Annoying and Perplexing Reboots

TSS Modder

2[H]4U
im attempting to fix a PC for a client. the PC reboots at random times for no apparent reason. my client runs Roto Rooter (plumbing business) and he uses a program call Summit. the computer guy said that the PC just rebooted after only a little bit of use.

i walked into the room after dinner, and the PC had just started rebooting as i walked in. the computers rebooted 2 times before that (from 4-7PM). the third time the PC was just sitting there during dinner, doing absolutely nothing.

the CPU is idling at aprx. 44C.

Details:
AMD 2200+ stock HSF
Gigabyte GA-75748 SiS 748
WD 40GB Drive
Sapphire Radeon 7000 32MB
Crucial 512MB DDR-2100
Antec 400W PSU
XP Pro

any ideas? i dont have any HDDs to test to make sure the HDD has nothing to do w/ it. (im almost 100% sure its not, but always knock the little things out first.)

if i have to i have a compatible mobo/CPU in the downstairs PC i can strip.

im completely perplexed, so if you guys have any opinions/ideas id really appreciate it.

well thanks for all of the help guys :p

got the problem fixed. i originally thought it was the HDD, but it turned out to be the RAM. ran MemTest86.... 28 errors. not good.

TSS Modder said:
well thanks for all of the help guys :p

got the problem fixed. i originally thought it was the HDD, but it turned out to be the RAM. ran MemTest86.... 28 errors. not good.

yeah - when random reboots occur, RAM should be the first thing to test..

Back