Another "help me upgrade" thread.

ullyeus

Supreme [H]ardness
Okay,

It seems every so often I go through this fidgetty "gotta to spend money I don't have on stuff I don't need" phase. (I think some of you know this)

The thing is I am relatively out of the loop with a lot of computer stuff, I haven't been actively [H] in well over a year. I've been reading through a lot of pages trying to get back up to speed but sometimes it's hard.

Anyways, I am contemplating some upgrades and was wondering if anyone here could offer me some insight.

Current system:
AMD Barton 2500+ (socket A)
1 gig Kingston 3500 (2 512)
Ideq 200n (nforce2 board)
80gig seagate 7200rpm ata
ATI 9500 (moddable to 9700)
LG 16x dvd burner
19 inch samsung LCD

The current system is relatively stable and quick right now, still crashes maybe once or twice a week, I think it's mostly due to heat which is often at 55c-60c (cpu)

The whole system is starting to get a bit "frankenstein" on me now too, for example it has a silly long shuttle powersupply sticking out ot the rear of it...this is mainly because every other m-atx powersupply I tried blew up so i got mad and bought a "good" one, unfortunately I didn't know shuttles were such a radically different shape...*le sigh*

Next year I plan to do a more major upgrade which will have a system looking up something like this:

Newest AMD Processor (could be convinced to go Intel)
Small Form Factor Case
4 gigs of Kingston Ram (4x1 gig)
~400 gig sata seagate drive
Maybe same videocard, or something a little faster but I want it passively cooled.
LG 16x dvd burner
24 inch widescreen lcd (dell)
I also plan to truly trick this one out in a UV fasion and watercool the processor (all in a SFF case will be tough but *shrug*)

So here is where I need some input...

I got the urge to buy right now...but can't afford it all, the fact that the current system is looking so ghetto right now is just buggine me.

So I am seriously considering buying just the case/motherboard/processor right now and swapping the rest of the components into it.

Now...if this was the case...what Small Form Factor system would you recommend here? Something that is dead sexy, but keeping in mind I want to put a lot of water stuff in here next year. Also...would all my components work in this new case? Also...would I regret buying this system now? or is there some reason I should wait until early next year and just live with this stupid ghetto system?

I'd like a processor either cheap and comparable to my 2500+...that I could massively upgrade next year...or one that (while still cheap) would give me a massive performance difference so I wouldn't want to upgrade.

I'm thinking I'd like to get the case soon so I could do some anodizing/cutting/ducting on it far before I want it to be my main system.

Thanks for reading my rambles this far, I do appreciate it and any feedback you have.

Back