• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Another Card Reader Fails To Work

deadman_uk

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 30, 2003
Messages
2,036
I purchased a £5 unbranded card reader from eBuyer last year which worked fine. It plugged into the USB header of my motherboard. When I upgraded my PC (including motherboard) and reinstalled Windows 7 fresh, I could not get the card reader to work. The USB function worked but the actual card reading ability failed to function. Device manager tells me it's a driver issue. eBuyerwere unhelpful and said this card reader isn't supported in Windows 7, so there is nothing they can do.

I decided to purcahse a more expensive card reader from Overclockers.co.uk. This time, I wanted it to be a well known brand so I selected this Akasa card reader (which is Windows 7 compatible) The Akasa product page is here. This card reader only requires connection to the motherboard via USB header (like my previous card reader). It lights up but windows cannot find a driver for it. The manual says it will work out of the box for all functions with exception of the smart card and SIM reader.

I've visited Akasa website and downloaded the latest drivers to see if that helps but it doesn't do anything, just installs the SIM edit software. I have also installed from the mini-disc but again, all it appears to do is install the SIM edit software. I've been to device manager and changed the unknown device to "USB Composite" but this has not helped, I still get a yellow exclamation mark. I've also gone to Windows update but it didn't help. Furthermore, I have plugged the card reader into another USB header but again, this has not helped.

Now two card readers have failed to work so I am wondering if it's something to do with the UEFI settings? My motherboard is an Asrock Z68 Extreme4
 
UPDATE:

I installed chipset drivers after installing windows but just to make sure, I visited the Asrock website and downloaded the latest version. I also installed Intel Management Engine Components (because it removes a yellow exclamaton mark in device manager called "PCI Simple Communications Controller" This did not help.

Now my PC wouldn't boot up, it just sits there on the Asrock splash screen (F2 or DEL to enter UEFI Setup, F6 for Instant Flash, F11 for boot menu etc). Pressing any of these did nothing, the splash screen still remained. Pressing tab, changes the screen to black with the words "The current version of Intel ME Firmware is 7.1.10.1065, backup is 7.1.10.1065" but it just sits there and does nothing. Pressing F2 or DEL brings up the words "Entering Setup..." but again, it just sits there. Sometimes if I wait long enough, the UEFI will load but this is rare.

After numerous reboots and waiting, this screen finally did go away and Windows loaded. It's from there where I pulled out the card reader from the motherboards USB header. I then went into device manager (via the SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1 cmd) and removed all traces of the card reader. I inserted the card reader back into the slot while Windows was on and finally it detected my card reader fine. I tried loading an SD card and it worked. Now another problem... when I reboot, I get the Asrock splash screen again, it just sits there all the time. Pressing tab, changes the screen to black with the words "The current version of Intel ME Firmware is 7.1.10.1065, backup is 7.1.10.1065" but it just sits there like before. If I unplug the card reader and reboot, then the Asrock splash screen goes away within 3 seconds and the PC begins to POST and load Windows. I can reboot over and over and it always boots fine, but when I plug in the card reader within Widows, it installs fine but when I reboot, again I am stuck on the Asrock splash screen.

Now my new card reader is unplugged until I can get this sorted. Please help someone!
 
Last edited:
I just fixed my card reader. I disabled “Legacy USB Support” in the UEFI (BIOS) and it now lets me boot my PC and load Windows!
 
Congratulations!

I had read your prior posts (but didn't have anything substantive to offer); admired your perseverance though.

This scenario is proof that "hard work pays off in the end". (But, remember, "laziness pays off NOW".:))

I'm filing this one; it sounds like something that'll bite me in the future.

--UhClem
 
Congratulations!

I had read your prior posts (but didn't have anything substantive to offer); admired your perseverance though.

This scenario is proof that "hard work pays off in the end". (But, remember, "laziness pays off NOW".:))

I'm filing this one; it sounds like something that'll bite me in the future.

--UhClem

lol, an amusing reply. Yes, hopefully this thread will help others in the future with their internal USB devices!
 
Back
Top