Another 980 ti or new cpu?

mikem3971

n00b
I currently have an I5 3570k overclocked to 4.5 ghz with a gtx 980 ti.I was wondering if in my situation what would you do get another 980 ti for sli or maybe get one of the new skylake processors?I would be looking at a 6600k.I get mixed reactions when it comes to this but i wanted to come to a forum that know what there talking about and can tell me the pros and cons of either direction i go.I guess when it comes down to it im asking if the 6600k is worth it to upgrade to over the 3570k?I asked this question on toms hardware but to be honest they dont seem to know to much they seem to be alot of people that dont even own a pc trying to give advice.Anyone that has owned a i5 3570k or equivalent cpu that upgraded to a 6600k please share your experience.

I would also like to know if another 980 ti mighy be bottle necked by my cpu thanks in advance

I upgraded from 3770k @ 4.5ghz to 6700k at 4.7ghz and saw barely any difference. Most games made no difference, however I got about 10 fps in The Witcher 3 (which is a lot since I game at 4k, 42 > 52).
It depends on what resolution you game. For 1080p, upgrade your processor, for 1440, might wanna get a second opinion, but I say stay with a single 980Ti. If you're gaming at 4k then what are you still doing with a single 980Ti? ;)

I think, first you need to tell us what resolution are you running your card actually so we can give you a better advice... in first instance I would like you to see the video below it will give you an exactly point of what kind of performance upgrade you will receive by upgrading from your chip to a 6600K, which I don't advice btw, if you are switching platform go straight to a 6700K as in many new tittles even a high oc'd 6600K will be pegged the 4 cores at 100% causing stuttering and lower performance.

So well as you can see here, the upgrade from your actual ivy bridge platform to skylake will be really noticeable and will be likely increased by going to 980TI SLI configuration, you will receive a nice boost in performance but honestly in my opinion it will not worth by using that CPU.. in your position I would upgrade the entire platform first if you are at 2560x1440 and/or below.

Im probably going to be back and forth between 2560x1440 and 4k.Would you recommend the 5820k over the 6700k? was also thinking about going 6 core

Yeah there is ZERO logic in upgrading to a whole new platform and going with an i5 again. As Araxie said you will be pegging any i5 in some games if you are not gpu limited. I have tested this myself by turning off HT in the BIOS and testing games. Several games fully pegged my cpu with HT off and cause some hitching plus there was no cpu left left for anything in the background. This nonsense of not needing more than an i5 that some people still cling to needs to stop.

Im probably going to be back and forth between 2560x1440 and 4k.Would you recommend the 5820k over the 6700k? was also thinking about going 6 core
6700k and 16gb of fast ram is the best setup for gaming. Worry about getting a 6 core or better in a couple years.

Hmm, if you're going 4k resolution a single 980Ti will struggle in newer (demanding) titles. It is however playable in all games. It just depends what your preferences are. I'm no FPS freak, I don't need more than 60 frames, but I must max out the visual quality in my games.

Going from an older i5 to a newest i7 is definitely going to show improvement. But at 4k, I'm not sure if it's going to show as much improvement as a second 980Ti.

I would wait for 1080ti. Always go for single best card. Dual gpu is hit and miss.

If you get a skylake, make sure to buy a z170 board and some DDR4 3000.

no difference after 2400mhz. I was going to go 3200 and it wasn't even that much more I decided to save the 20 bucks. Seen 2 or 3 reviews that basically saw absolutely no return on investment after 2400, very minimal.

no difference after 2400mhz. I was going to go 3200 and it wasn't even that much more I decided to save the 20 bucks. Seen 2 or 3 reviews that basically saw absolutely no return on investment after 2400, very minimal.
And where are these reviews? You are the first person I have seem proclaim such a thing as its pretty common knowledge that faster memory does indeed help on Skylake. Digitalfoundry and Techspot most certainly saw benefits even going to 3000 and well beyond.

DDR4 Memory at 4000 MT/s, Does It Make a Difference?

And where are these reviews? You are the first person I have seem proclaim such a thing as its pretty common knowledge that faster memory does indeed help on Skylake. Digitalfoundry and Techspot most certainly saw benefits even going to 3000 and well beyond.

Gaming on DDR4 Memory: 2133 vs 2666/3200MHz & 8GB vs 16GB | The Tech Buyer's Guru
RAMing speed: Does boosting DDR4 to 3200MHz improve overall performance? | ExtremeTech
DDR4 Memory Scaling on Intel Z170 - Finding The Best DDR4 Memory Kit Speed - Page 5 of 6 - Legit Reviews

plenty like this one out there. When you are gaining fricking 10 fps from just memory upgrade I call bullshit on that. May be everyone just forget about gpu and upgrade their cpu and ram and gain speed. I did look at that review and went researching other places almost everyone came up with my conclusion that most reviews said there was little to no difference may be 1-2fps going from 2133 to 3200. The above review tested alot of games as well.

look at the graps on those reviews. After reading those and I am sure I can find a few more I didn't believe that link you posted because I read that one too. I called shenanigans on that quickly.

I am sure those will do! Cheers.

Last edited:
Going skylake isn't much of an upgrade. I mean you obviously feel the itch but if you really expect any gains you're delusional.

I have way better gaming performance at a moderated speed but with very tight timings instead of high speed with increased timings, at 2666mhz 10-12-12-28 1T I have much better overall performance than my old kit at 3600mhz 17-19-19-39 1T..

Going skylake isn't much of an upgrade. I mean you obviously feel the itch but if you really expect any gains you're delusional.

you have no freaking idea of what are you talking about, didn't you even watched the video I posted above?.

Yes, I checked the video. Current GTA being CPU limited is hardly news.

Funny thing is that video just proves what's been known for a long while - CPU doesn't matter. Look how close the AMD offerings are to the competition.

Yes, I checked the video. Current GTA being CPU limited is hardly news.

Funny thing is that video just proves what's been known for a long while - CPU doesn't matter. Look how close the AMD offerings are to the competition.
The 6600k did perform significantly better. It does cost $70 more.
it was interesting to see AMD's Vishera doing so well, compared to Haswell and Ivy Bridge i5's. It shows how decent multi-thread code, can help with performance. The game code itself, but also Nvidia's drivers.

We can also see that in better API's, like Mantle, Vulkan, DX12. I had a 15+ fps gain in my average FPS in BF4 multiplayer, with Mantle. Using an AMD Phenom II X6 (an old CPU!!) and a 7870 GPU.

Last edited:
You're willing to ignore the video when it goes against your own arguments. Not much left to say to you, really.

But you know what? 6700 IS THE BEST. You should marry it

I can't believe how much money people waste for an extra 5% performance. Is the difference between those two processors really gonna change a playable resolution on same gpu? His cpu is already at 4.5 ghz.....
You know what, go ahead and buy another cpu since I am an intel shareholder.... Thanks for the profit

Guys no need to argue i just asked a simple question.However ive decided im going with a 5820k as ive done alot of research on this and the 5820k to me is the best cpu you can get for the money right now,Ive seen a big fps increase in certain situations over the 6700k so in some games the 2 extra cores actually help alot and this tells me soon alot more games will be coming out that 4 cores will somewhat struggle in.

I can't believe how much money people waste for an extra 5% performance. Is the difference between those two processors really gonna change a playable resolution on same gpu? His cpu is already at 4.5 ghz.....
You know what, go ahead and buy another cpu since I am an intel shareholder.... Thanks for the profit

uhh a 6700k alot more then 5% faster then a 3570k

If you're going with a 4k screen you are way better off getting another GPU. But I would sell your 980ti and wait for the 1080ti

Last edited:
What memory speed you running? I was running ddr3 1333mhz, and upgraded to 2400mhz and I got some boost on some games. Especially games with the frostbite engine.

What memory speed you running? I was running ddr3 1333mhz, and upgraded to 2400mhz and I got some boost on some games. Especially games with the frostbite engine.
i got memory running at 2133 mhz
"uhh a 6700k alot more then 5% faster then a 3570k"

See link for second opinion on that...
if primary focus is gaming its not worth it because the 3570k is strong enough for even a gtx 1080 when oc to 4.5ghz
If you run cpu intensive tasks other than gaming it might be worth it then

So still no need to upgrade from 3570k to 6700k for gaming? • /r/pcmasterrace

well considering my 3570k runs at close to 100 percent usage compared to 40-50 percent usage for the same fps with a 6700k id say its a worthy upgrade however im going to a 5820k

well considering my 3570k runs at close to 100 percent usage compared to 40-50 percent usage for the same fps with a 6700k id say its a worthy upgrade however im going to a 5820k
That's because of hyperthreading which most games don't use.

IDK what kind of games you play.. but clearly nothing new since 3 years ago up to the present.. =)

Are you telling me since the year I've been away games are using Hyperthreading now?

Last edited:
So that's your base to say most games doesn't use hyper-threading? because that choice of games are coincidentally games that scale A LOT with a lot of threads..

Guys no need to argue i just asked a simple question.However ive decided im going with a 5820k as ive done alot of research on this and the 5820k to me is the best cpu you can get for the money right now,Ive seen a big fps increase in certain situations over the 6700k so in some games the 2 extra cores actually help alot and this tells me soon alot more games will be coming out that 4 cores will somewhat struggle in.
Wise choice....And that 5820 can and will do heavy cpu chores very fast unlike your old i5...handbrake and like jobs will be 3 times as fast! Plus its nice to have extra cpu horsepower for running stuff in the background while playing. You already have a very decent video card anyways

So that's your base to say most games doesn't use hyper-threading? because that choice of games are coincidentally games that scale A LOT with a lot of threads..
It's been a known fact for years that most games don't use hyperthreading. So if something has changed on a massive scale, then provide some evidence.

I've always left HT on just because it helps the system as whole run smoother.

It's been a known fact for years that most games don't use hyperthreading. So if something has changed on a massive scale, then provide some evidence.

As you have an HT capable CPU do your homework yourself by first hand experience because nothing is better than experience that changes by your own, then test Crysis 3, Watch Dogs, Hitman both new and absolution, Shadow of Mordor, Dragon Age Inquisition, GTA V, The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Battlefield 4 and a large of ETC games, I think most tittles on the last 2 years do a good use of HyperThreading not only to achieve higher minimum and more stable average performance but also a much more smooth experience where most of i5 even overclocked will be pegged at over 90% of usage..

I think one of the more sensitive games to test this is Crysis 3 and Rise of the Tomb Raider. so yes, things have changed A LOT in the last couple of years...

Update this is going to sound weird but i actually upgraded from a 3570k and went with an older cpu in the 3930k. I got a 3930k used for $150 and a good motherboard will cost me around $300 and can resuse the memory i got so not out any money on having to buy new ram either.So i saved a few hundred going this route on top of ill get around $250 for my cpu and motherboard when i sell.I got my 6 core cpu for a good price and dont see a huge difference between a 3930k and a 5930k as far as gaming goes maybe 10 percent in some games.Another reason i want the 6 core is because from what ive read its alot harder for a gpu to bottleneck a 6 core processor.Anyone with a 3930k that still uses one today?

Update this is going to sound weird but i actually upgraded from a 3570k and went with an older cpu in the 3930k. I got a 3930k used for $150 and a good motherboard will cost me around $300 and can resuse the memory i got so not out any money on having to buy new ram either.So i saved a few hundred going this route on top of ill get around $250 for my cpu and motherboard when i sell.I got my 6 core cpu for a good price and dont see a huge difference between a 3930k and a 5930k as far as gaming goes maybe 10 percent in some games.Another reason i want the 6 core is because from what ive read its alot harder for a gpu to bottleneck a 6 core processor.Anyone with a 3930k that still uses one today?

that's actually a great chip indeed... I have couple of those chips and they overclock amazingly. is no strange with a good cooler to see those chips in the range of 4.8 - 5ghz.. if you achieve anywhere near that speed you will still have horsepower for years.. great buy..

Why not ask about the CPU in the Intel subforum here before you buy the wrong thing? I think there is a cheap 8 core Xeon that can probably plug into your new motherboard. They can even help you choose the best motherboard for your new processor.

Back