Another 2.x speaker thread

alexik01

n00b
Joined
Jun 7, 2004
Messages
55
So I'm looking for some new computer/multimedia speakers (obviously). Previously I had the klipsch promedia 2.1, but I'm giving them to my dad to use on a computer in his shop. Thought they were pretty good, but I'm looking form something better that will last me a long time.

These will be mostly for music but also movies (24" screen) and some games (though they'll have to deal with whatever I get). I want bass, good bass, but not necessarily loud bass.

A few of the options I've been looking at are:

Swan M10
~$110
Lots of praise recently, but center sub could be annoying. Not sure how much better than the klipsch they would be.

Audioengine A2
~$200
Good reviews, but not sure about the bass/volume. Are they really worth twice what the Swans cost?

T-amp with Infinity P152 or other bookshelf speakers.
~$50+$140
Probably the best sounding of the bunch, but rather large for computer speakers. Is the T-amp up to the challenge?

Audioengine 5 are probably too expensive and the P162 are probably too big. Though it's possible I could be convinced otherwise. I'm open to suggestions.

Searching the forums has lots of people recommending the A2s and M10s and T-amps, but not so much comparison between them. Especially comparing sound/cost/size all together.

PS. Thanks for putting up with another recommendation thread
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You get what you pay for with speakers up to about $500 each. There are 'some' diminishing returns after that mark. A lot of people don't realize it because either

1) Their sound card sucks (on board)
2) Their source material sucks (low bit rate mp3's)
3) They've never heard good speakers

Some people don't put as much premium on sound though. But people saying $100 speakers is fine is almost the equivalent of someone with a 27" CRT from 10 years ago and saying 'What do I need High Def for, my TV looks just fine."

Many speaker companies/retailers offer 30 day money back guarantees, some even with free shipping BOTH ways. I bought my A5's assuming I'd return them, but it was a night and day upgrade over a 2.1 logitech that I kept them. A door was opened and now I'm trying out a $2000 Aperion Speaker system for my Home Theater (I was using a crappy Onkyo HTIB)...
 
Infinity P152 specs say +/- 3dB. Ouch.

You know for movies and games I wonder if you wouldn't better enjoy a cheap HTIB (e.g. a refurb Onkyo system ~$329). Going stereo only with small mains is really a huge compromise, especially if that's all you've got for a long time. If I had $350 max to play with, that's probably what I'd be looking at.
 
Mostly for music? T-amp. No ? at all. For the $$ it will give you the best possible definition. You can actually pick up some better speakers on audiogon for less than the Infinity. Hell, want my T-amp speaker combo? It will kick the crap out of anything you can get at BB lol. I can't use it atm b/c of my wife so...
 
You can put the Swans sub on the floor and it still sounds great. You will definitely still be able to feel the bass. Unlike Logitech or Klipsch setups, the bass isn't boomy but rather "punchy". It's not like an omnipotent bass surrounding you while it shakes your house. It's accurate.

At first, the bass sounds loose as if it's "flapping" or something. After a day or so, it tightens up and is pretty clean. You might want to check out the Swans M12. The Audio Insider just put them up. They seem to be exactly like the M10s except with lower bass frequency response and jack inputs (as well as bass AND possibly treble knobs?) They are 140 and might be something worth looking into since you get a 30 day trial period.
 
Thanks guys, I decided to go with the T-amp and P152s from amazon resellers for $170 shipped. Checking sterophile.com for the P150, P162, and the Audioengine A2 basically says that the P152 will be slightly better than the A2 in all respects and that the price and size increase of the P162 wouldn't be worth it for me.

wildfire99 said:
Infinity P152 specs say +/- 3dB. Ouch.
I believe this is the industry standard, it's when they don't list +/- that you should worry. I should have said I have no interest in surround sound.

The Swans M12 looks so much worse than the M10. I think I'd be disappointed in them for that reason.

I have a Chaintech AV710 soundcard which was praised for its stereo output when I bought it. The lowest quality music I have is 192kbps CBR.

Again, thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to post my impressions when I get them. :D
 
You get what you pay for with speakers up to about $500 each. There are 'some' diminishing returns after that mark. A lot of people don't realize it because either

1) Their sound card sucks (on board)
2) Their source material sucks (low bit rate mp3's)
3) They've never heard good speakers

Some people don't put as much premium on sound though. But people saying $100 speakers is fine is almost the equivalent of someone with a 27" CRT from 10 years ago and saying 'What do I need High Def for, my TV looks just fine."

QFT - couldn't have said that better. But remember, ignorance is bliss if you like your moniez!!!!!
Don't go over to the dark side!! :eek:
 
Back
Top