Another data “accident” at Facebook

Uploaded to where?

"Those contacts were not shared with anyone and Facebook is deleting them"

If it wasn't shared with anyone then what is the breach?

Man this article is worthless at describing what it is trying to describe.

Uploaded to where?

when signing up for facebook it was pulling all of your email contacts and staring them. So it uploaded from your Gmail or whatever email account to their servers. However it never told you when you signed up or signed in that it was going to steal your contact list.

personally I noticed that many years ago when i signed up for a small amount of time. Suddenly it was suggesting as friends people I had in my contact list from other countries that I had not talked to in almost a decade.

when signing up for facebook it was pulling all of your email contacts and staring them. So it uploaded from your Gmail or whatever email account to their servers. However it never told you when you signed up or signed in that it was going to steal your contact list.

personally I noticed that many years ago when i signed up for a small amount of time. Suddenly it was suggesting as friends people I had in my contact list from other countries that I had not talked to in almost a decade.

How did they have access to the contact list of the email account used for FB? Unless you used the same password on both accounts, just knowing an email address doesn't give you that access.

Uploaded to where?

It's old terminology, but you "upload" from client to server, and "download" from server to client. If they didn't specify where, I would assume it was uploaded to their servers from your client PC.

How did they have access to the contact list of the email account used for FB? Unless you used the same password on both accounts, just knowing an email address doesn't give you that access.

Probably Facebook Mobile app users. I'm sure it demands rights to your contacts during install, most shady apps do.

No surprise here. Less than two weeks ago 146 gigs of Facebook user data, including tens of thousands of passwords, were exposed on Amazon cloud through a Mexico-based server.

When I still used FB, I absolutely refused to use the mobile app. Talk about an invasive bit of software. Not shocked at all that they "Accidentally®" uploaded user email contacts. I'm sure they come out and admit to "Accidentally®" uploading phone contacts in the neat future as well.

When I still used FB, I absolutely refused to use the mobile app. Talk about an invasive bit of software. Not shocked at all that they "Accidentally®" uploaded user email contacts. I'm sure they come out and admit to "Accidentally®" uploading phone contacts in the neat future as well.
Yup. Any browser is able to show a mobile version of their site without issues or necessary permissions.

Same goes for their conveniently separate "Messenger" app, as well as What'sApp (no idea on Instagram but most likely as well).

More bad news from Facebook.

(Update on April 18, 2019 at 7AM PT: Since this post was published, we discovered additional logs of Instagram passwords being stored in a readable format. We now estimate that this issue impacted millions of Instagram users. We will be notifying these users as we did the others. Our investigation has determined that these stored passwords were not internally abused or improperly accessed).

Link --> Facebook Keeping Passwords Secure

this-is-a-velociraptor-free-workplace.jpg

At least they have that going for them....

Too many privacy and spying problems with Facebook. Same with Google. Censorship is happening on a massive level also on all these social media and video platforms. Your security, privacy, and free speech are all being violated at the same time. Who knows what else has been leaked. All those secret recordings and candid photos taken by them could be leaked out someplace also.

It would be a terrible "accident" if I broke my foot off in mark zuckerburg's ass.

Back