathematica, etc.), some games, and Video renderering with a PVR card of some sort later on (but not now). Usual blurb with Multi-tasking, but if this means I will have to wait 20-30min for the DVD to encode/burn, and -then- play HL2 at full res/eye candy, so be it.
I'm not quite sure on which motherboard I want, but a few considerations:
-NF4 based
-SLI not required, but if it has it, all the better.
-At least 3-4 Sata ports with working locks
-1394b would be nice, but not super necessary
-Built in Wi-Fi and 2+ PCI cards would be ideal, but if not, at least 3 PCI slots.
-If it doesn't have Wi-Fi/2+ PCI slots or No Wi-Fi/3 PCI slots, a cheap PCIe x1 SCSI card that would work with a Kodak 8660 thermal printer. (The card doesn't need any internal drive connectors, but if it has it, I'll take it)
-Not a huge fan of MSI (bad experiences), but if it is the only thing...
Buying in Canada, so consider if suggesting places to buy (eg Newegg doesn't ship to Canada)
- CM WaveMaster or Antec P160 (Would love to get P180 but not available yet)
- OCZ 420W Powerstream (or 520W Modstream, but leaning towards the 420W)
- Athlon 64 3200
- Zalman 7000 or 7700 with AS5
- Corsair TWINX1024-3200XL 2x512 PC3200
- BBA Radeon x800 XL @ MSRP
- PCI Soundblaster Audigy 2 (already own)
- PCI Wi-Fi card (already own - unless board has built-in)
- PCI SCSI card for using SCSI printers/scanners (already own)
- Plextor PX-716A
- 2x 74GB Raptor
- 1x 250GB 8MB cache (Seagate or Western Digital.. would consider Maxtor with 16MB cache but they had problems with NF4?)
- Mitsumi 7-in-1 floppy/card reader combo
Thanks for any advice.
AMD dual cores being compatible with current motherboards seems appealing, so I can get acceptable performance with a relatively cheap proc, and upgrade later on (The 10x multiplier on the 3200 will make it easier overclock compared to a 3000).
This computer would be my 'main' computer, with tasks including Photoshop, other photo apps, math programs (eg Mathematica, etc.), some games, and Video renderering with a PVR card of some sort later on (but not now). Usual blurb with Multi-tasking, but if this means I will have to wait 20-30min for the DVD to encode/burn, and -then- play HL2 at full res/eye candy, so be it.
I'm not quite sure on which motherboard I want, but a few considerations:
-NF4 based
-SLI not required, but if it has it, all the better.
-At least 3-4 Sata ports with working locks
-1394b would be nice, but not super necessary
-Built in Wi-Fi and 2+ PCI cards would be ideal, but if not, at least 3 PCI slots.
-If it doesn't have Wi-Fi/2+ PCI slots or No Wi-Fi/3 PCI slots, a cheap PCIe x1 SCSI card that would work with a Kodak 8660 thermal printer. (The card doesn't need any internal drive connectors, but if it has it, I'll take it)
-Not a huge fan of MSI (bad experiences), but if it is the only thing...
Buying in Canada, so consider if suggesting places to buy (eg Newegg doesn't ship to Canada)
- CM WaveMaster or Antec P160 (Would love to get P180 but not available yet)
- OCZ 420W Powerstream (or 520W Modstream, but leaning towards the 420W)
- Athlon 64 3200
- Zalman 7000 or 7700 with AS5
- Corsair TWINX1024-3200XL 2x512 PC3200
- BBA Radeon x800 XL @ MSRP
- PCI Soundblaster Audigy 2 (already own)
- PCI Wi-Fi card (already own - unless board has built-in)
- PCI SCSI card for using SCSI printers/scanners (already own)
- Plextor PX-716A
- 2x 74GB Raptor
- 1x 250GB 8MB cache (Seagate or Western Digital.. would consider Maxtor with 16MB cache but they had problems with NF4?)
- Mitsumi 7-in-1 floppy/card reader combo
Thanks for any advice.