Annoying Bug with IE6 + Windows 2000 Professional

DevilDoc

2[H]4U
So, I get a new(er) PC from deployment, with a schpankity fresh install of Windows 2000 Professional on it. Previously I was running NT4 here... don't ask why, I wish it was XP on a 2.4c, but I takes what I can gets... at any rate, I install Google's popup blocker. The toolbar wouldn't install unless I "Enable third-party browser extensions" in Internet Options -> Advanced Tab.

As soon as I enable third party extensions, it takes at least 30 seconds for IE to start up. With them disabled, it takes maybe 1-2 seconds for IE to launch. I've looked all over the web for tips\tricks\tweaks to remedy this situation, but to no avail.

Anyone got a hint?

Doc

Get rid of that google toolbar, get mozilla firefox, its a great browser, wont let you down

OldMX

With 3rd party extensions enabled and the google toolbar, you shouldn't get a delay like that.

As always, if you are using IE, you should check for spyware with AdAware, Spybot and Hijack this.

Are you running IE6 SP1 and do you have all the critical updates installed?

OldMX's suggestion of Firefox is a very good one.

Shadow2531 said:
With 3rd party extensions enabled and the google toolbar, you shouldn't get a delay like that.

As always, if you are using IE, you should check for spyware with AdAware, Spybot and Hijack this.

Are you running IE6 SP1 and do you have all the critical updates installed?

OldMX's suggestion of Firefox is a very good one.

Somehow, it doesn't even matter if I have the toolbar installed. Even if I simply enable extensions w/o a reboot, it takes a long assed time between clicking on the IE Quick Launch Icon and the browser actually coming up and running..... yeah, right, quicklaunch my ass....

Yes, I'm running IE6 SP1 (6.0.2800.1106) with all critical updates installed, at least according to Windows Update.

DevilDoc said:
Somehow, it doesn't even matter if I have the toolbar installed. Even if I simply enable extensions w/o a reboot, it takes a long assed time between clicking on the IE Quick Launch Icon and the browser actually coming up and running..... yeah, right, quicklaunch my ass....

Yes, I'm running IE6 SP1 (6.0.2800.1106) with all critical updates installed, at least according to Windows Update.

try a repair...

Zardoz said:
try a repair...
did a sfc /scannow already. didn't change the condition.

I would use Firefox here, but since this is my employer's workstation, it's best I use applications our customers are most likely to use when viewing our content. Bleh. What a pisser.

I don't have any BHO's or toolbars installed, go into IE --> Tools --> Internet Options... --> Advanced --> and just check "Allow Third-party Extensions" --> [Apply] --> [OK] and then kill the browser. Next I click on the IE Shortcut, and it takes 25 seconds to start IE, as opposed to a 1-2 second launch.

"Doctor, it hurts when I hit myself in the head with a hammer, how do I fix it?"

Don't turn on the 3rd part extensions, then you don't have to worry about this shit. Use FFox for your normal browsing & keep IE around for when you need to test things, this way you don't -need- to install extensions to fix a weak browser. Additionally, you can make sure your designs look good in both browsers.

Okay, so I disabled the 3rd party crapolah in IE, and installed FireFox. I'd installed Firebird once before on my home PC, and wasn't too thrilled with it's performance.

However, FireFox is an excellent performer, and I absolutely love the tabbed browsing. Effing genius stuff there, man. Now when I open my browser I go to three tabbed homepages. Sweet stuff. Thanks guys.

Back