Another defective GTX 280?

RadXge

2[H]4U
I got a brand new BFG GTX 280 last week and I have been having the following issues since then.
1) My PC does not post 33% of the time. A long beep followed by two small beeps (which indicates a video error) occurs when the PC does not boot. In this case, nothing shows up on the monitor. Otherwise, Windows XP/Vista run fine.
2) I hear a very high pitch noise when playing a 3D video game (I hear this noise even in the startup menu of Crysis). The pitch noise is stable and does not get worst when the fan speed gets higher. Maybe a deffective capacitor? 3D games are stable. Therefore, I doubt that there is a problem with the PSU. I am aware that this video card is not noiseless but this is a bit ridiculous and I hope it is abnormal!

This is what I tried so far
1) Replace the GTX 280 by a 8800GT 512MB. No more issues!
2) Clear CMOS
3) Use only one RAM + remove all unnecessary harwares (Second HD, DVD, fans, etc..)
Unfortunately, I cannot test the GTX 280 in any other of my PCs since it does not fit.

Time to RMA?

See sig for specs.

If you've tested everything you can, then I'd say you've a strange issue that is related to the GPU, and should probably replace it to be sure. Unless, perhaps, your PSU is having a problem.

I was going to mention this a couple of weeks ago, but even though every manufacturer has failures, BFG seems to be having a much higher rate of failure than EVGA, who I've stuck with for years.

I currently run an EVGA GTX 280 that I purchased just after it's release, and it's been perfect since day one. I know they've had some issues as well, but BFG seems to be giving a lot of people a headache.

Sounds like it's definitely a problem, and though I know many people like BFG, perhaps you should move to EVGA, who has an excellent warranty and step-up program.

the high pitched noise is common on nvidia gpu's using the metal IHS over the GPU DIE. it is perfectly normal, ive had the 8800gtx and gtx280 and both make the high pitched noise but have given me no problems even during long gaming sessions.

this would explain why when you put an 8800gts in, which has no IHS over the gpu, there is no noise.

the 33% boot issue i have never heard of, maybe inadaquit psu?

Thanks guys but I doubt that my PSU is defective since it has enough power to run Crysis like a champ.
Everything is perfectly stable once my PC boots.

I have owned many NVIDIA cards (8800GTX, 8800GTS 512MB, 9600GT, 8800GT) and it is the first time that I hear such a high pitch noise. I am doing a LAN in two weeks and I am afraid that my friends will want to isolate me on the 3rd floor while they be playing in the basement...

Still could be the power supply because of the excess draw from the GTX280, dirty power thus causing the squealing. But there are also theories that the Integrated Heat Spreader on nVidia chips is causing this, exactly how I'm not sure.

I got a brand new BFG GTX 280 last week and I have been having the following issues since then.
1) My PC does not post 33% of the time. A long beep followed by two small beeps (which indicates a video error) occurs when the PC does not boot. In this case, nothing shows up on the monitor. Otherwise, Windows XP/Vista run fine.

I kinda have a similar issue with my GTX260:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1340455

At first I wasn't getting a signal at all. But now the card is booting most of the time, although at times it still does not post. When it does, it's stable under load. Not sure what's causing the no-post problem, could be a PSU, motherboard, the card itself or a combination of those.

Oh well, I decided to keep the card anyway seeing that the problem doesn't happen very often. I don't have the high pitch noise you're getting though, but I heard a few GT2xx owners complain about that issue before.

I inverted the SATA cables between my 2 hard disks 4 days ago and my PC has been booting fine since then.
I am 100% sure that the SATA cables were correctly connected before inverting them.

Any logical explanation???

I say buy a PSU with one voltage rail, not 4 or 6. PC power and cooling FTW. Corsair 620, 750 are good as well. when all those voltage rails are split, the card may need 20A when it starves at 14A. Newegg sometimes has crazy prices for the PC power&cooling. I have the 610w. paid 108. now u can get it for 90 after rebate free ship.

http://www.pcpower.com/technology/myths/

made in 'merica, not repackaged chinese over-priced. bad psu will make anomalies in video cards.

Well, XP did not recognize my video card this morning. GPU-z and NVIDIA drivers installation program did not recognize the video card.
After rebooting, there was no video during post with one long beep and two shorts beep.

Time to RMA!

BTW, my PSU is a TAGAN BZ 800W which is known to be a quality PSU (it won a few awards and got [H] seal of approval).

Sorry to hear that. Hope the RMA goes smooth and quicky.

I am dealing directly with NCIX since I bought the video card less than 30 days ago.
I already sent the MIR and I hope that NCIX will not bug me because I cut the serial number from the box...

I inverted the SATA cables between my 2 hard disks 4 days ago and my PC has been booting fine since then.
I am 100% sure that the SATA cables were correctly connected before inverting them.

Any logical explanation???

Sata cables are very tempermental. Look like they are conected and not. The slightest bump can knock them loose.

Had similar issues with a EVGA GTX260 except I don't get the beeps, it just overheats and the pc shuts itself down.

I am dealing directly with NCIX since I bought the video card less than 30 days ago.
I already sent the MIR and I hope that NCIX will not bug me because I cut the serial number from the box...

I see that you are dealing with the vendor directly, but if you are unsuccessful or want a fully tested card from me to ensure that it is working I'd be happy to help.

If you need anything, shoot me a PM with your contact details and I'll make sure you get taken care of.

Yea I RMA'd mine and got one back that does almost exactly what yours did minus the beeping. I tried in a different computer and with a much more powerful PSU and still got the issue. RMA #2 gets back tomorrow. :D

Just out of curiosity do you notice the squealing when you are getting insane frames rates? I notice it in the Crysis start up(usually in the 3000's) and when running ATI Tool. The squealing seems to go away once I start playing. Both the 260 and 280 I have owned made that squealing noise.

That is fucked up, no sane person should put up with that. No squealing on the GTX 260 here, and if the other one I ordered even thinks about squealing I'm kicking it's ass back to the vendor.

Back