• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Another 2.0/2.1 advice thread

Vindicis

n00b
Joined
Sep 16, 2005
Messages
62
Sorry to start another one of these threads but I'm in indecision limbo. I just sold my Logitech Z-5500's (yeah, I was one of those guys before getting educated) and now I'm in the market for a $150 2.0/2.1 setup. Here's the deal, I want the setup for gaming and nothing else. I don't listen to music, don't watch movies, nothing but game on this particular setup. I've been toying with a few options, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, Swan M10, Swan D1010MkII 08, and M-Audio AV40. I just can't make up my mind and need some nudging. I am NOT an audiophile as you can tell but I do want to try to get something that sounds better then the Z-5500's I had. I've seen lot's of threads for music lovers but what about for a gamer (no, I don't want the Logitech 2.1's, no more HUGE subs). My sound card is a Creative X-Fi Fatality if that factors into the equation at all. Any advice would be super!
 
well ill vouch for the m10, 1080k, and the AV40 these are all good in terms of SQ
 
What do you mean huge? As in the sound is bloated, or a physically large device? The promedia's sub isn't much smaller I don't think. But whether or not you want to keep your bass impact is important. The promedias will have more bass than the swans and AV40s.
 
Huge as in over powering bass, sorry that wasn't clear. Space isn't really an issue but I just don't think I need ludicrous amounts of bass anymore.
 
If you are using it strictly for gaming, wouldnt the Z5500 be the ideal speakers?

I know Logitech sucks for music but it's pretty good for gaming
 
I got rid of the Z-5500s because my office layout doesn't let me setup the speakers properly. I have no place at all to put the rear speakers and the center placement wasn't exactly optimal. I ended up putting the rear speakers on top of my desk cabinet which is pretty much the biggest waste of a 5.1 setup on earth. If Logitech is the best I'm going to get for gaming, I'll just buy a Z263/Z2300. I was really hoping to step up in sound quality from the Logitechs.
 
get the m10's and be done with it. it has a small dedicated "middle woofer" notice how i say middle cuz that sub cannot go that low. and two satellites which reproduce those highs pretty darn good. I personally have the AV40's which i think has PLENTY of bass, specially when you flick the bass boost button on i mean like it sounds like you have a dedicated sub when you crank up the volume
 
Why do you advise the M10's over the AV40s? It sounds like you like the AV40s better. I've read about issue with the amp getting very hot, have you experienced that?
 
yeah the AV40's amp do get hot thats why i have a mini fan behind mine when i use them for long periods of time. i havent auditioned the M10s but it supposedly has more bass than the AV40.
 
Do not buy the m10.
The electronics in the amp are not well built or designed. The set i got for christmas did not make it through january before they stopped working correctly.
Build quality sucks.
There is no sub woofer with the m10, only a mid bass driver and 2 front speakers.
 
I absolutely love my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, working great for over 5 years now. For me they have the perfect amount of bass for everything.
 
Back
Top