Another 1st time WC support thread

oneil

Limp Gawd
It's amazing how much reading one can do when poking around these forums!

Before I get started on descriptions and such, I'll introduce myself - since I'm rather new around here. I'm a 19 yr old canadian student in a networking degree. My computer usage is excessive but not to the point when I leave my box on 24/7. Last boxing day I bought a refurbished HP from Future Shop for 800$ [specs below] as well as a BFG 6600GTOC for 120$.. Since then, I've changed case to an X-Dreamer II and have upgraded PSU.

Essentially, I'm looking to water cool because the new case is a lot louder than my previous ones and since I still live at home, my family complains when it's on until the late hours of the night.. As well, the lack of AC in my room/house causes my case to run at an uncomfortable 92-95F.

Now to the actual specs...
Aspire X-Dreamer II
AMD 3500+ @ 2.2
1x 250G Maxtor + 1x 250G Seagate (one is SATA, the other isint)
BFGTech 6600GT OC (600/1290)
1.5G PC2300 RAM
Soundblaster Audigy 4
Thermaltake PurePower 480W Butterfly (looking to replace it with Power Maxx 520W)

I've been doing a bit of research into actual WC mechanics, parts and manufacturers. I've come to reaslise a few things:

1) I wont be able to buy the parts locally
2) Ordering parts in Canada is my only option (budget is too tight to be shipping from US+)
3) Seems buying parts vs. kits in Canada is more expensive overall

Therefore, I've set my mind on the Swiftech H20-120 and will look into adding a VGA block since my vcard is running like a beast...

That seems to be it for now, I have to get back to work :p

Is my choice of kit a good one? I've read plenty of good reviews about the Swiftech kit.
Are there any good retailers in Canada? ncix seems to be my main one...
While we're on the subject of tips, is the Power Maxx 520W a good replacement for my Thermaltake? The problem I'm having is the vcard isint getting enough power when I run demanding games...

- oneil

I'll post pics of my box tonight, when I get back home from work.

EDIT: Here are the pics :)

dsc003221pn.jpg

dsc003248cm.jpg

dsc003187fy.jpg

Perhaps you could ease your price/shipping problems by looking around on the FS/FT forums here on [H]. That way you could build a custom loop without having to shell out as much cash.

Either I'm not used to recognising WC parts in the FS/T forum, but it seems all I've found arent that big of a saving, and are all used. Wouldnt I be better to spend the few dollars more and order new?

My budget is forgiving but I'm not out to spend my way out of school :p

Also, considering the heat my hardware produces, would a 1x120mm rad be underkill? With the pics I'll post a little later you'll see I dont really have the room for a dual 120mm inside the case (I'm going for internal).

Good luck buddy.... I'm putting my first loop as well I will say 85% done... here is my link in case you are interested... also I'm using a single rad... I think will always be better than my old air solution ;)

Please keep us posted with pics :p

My Loop

Diesel: That kit looks like exactly what I need, was it pre-assembled? You thank Petra for it, just curious what the dealio was with it :)

Would I be better to successfully set up my CPU loop and add the VGA block afterwards or do it all at once? I'm asking because if it's too hard for a newbie to tear apart and re-assemble I'd do it in one go :p

oneil said:
Diesel: That kit looks like exactly what I need, was it pre-assembled? You thank Petra for it, just curious what the dealio was with it :)

Would I be better to successfully set up my CPU loop and add the VGA block afterwards or do it all at once? I'm asking because if it's too hard for a newbie to tear apart and re-assemble I'd do it in one go :p

Actually I'm making my own loop... and bought all the parts based on months of research and what my pocket could handle ($300).

I bought all the parts at Petra's since it had all the parts I was looking for. Also for the great reviews they had plus I rather keep all in one bill.

I'm very happy as first time and future customer of Petra's. Things went great for me... I know there are also other good stores but I even got the 7/16 tubing Mastercleer I wanted. ;) also I keep joking cause Petra's sent me an ink pen ;)

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/11-144-026-39.jpg

With the help of PTS, I've narrowed down the list of parts to the following:

AquaExtreme IceFloe: 41.99
Danger Den Low Profile Maze4: 44.95
BIP II: 33.99
Yate Loon D12SL-12 (2): 11.90
Swiftech MCP655: 74.99
DD Bay Res: 17.99 [considering going with a T-line instead - save 14$]
7/16” ID Masterkleer (10 ft): 4.90
½” OD Y-Fitting (2): 5.50
PTS “Gel-Stuff”: 3.99
Hose Clamps (12): 12.00
Swiftech Hydrx: 2.99

Here's what I'm lookin at right now, in terms of layout:
layoutxo9.jpg

With the radiator in that position, I can see a problem using the Y paths being the tubes will be much shorter and harder to maneuvre... Should I just go with
pump > rad > cpu > gpu > pump?

You'll notice in the parts list above, the listed rad is the BIP II with 2x120mm fans. I dont have the room in my case for two 120mm fans. Are there any alternatives to drilling holes in the top of the case to screw in the rad [outside] or could I wedge the rad+fans between the front and 3.5" trays at the front (see pic)?

I'm making a fuss about this because I'd rather not have to drill into my case, and if I cant find a working alternative I'll have to switch to the BIP 1 with the single 120mm at 15$ more :(

No "Y" in loop. Water will take the path of least resistance and bypass the more restrictive block.

Thanks for clearing that up: no Y-split

AquaExtreme IceFloe: 41.99
Danger Den Low Profile Maze4: 44.95
Black Ice Xtreme: 44.99 <--- single fan rad to put on my single 120mm opening on the back
Yate Loon D12SL-12 (1): 5.85
Swiftech MCP655: 74.99
1/2" DD T-Filling: 1.99 <-- Any extra parts to finish the T-line?
7/16" ID Masterkleer (10 ft): 4.90
½" OD Y-Fitting (2): 5.50
PTS "Gel-Stuff": 3.99
Hose Clamps (10): 10.00
Swiftech Hydrx: 2.99 <---- Do they make this in blue?

Subtotal: 242.14

Get a Black Ice Pro or a Black Ice GTS120 instead of the extreme. You will see better performance at a cheaper cost. The extreme is only good if you are using 100CFM or greater fans.

Also the inlet on the pump is the horizontal one in the middle, and you want your T-Line to be right before that in the loop. You currently have the T-Line right after the outlet in your proposed setup which is pretty much just about the worst place you could put it.

Erasmus354 said:
Get a Black Ice Pro or a Black Ice GTS120 instead of the extreme. You will see better performance at a cheaper cost. The extreme is only good if you are using 100CFM or greater fans.

Also the inlet on the pump is the horizontal one in the middle, and you want your T-Line to be right before that in the loop. You currently have the T-Line right after the outlet in your proposed setup which is pretty much just about the worst place you could put it.

I knew the T-Line had to be placed at the inlet of the pump, I just didnt know which was which on that particular pump :)

Regarding the radiator, I chose the extreme because it apparently pumps out more heat than the Pro (3000BTU vs 1500). But if a louder fan is required for it to be effective, and the BIPro is equivalent in terms of cooling, I wouldnt mind paying a little less :)

The kit arrived last monday, spent 5 hours installing it last night (talk about taking your time eh) :)

It's currently sitting there bleeding, will post pics soon

Well after a week of having it installed and running, it's time for me to post some work+final pics :D

Huge props to Petra's Tech Shop for answering questions, concerns and being so prompt in every aspect of the purchase :)

Petra's secure bubble packaging:
bubblepack.jpg

The box's contents:
contents.jpg

GPU block wasent perfect, quite a few dings:
shiny2.jpg

CPU block looked better:
shiny1.jpg

Blocks in:
hookingup3.jpg

hookingup4.jpg

Tubing this thing was a pain, the tubing was a lot thicker than I imagined. Had to use a BBQ lighter to soften the plastic when applying. All in all, they went on :)

Tubing:
hookingup5.jpg

Had to customize the ramsinks on the VGA card to fit around the thick tubing:
ramsinks.jpg

Hotwiring PSU for bleeding...:
bleeding1.jpg

Bleeding the loop:
bleeding.jpg

Bubble path, when bleeding (looked cool ^_^):
bubblepath.jpg

The bubbles started comming up purple about 10mins in:
purplebubbles2.jpg

purplebubbles.jpg

Loop fully bled, 3 hours later...:
bled.jpg

FINAL RESULT - Minus wire management (will be done with new PSU):
final.jpg

GPU now idles at 43C, cant check CPU temp (no censor that I can find :S).. From what I've tested, the GPU dosent seem to go much higher than 44-45C under load. Then again, my PSU gives out when under load - single 18A rail for my whole rig...

Any questions, comments are welcome.

Those aren't dings on the GPU block. Someone forgot to wash off the block after they finished milling it.

Back