Another happy A8N-SLI owner here

vxspiritxv

[H]ard|Gawd
Been a hectic day for me, here it is 3am (started playing with the machine at 2am).
Currently sitting at 240fsb with out any tweeks. 5x HT, 1:1 memory! Well worth the money.
Granted I am on a pci video card because im too broke for a pci-e card right now. Mmm 800x600, 16bit, 75hz fastest this ati card will go heh.
* 1002 bios, AI o/c to 3% to get pci lock working.

Using clockgen for nforce4 to go faster! Have yet to hit a crash... don't know what my memory or HT will cap out at yet. Kinda late must sleep, dun wana, but must.

Memory is single stick of corsair CMX512-3200C2PT would not boot at 2T 2,7,2 so left auto... cpuz says:
cas: 3
ras to cas: 3
ras precharge: 3
tras: 8
trc: 11
idle timer: 16

cpu is 3000+ 90nm 35C @ cpu 30C at mobo ; full load.... something tells me this is gona overclock like mad :D

... but must sleep

Congrats! I just put my mobo in my case last night and installed the sound card and ram.. I dont have a Cpu or a Videocard yet.. :(

Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow! :D Still need a couple more parts tho. Like a CPU. And RAM. And a video card. Nothing important, you know. lol :p

Retail heatsink, powersupply is like a $40 HEC 350 watt with 15amps on 12v heh. I know my powersupplys limits.... ~6drive scsi raid started to out do it, even tho the raid was failing, the computer kept running fine.
--
Just did a bit more overclocking, changed HT to 4x, mem to 333, crashed at 261fsb... have to assume it was cpu voltage (being default at 1.4) .... Now for more p0wAA (insert tim allen grunt here)
--
Edit:
Just changed overclock mode to manual, set pci express to 101mhz seem to got pci lock working. Set fsb to start up at 240; Set vcore to 1.43, asus probe is reporting 1.53! hmm whatever time to see what it will do now.

Looks like 258 will be my max fsb =(
Seems I get cruption at 260 and above... prime95 error:
FATAL ERROR: Reading from temp file.
Tryed HT at 3x, same stuff... cpu voltage has no effect on it. Maybe chipset overheating? It gets darn hot... but I kinda expected my o/c to be much higher :(

Edit:
So now stability testing:
Memory is set back at DDR400 (1:1)
Ht: 4x
Cpu: manual
fsb: 256
mem: 2.6v
mult: 9 (auto)
vcore: 1.41 (1.40 unstable in prime, asus probe reported 1.39 anyways)
Here is a pic :)
probe.jpg

Maybe a new bios would help, but I hear all sorts of my device doesn't get detected with the beta bios, so I'm not going to go there. I'm happy enough with a 500mhz overclock anyways hehe.

Its Auto, assuming 2t. I tryed setting memory manually, but it wouldn't boot at all, had to clear cmos just to get it to boot.
mem.jpg

Seems fast enough.

You definatelly need to go dual channel man...

With my stock dual channel settings I get a little under 5k in sandra's mem bandwidth...

Right now I am at about 7100mb/s MAX I can't get it over that number... I am not sure how this effects realworld performance, but...

I need a $200 video card first :(
Anyways, think I found my problem whal overclocking, seems 1002 bios doesn't save HT info correctly? Ntune shows 5X HT! ugh, wonder if it can 'save' the setting.

I have my board but no videocard or cpu.. Why should I buy a CPU when i cant buy a PCI Express videocard.. boohoo :(

Hi, everyone. This is my first post here but I've been reading here for a long time.

I've got the motherboard and cpu so far but I am still wairing on the video card. :rolleyes:
I can't afford to get two video cards at the moment so I am waiting on Ati to get thier crap together and make the x850 available. After I get it I'll have to swap cases and put my WC setup on it then i'll post some pics.

-Shane

vxspiritxv said:
I need a $200 video card first :(
Anyways, think I found my problem whal overclocking, seems 1002 bios doesn't save HT info correctly? Ntune shows 5X HT! ugh, wonder if it can 'save' the setting.

Yeah I remember hearing that the 1002 bios had that prob, although it actually seemed to detect my SATA2 drive (none of the other BIOS's can do it consistently)
I would much rather overclock and use an IDE disk for now...

LOL Im so bored just staring at my A8N Sli Deluxe? Should I take off the Northbridge fan remove the stock goo and Add Artic Silver 5? Lol should i ? :p

Jasonx82 said:
LOL Im so bored just staring at my A8N Sli Deluxe? Should I take off the Northbridge fan remove the stock goo and Add Artic Silver 5? Lol should i ? :p

Of course you should! And while you are at it, do the same with that bigass heatsink on the MOSFET's :D

Just got a leadtek 6600GT ; 3598 3dmarks in 05:
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=460980
Card 'detected' o/c at 587core 1.17mem, but I never run anything at its max... I have it set for now at 550core 1.12mem using coolbits.
Lowered my FSB down to 250mhz... anything higher I get sata corruption. *Not 100% sure at this speed, tho so far haven't seen any.
Seems fast enough, steps all over my old rig (a7n8x , 2500+ o/c 3200+, geforce 5700), so I'm happy.

I will edit this in a few min with 3dmark03 score. (Means very little, but I use 3dmark to compare my old rigs to my new ones)
-
8088 in 03, also looks like im stressing my powersupply, got random stalls two 4second stalls in the first run, 2 in the second run but a hardreboot in the 2nd run. Was stable at 11.7v with the old junky pci card but new vid card drops it to under 11.5... ugh money pit hehe.

Good work on the overclock. Keep us posted man this is good hints!!!

Personally im on to A8N SLI mobo number 2 for me after i RMAed the first one for totally blowing up on me and iam having problems with this one but i think i have narrowed it down to my psu and my 6600GT vid card which will be going back to newegg as well .... damn this is getting to be a pain. Ohhh well i think it might be worth it!

I can't wait to get mine up and running. Specs in sig. I'm just waiting on the PSU right now. Should be here soon.

Don't have one, but I've heard tons of great stuff about them. I even saw one........ :eek: LOL, im not that big of a noob

BioVader said:
Not to impressed by the SLI by your 3dmark 05 scores.. Kind of sucks that you only have a 6600 and 512mg of ram...

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=144061

What I'd like to see is what 2 6800 will do with a decked out system..

Dude, how can you be so dissapointed in the score from his one 6600 when comparing it to a X800XT PE? His card cost $200, what the hell did you pay for the XT PE? $600-800? If its faster you want, here it is.

9777 (66.93), decked out, but with GT's vs 6800nu (if that was what you were asking for).

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=431525

I have an issue with my setup, right now i got the fsb set to 233mhz and the pci set to 100, Doesnt that lock the pci?? The issue I am having is when i run 3dmark, or check asus probe or run the windows system properties the cpu is shown as 2.57 ghz, while when i run cpuz or cpuid it says its running at 1.164ghz. Is this the actuall speed or what is going on??

Set your pci-e to 101mhz, that will turn on the lock under 1002bios.

As for 3dmark scores, could care less, hella faster than my old 5700ultra tho. Games run smooth for me; I only run 1152x864. Need for speed underground 2 runs great, so I'm happy ;)

canislupy said:
Dude, how can you be so dissapointed in the score from his one 6600 when comparing it to a X800XT PE? His card cost $200, what the hell did you pay for the XT PE? $600-800? If its faster you want, here it is.

9777 (66.93), decked out, but with GT's vs 6800nu (if that was what you were asking for).

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=431525

Yes thats what I wanted to see.. And no I didn't pay $600-800 for the PE since it's a $400 vivo card. So I paid just a little more then he did for his system if you think about it... Minus the ram... As soon as the DFI boards come out I will prolly build a dual 6800 if the scores make me happy... :D

vxspiritxv said:
Set your pci-e to 101mhz, that will turn on the lock under 1002bios.

As for 3dmark scores, could care less, hella faster than my old 5700ultra tho. Games run smooth for me; I only run 1152x864. Need for speed underground 2 runs great, so I'm happy ;)

Too late went to the 1003.5 bios, so far so good, my memory might be my bottle neck but the xms 3200c2 memory seems to be holding its own at 228mhz i am running at a 2.51ghz right now.

Glad you did not pay the insane prices on that XT PE, it boggles my mind how some do. Yes, I paid $800 for my two 6800GT's (retail price, never would have paid more), and yes that is a lot of money too, but I can sell one at any time and still have myself a damned fine card with good framerates even without doing SLI.

Can't wait for those DFI boards... *drool* ... coming from Abit boards, Asus' bios leaves a lot to be desired.

vxspiritxv said:
Set vcore to 1.43, asus probe is reporting 1.53! hmm whatever time to see what it will do now.

Looks like you got a nice board there! My A8N wont give me more than 1.51 Vcore- thats with the bios setting at a scary 1.6.

Keep pushing that thing, maybe get some good cooling. The Zalman 7000Cu just barely fits btw. Mine is about a mm from the memory heatspreaders. Never the less beast of a cooler.

Jasonx82 said:
I have my board but no videocard or cpu.. Why should I buy a CPU when i cant buy a PCI Express videocard.. boohoo :(
I am in the same boat. I have my board, but no video cards to go with it.

Hey all,

Just got my setup from FedEx today from ZipZoomFly.

Put in all the hardware and all is up and running.

I just went with the pair of PCI-E BFG 6600GT's and the 3DMark numbers in 03 & 05 are better then my previous AGP BFG 6800GT OC that was clocked at Ultra Speeds. Installing a couple games as I write this (and running Prime 95 without any issues so far!)

I will let you know how HL2 and Doom3 seem to play - as well as World of Warcraft.

This has been the most painless system install in a long time... not a single issue.

Just running the stock BIOS - 1002 and stock speeds for now. I will definitely OC when i am sure everything runs correctly at stock speeds.

Will keep you posted!

There is so much information I wish you guys would post about your dual video card... Mainly benchmarks... 3dmark 03 scores, Aquamark, and CS Source Stress test.. I would really like to see that.. Right now fro the time being I'm thinking about ordering some DDR-4000 to see if I can get a little better speeds from my A8V Deluxe running my +3500 at 2.5ghz.

Back