Annoying problem with Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6 based PC.

Buztafen

Limp Gawd
Afternoon all,

I've been having this intermittent problem with my PC (see signature for specs) for a while and I'm desperate to sort it.

Day to day it works absolutely flawlessly. When its in Windows its rock solid. Temps are fine (min 30's max 60's), it can run Prime 95 for days with no errors and ive never had it crash when playing games or when watching various types of media.

However, every so often it won't post or get past the BIOS screen, it will then cycle through a few reboots and eventually stop and make a beeping sound. This problem usually happens after the comps been restarted either through the start menu or by physically pressing the reset button on the tower or sometimes after Windows has updated itself and automatically restarts.

To temporarily fix the problem and make the computer post and loads Windows as normal all i have to do is go into the BIOS and reload the saved overclocked BIOS settings i have then save and exit the BIOS. After doing this the comp boots normally...for a while anyway...Fairly simple to rectify but its annoying as i have to swap cables to see the BIOS screen as the TV i have it hooked upto doesnt show it (different resolution), plus its not ideal and i want it to boot normally all the time dammit.

Im sure its something to do with the overclock because when the problem occurs and before reloading my saved BIOS settings, if i go into the MIT section of the BIOS a warning in a red box pops up saying the following "The system has experienced boot failure becuase of overclocking or change of voltages. Last settings in this page may not coincide with current H/W states. Press any key to continue."

There's obviously an instability of some sort going on but i'll be damned if i know where it is or how to fix.

I have been told that it might be the mobo battery that's running low but i replaced it and problem persists. I also have the latest BIOS available from Gigabytes website (F13d).

Does anyone have any ideas about what's happening and how to stop it?

Cheers.

EDIT: I can post my current BIOS setting's and a CPU-Z report if that will help to diagnose any problems.

Last edited:
My guess would be some sort of issue with the ram timings and/or the ram voltages. They seem stable enough to run the pc, however it is just a little off cause a bios error when the mobo checks the hardware for startup.

Any suggestions on how to make them more stable?

Here are my current memory settings from the BIOS:-

Advanced Timing Control
tRRD..................................: 3
tWTR..................................: 3
tWR...................................: 4
tRFC..................................: 52
tRTP..................................: 3
Command Rate (CMD) ...................: 2
Driving Strength Profiles
Driving Strength .....................: 1066
Channel A
Static tRead Value....................: 7
tRD Phase0 Adjustment.................: Auto
tRD Phase1 Adjustment.................: Auto
tRD Phase2 Adjustment ................: Auto
tRD Phase3 Adjustment.................: Auto
Trd2rd(Different Rank)................: Auto
Twr2wr(Different Rank)................: Auto
Twr2rd(Different Rank)................: Auto
Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)................: Auto
Dimm1 Clock Skew Control..............: Auto ps
Dimm2 Clock Skew Control..............: Auto ps
Channel B
Static tRead Value....................: 7
tRD Phase0 Adjustment.................: Auto
tRD Phase1 Adjustment.................: Auto
tRD Phase2 Adjustment ................: Auto
tRD Phase3 Adjustment.................: Auto
Trd2rd(Different Rank)................: Auto
Twr2wr(Different Rank)................: Auto
Twr2rd(Different Rank)................: Auto
Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)................: Auto
Dimm1 Clock Skew Control..............: Auto ps
Dimm2 Clock Skew Control..............: Auto ps

Everything is set manually unless it says Auto next to it obviously :).

-->Did you do any over clocking on your memory or set XMP to prfolie 1?
If so, my suggestion is set the bios setup/MB intelligent Tweaker/ Dram Performance Control/Performance enhance from Turbo to standard.
Please also do set DDR voltage as Normal aside from Auto.
--> If this event only happen when you update window driver.
My suggestion is for you to check the window updated driver version.
For me I will do update my driver again using Gigabyte website driver for my chipset.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2831#dl
It seems to me updating driver using window update will tend to disable some of my chipset features as based on my experiences only.

Additional... about pressing reset button, please don't press the reset button for a long time.
Just press it once. Try to check it.

Back