• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Another Failed Overclock! HELP!!!

Kasher_Khan

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 18, 2005
Messages
297
OK! So I can't say I am an expert at this Ocing business. But I have read up enough to atleast know what I am doing. Anyways

So I tried to find the max of my CPU and Mem seperatly just like the guide says.But instead of going for the max I just wanted to know if both can do 255Mhz individually. Since I have PC4000 memory rated at 250Mhz wiht 3-4-4-8 timmings I decided to use that as a starting point (I know thats the wrong approach). Anyhoo Memotest86+ was fine for about 9hrs and 15passes using the DFI bios tool. Now for the CPU 255 (X11 = 2.8) was also fine. No trouble booting into windows. Prime95 ran for 8hrs with no issues.(I increased the Vcore from 1.37 to 1.45v , funny thing is CPU-Z sees voltage as 1.42 uner Windows).

When I tested both mem and CPU together I still passed torture tests for 4 hrs or so in windows under Prime95. So I got excited and ran 3mark05 (bad idea eh?) well... the system started to flicker in the test demos and frame rates went to very low and finally the system hung up. No prob! killed 3dmark...windows was still fine. Rebooted system... and .... and the thing won't load windows. The progress bar showed up but then it would keep rebooting. So I went back into bios and loaded defaults. Again nothing. Got a currupt system 32 file msg from windows this time. Tried a repair(fixing MBR and what not) No luck! I had to reinstall windows and everything was back to normal.

My question is... Did I rush it with making huge jumps... cause thats what I think caused the messup. Is this normal... Last quesiton.. My temps in windows are shown much lower than wat the bios readings show? Any explanation... Current idle temps 27,36,41 CPU PWMIC and CHipset respect.

Looking forward to some schooling!!!!
 
Is the 1.45V (bios -1.42v reported under windows CPUZ ) for CPU Vid too low to get upto 2.8Ghz. is 1.5V to 1.6 too high to try? For those of you who have been able to get that far what voltages are you using...What else can I play with to get a to the FX57 mark. Also if I get there... can I expect to have "identical" performance to an FX57 ???
 
Depending on the chip, some clocks may be stable at lower voltages. If it becomes stable when you tried this at a lower voltage then keep it. To make it more stable you can increase the vcore. What are you using to cool this? If it is on air I may say try 1.5v, if the temps are good. My Thermaltake Big Typhoon did pretty well at that voltage.
 
ya since you are air don't push the volts too high, 1.5v if the temps are good may most likely will give you a stable 2.8
 
On the DFI board its reccomended not to go over 1.45v without using the %

IE 1.35 + 110%

Also too hard of an O/C on the mem will corrupt your windows install
 
Constanople said:
On the DFI board its reccomended not to go over 1.45v without using the %

IE 1.35 + 110%

Also too hard of an O/C on the mem will corrupt your windows install


So I guess the best thing to do is to get a second HDD and play around with that cause I don't want to have to install Windows over and over again. I have a second computer but it is too slow for my taste now (I play with the best of them now:)

I know about the % settings. Its the one next to the CPU vid right? Can you please explain in a little bit more detail how that works. Lets say I did want to run at 1.5v. What % would I need and how does that work. Secondly my temp are in the 30+ - range for Vcore depending on room temp. is that high for idle? Also what is thisPWMIC thing...
 
So i figured out the speacial control on my own.

Aparently to asnwer my own question I would need


110% for 1.513 113% for 1.554 and 123% for 1.691

the math is Vid control X speacial control = Vcore voltage i. 110% x 1.375(default) = 1.51v

Now the part of the question still asnwered is why would I wanna do it this way as opposed to just crankin up the volts from vid control? Is there an advantage... ?
 
there are several different levels of special, IE 104%, 110% etc.

if you check www.dfi-street.com there are a few threads explaining what the issue is. Your math is correct, on how to figure the formula. The combination of vcores plus special control basically allow you to get almost any vcore setting imaginable (within reason). Your windows install should not corrupt if you can make several passes of test 5 and test 8 in mem test.

Like i said check out DFI street for help specific to your MB. There is also official DFI and OCZ support there that help out quite often with issues.
 
Back
Top