• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Another "Crap I bought the wrong thing!" thread...

Dew itt right

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 28, 2005
Messages
3,314
Onkyo TX-SR507 receiver
Samsung BD-P1590 Blu-ray player
Sony DAV-HDZ273 DVD 5.1 Home Theater System

Okay, so I bought the above components (as detailed in THIS thread) and started setting some of it up last night. I quickly realized that the subwoofer included in the Sony set was a passive sub. I've never bought a complete HTIB before so I'm used to seeing the powered sub's included in most 5.1 speaker sets. I ran through the specs this morning and realized that the Onkyo receiver does not have an integrated sub amplifier. So I guess I'm now sitting here with a sub with nothing to power it.

Doing a little homework, it looks like I must either replace the sub with a powered sub or buy a seperate amplifier for it. My initial thought was that it would be much cheaper and easier to just buy a little amp for it but the speaker amps I'm finding are quite expensive! The sub amplifier in the HTIB's receiver that was originally meant to power this sub was a 140W power supply so I assume that would be the ideal size amp to buy. However, my assumptions haven't fared too well lately! Am I looking up the wrong amps or is there a cheaper option I'm missing here?
 
Last edited:
EDIT: Another "OH CRAP!" tidbit I just found.

The speakers for the Sony set are 3 ohm speakers (142W). If you click on the Onkyo link and look at the receiver specs it shows under "Dynamic Power" 180W at 3 ohms. But then under "speaker impedance" it gives the range 6 ohm - 16 ohm. Can I even use these speakers?
 
EDIT: Another "OH CRAP!" tidbit I just found.

The speakers for the Sony set are 3 ohm speakers (142W). If you click on the Onkyo link and look at the receiver specs it shows under "Dynamic Power" 180W at 3 ohms. But then under "speaker impedance" it gives the range 6 ohm - 16 ohm. Can I even use these speakers?

Honestly it would probably be better to return the Sony surround system and go with something else. Since you already have a good reciever you just need to find a 5.1 system within your budget. If you check your original thread I would again suggest something from Energy, Energy or The Speaker Company. There is also this setup which I have not heard much about, but CNET liked it lots. Also be looking for Black Friday Deals on Newegg.

The First Energy Setup would require a purchase of a sub in addition to just the speakers.

If you are looking to keep the speakers purchase a Dayton Sub (see links below) and that will take care of your sub problem.

8" sub
8" sub
10" sub
12" sub
 
Last edited:
I guess I should clarify my main objective here. The only reason I started all this was to get a half-decent A/V receiver to tie all of my entertainment components together. My current speaker setup was a $50 5.1 setup from Wal-mart I got maybe 6 years ago that only had 2-component inputs! And I was satisfied with the sound quality of that cheap system but figured I might as well upgrade the speakers while I'm at it to get a real 5.1 setup for the new receiver. So obviously sound quality isn't a concern of mine. I didn't want to spend any more than $100-$150 for the 5 speakers and sub so your recommendations are out of my meager price range. All I want to know now is (A) can I use the 3 ohm speakers without overheating my receiver and (B) whats the cheapest way to fix my sub issue?
 
(A) can I use the 3 ohm speakers without overheating my receiver?

I would call either Onkyo or Sony tech support and ask that question. I am not an expert on ohms loading (all my equipment is rated to go down to 4 ohms, but I purchased 8 ohm speakers)

(B) whats the cheapest way to fix my sub issue?

Your options are to purchase a powered sub (my suggestion) like this or these, or a amp to power it. Parts Express has amps from Dayton that *might/should* work (example here). Once again this is something I would research a bit more as this topic is not my strong suit (AVSFORUMS would have tons of info on this).
 
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd return the sony package and get the following for $200 shipped. I know that's more than what you wanted to spend, but it's worth the extra $50.

http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx+++++++Froogle&sku=ONKSKSHT540B

Wow, very good find! That will solve both of my problems and looks like the cheapest solution. I just got off the phone with J & R and it looks like they'll do a full refund with no restocking fee so all I'm out is the return shipping. Heading over to pick up the Onkyo set now. Thanks a million...
 
NP, I have that set hooked up to my onkyo 606, and while it doesn't present anywhere near the SQ of more expensive sets, I think it sounds outstanding for the price. I'd liken it to the JVC HA-RX700's for a good audio analogy.
 
Back
Top