Another Crysis underscan thread

Danja

Limp Gawd
I just got a 6950 and I'm pretty disappointed with the way it plays Crysis. It's outputting via HDMI and underscanning the game (and nothing else) on my 1080p TV. With my 4870 I was using a DVI to HDMI adapter and it worked great. With this card I tried to use the same adapter and it gave me a message that it wouldn't carry sound. When I use the HDMI-HDMI cable, it undescans. I expected better from a $300 card. Is there a way to fix this? I looked online and followed directions to uncheck all resolutions in the HDTV Support window in CCC other than 1080p x60 NTSC and that didn't fix it. Anybody with a 6950 here that plays Crysis and could help?

Just set a custom resolution in the CCC to 1920 x 1076 x 60hz and it will work fine. (At least it did for me with my HDTV via HDMI.)

Hopefully that will get you some crysis lovin. (Guess I do not have to ask, "Yes, but does it play crysis? :D ) My card is an HD4890 but it should work the same regardless.

No joy :(. Custom resolution set and it still underscans. Perhaps I will just have to use DVI and try a different audio solution.

Edit: I also have a very strange issue with the card. During the crysis startup screens there is a loud high pitched whirring noise. It started when I put in the new card so I assume it's from that. The noise is at a different frequency for each startup screen and it goes away once it reaches the menu. Any idea what it can be?

I have a Question While I am here for Crysis. I got my 5770 today & I cant get crysis to run Full screen at all. I set my native Res & click full screen & I get 4 black bars around the screen. It wont go fullscreen at all. Not even messing with ALT -Enter. I am connected HDMI on my video card.

The noise your hearing is Coil Whine from your video card. Its common in Crysis & Stalker Menu's & before you ask Coil Whine doesnt mean the card is defective :)

Did that video work for you? I tried earlier today and did exactly as instructed and it didn't change anything for me :(

nope I just tryed everything in that video none of it works. still the black bars grrr. I have been messing with this all day I even reinstalled the game & no luck. I did not try a DVI to HDMI cable tho I could give that a shot

Last edited:
I just tried my DVI to HDMI cable and no joy on that. I think I'll email XFX support; I hear they're pretty good and maybe they'll have an answer. I would email AMD directly but their web site is such a mess that I can't even find the "contact us" email.

I tried the same thing. Didnt work for me either. What drivers are you running? Im running 10.10e

Coil whine's always happened in the Crysis menu. X1900, HD3870, HD4870 and HD4870X2, HD5970 and now HD6970, they've all had it. In game it doesn't happen, it's no issue.
Underscan in games is fairly common with HDMI, I've not found a way to cure it yet, and I ruined my driver install on my server trying to fix this as it turned out I had one of the last drivers before AMD banned windows server outright in their driver code.

I got my Crysis to Finally go fullscreen. I switched to my DVI + HDMI again & went into crysis. I Pressed ALT-ENTER until it went full screen. Took many many times but it finally works now

Edit: Never mind that. When you leave the game it wont stay fullscreen. It reverts back to the underscan crap

Can't blame AMD for this one. Crysis is fucked up like that. For whatever reason, those two games revert to 24p on HDTVs. Your only options are to create a custom res and/or press alt+Enter like mad, as you discovered.

e: I see your problem didn't even have anything to do with being stuck at 24p. Guess the game is even more fucked on HDTVs than I thought. Interesting that the solution is basically the same though.

Wow... what an easy fix. I'm almost laughing at the ridiculousness. Thank you!

Back