Another 771 2p system for cost of shipping

bigted

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - Oct. 2013
This has been spoken for and shipped!

Giving away a dual Xeon setup for cost of shipping ($35). Got this one for free from brilong, so I'm passing it on. Must fold with it and must keep parts together. If you find you don't use it anymore, pass it on!

Parts
2 Xeon L5410 2.33ghz CPUs, bsel mod to 2.8ghz
Supermicro x7dwn+ motherboard
32gbs fb-dimms, 16x2gb sticks
2 2u passive copper heatsinks

PM me your folding creds and we'll talk

also want to note the heatsinks are held on with proper size nuts, not a typical setup, but it works

PS if you want the 500gb drive, I can throw it in for a little extra, has ubuntu 12.04 and musky install done already, you would just have to change config to your info

Last edited:
naked? Rough power draw? How muc heat does that bad boy put out ?

naked? Rough power draw? How muc heat does that bad boy put out ?

naked, no case/psu/dvd. cpus are 50w max tdp each, don't have a power estimate, i hear each dimm can chew up 10-15w each, i have been running it at 16gb, but am including all 32gb. hottest part of the setup is the ram. don't know how to get the temps for the chips on ubuntu as tpc is amd only.

Wow do we have a great team or what? How awesome is it that we have a "team rig" that we pass from one user to the next?

I'd take it off your hands but I would feel bad doing it. I don't really "need" the extra ppd since I'm about to have four 4p systems running bigadv :)

Wow do we have a great team or what? How awesome is it that we have a "team rig" that we pass from one user to the next?

I'd take it off your hands but I would feel bad doing it. I don't really "need" the extra ppd since I'm about to have four 4p systems running bigadv :)

just returning the favor brilong did for me, just got a second 4p F machine up and needed the space

Pm sent, this is perfect as my folding rig has been on the fritz and ive been wanting to try a multiproc system for a while

Nice, I've got the other 771 system that he posted up and running 24/7 crunching SMP's now. Had to custom wire the LED's and buttons on the front of the 2U case to make it rack mountable again, but she's doing well and back to folding for the [H]orde!

Kudos to BigTed for his generosity and teamwork!
thumbsup.gif

Pm sent, this is perfect as my folding rig has been on the fritz and ive been wanting to try a multiproc system for a while

1st to pm, pm'd you back

Nice, I've got the other 771 system that he posted up and running 24/7 crunching SMP's now. Had to custom wire the LED's and buttons on the front of the 2U case to make it rack mountable again, but she's doing well and back to folding for the [H]orde!

Kudos to BigTed for his generosity and teamwork!
thumbsup.gif

what's your ppd looking like? documentation on that board was lacking, glad you got it all set up with the case. i never did run it in a case, so happy to hear it worked out.

what's your ppd looking like? documentation on that board was lacking, glad you got it all set up with the case. i never did run it in a case, so happy to hear it worked out.

I'm running Linux Mint 64bit on it. It's picked up nothing but 6940's since I put it in service, so I'm getting about 13,600 PPD on those. Not much compared to these monster 4P's that others have, but every little bit helps. I actually run three other 2P 771 setups as well, but they aren't dedicated to F@H exclusively like this one as they host web pages and DB stuff on them.

EDIT: Picked up a 6099 about 1/2 hour ago, and it looks like I'm going to get about 15,800 or so PPD on that WU. Initially running 10 minute 30 sec. frames with that one.

Robert

Last edited:
getting about 16.5kppd on this one, they do run hot

2jwikx.jpg

whoever takes bigteds, I will throw in a 2u screamer PSU that will run it if needed

Last edited:
86_5.0L got it, should have it today.

16.5k ppd? is that with BSEL mod? digging the instructions to get fah running, and the lack of shame posting such a dusty board! no shame in jojo's game :D

Ummm...what the hell lol....

it's the exact same setup, brilong gave away two sets, first one to jojo, then one to me. jojo got a 2u PSU to use, but replaced it with the one in the pic because it was loud, nothing wrong with it, just really loud since it is a server psu.

Ummm...what the hell lol....

what? geez, a little respect for someone you are about to mow eh' ;)

hmmmmm HFM says 19.7kppd today, I actually think that is more like it, yeah the flash really brings out the dust, where it is you can't really see it that well

All i can think of is poor poor Gentle Typhoon ;(

bump for a nice giveaway though

oh, you don't even know, that particular AP15 i smoked experimenting with overvoltage, had to tear it apart and replace a zener diode inside, so its got no sticker on the back either. The system would throw an audible thermal alarm before I propped that fan up there.

oh, you don't even know, that particular AP15 i smoked experimenting with overvoltage, had to tear it apart and replace a zener diode inside, so its got no sticker on the back either. The system would throw an audible thermal alarm before I propped that fan up there.

man that sucks, i noticed that those SM heatsinks were underpowered compared to the 2U copper bricks that i put on mine, all i needed was a 120mm 1,000rpm fan for both cpus plus a 120 for the rams.

I just remoted into the one I got from Bigted and it's currently running a 6098 at 10:29 per frame. I think that equates to about 15,890k PPD per day. Crap, maybe I should remove it from the 2U chassis and throw some dirt and dust on it to make it run faster! :D

I just remoted into the one I got from Bigted and it's currently running a 6098 at 10:29 per frame. I think that equates to about 15,890k PPD per day. Crap, maybe I should remove it from the 2U chassis and throw some dirt and dust on it to make it run faster! :D

unfortunately, that one won't be as quick as these other ones since it cannot be BSEL modded to 2.8ghz, so you are stuck at 2.33ghz and ~16k is damn good for that machine.

you could always try dust though :)

you done the BSEL tape mod on it Ax?

can't on that board, it's only s5000 chipset, 1333mhz FSB max. only way to bsel is with different CPUs that are 1066 fsb and up them to 1333

oh, well hey, I can box you up some of this special folding dust

unfortunately, that one won't be as quick as these other ones since it cannot be BSEL modded to 2.8ghz, so you are stuck at 2.33ghz and ~16k is damn good for that machine.

you could always try dust though :)

oh, well hey, I can box you up some of this special folding dust

Hey I'm in! ;) A little magic folding dust never hurts!

well cool, I am pretty sure this is the source, the chickens developed it as a dust bath, then the cat figures it is an awesome sandbox, after which she comes and hangs out in front of the computer.

2ymesf8.jpg

Axdrenalin gets his for cost of shipping, what do you guys figure the stuff is worth?

Axdrenalin gets his for cost of shipping, what do you guys figure the stuff is worth?

Only if the chicken comes with it. Otherwise, I've got tons of this stuff all over the place on the in-laws farm! ;)

so what kind of PSU can I use with this thing? will I need to pick up adapter cables? what can of wattage? 500w, 600w?

it needs the full 12 pins of CPU power, I have a loud 2U unit you can have if you want

Back