annoying DSL connection issue

pookgai

n00b
Im corrently using Verizon DSL. The problem i have is that, my DSL signal likes to randomly drop and then wait a few min, and it reconnects back, only to have the same thing happen again. I called techical support and they said that its because of my phone line is too long. Since i dont have a phone jack in my room, i have to tag a 50ft extended phone line from another room to connect it to my modem. So what can i do to solve this problem?

O yea, I used Cable before getting DSL but switched because of the lower price. But trust me, Cable is worth the extra dough. I used to dl at around 720KBps but with DSL, i only dl at around 180KBps, HUGE difference, but this might be my line issue.

If VZ is saying your line is too long, I doubt the 50ft extension cable you have run will make much difference.

But OTOH, you should try locating the DSL modem closer to the phone jack using a shorter telephone cable. In fact, the best method of determining if the line problem is internal or external is to hook up your DSL modem at the demarc box located outside the house.

Try running a few tests with the above and get back to us if this helps or not.

I cant seem to find the demarc connection outside of my house, but i have tried to connect my modem to the other phone jacks around my house using the phone cable supplied with my dsl kit. And in every jack i try, the modem will be fine for a about a minute and then the DSL LED will flash (meaning theres no dsl signal) and then return back to normal.

I just called VZ again and they said that they will send another modem to my house

soo lets see how that goes :rolleyes:

filtering issue? that's what my friends problem was, IDK about V internet tho, i just got a new NID and filter outside so i dun need filters in my house anymore. Been having lots of issues with my isp...(*COUGH* ALLTEL SUCKS *COUGH*)

Back