Androids frangmented userbase a nightmare for developers?

nope, because of the kick ass sdks.

Too bad google doesnt make all the new api features work on old phones too.

100 versions..? I only know of these 4 different versions (that are still active) in this pie chart that depicts.

AndroidVersions-e1284160445164.jpg

As you can see, this chart was made just over a month ago. Now, if they're talking about the manufacture/phone specific OS version every phone is running, then I might believe 100+ different versions are out there, but that's not what matters when developing apps. What matters is what "core" version of Android the phone is running (1.6, 2.1, 2.2, etc.). Also, that .1% of obsolete versions of the OS shouldn't count against it either.

nope, because of the kick ass sdks.

Yup, which is pretty much what the article says as well:
“It's not particularly harder to develop for Android over iPhone (from a programming standpoint),” said Christopher Pabon, a developer who writes apps for both the iPhone and Android platforms. “Except when it comes to final quality assurance and testing. Then it can be a nightmare. (a manageable nightmare, mind you).

The QA part should be solved in time, now that google has automated platform compatibility testing: http://source.android.com/compatibility/index.html

As an Android dev, I pretty much agree. Developing is pretty easy and straightforward - "fragmentation" just isn't even remotely a problem. Like, none whatsoever, the SDK completely addresses the problem elegantly and simply. But QA can be kind of a bitch - quirks that only happen on one model but not others, thanks to the manufacturers custom crap. Hopefully the compatibility testing addresses that last hiccup.

Too bad google doesnt make all the new api features work on old phones too.

The only way to do that would be to get old phones running the new versions, which is up to the manufacturers.

Fragmentation isn't Androids problem, especially right now.

More than 75% of the userbase is either on 2.1 or 2.2. The way these articles talk about the make-up level customizations and how they are part of the fragmentation is ludicrous.
I would even say the fragmentation white horse most of these new outlets keeping ranting about is mostly fluff and hardly an issue at all.

Lets talk about real issues, like the ones with the Market and how horribly setup it is and how for some ungodly reason Google is taking forever for a syncing option through computers and some kind of web based Market. Nobody ever talks about that and I think its the #1 issue with Android right now.

Lets talk about real issues, like the ones with the Market and how horribly setup it is and how for some ungodly reason Google is taking forever for a syncing option through computers and some kind of web based Market. Nobody ever talks about that and I think its the #1 issue with Android right now.

They demoed a web based market at the 2010 Google I/O keynote. It was all wireless and push based (click install on your computer and suddenly your phone starts installing it without being plugged in), it was pretty slick. Now if only it would hurry up and get here :D

Market is the main problem right now I think, fragmentation is just a word people like to throw around.

I'd dare say Android development is as hindered by fragmentation as Windows development. AKA, it really isn't, and Windows is MUCH more fragmented then Android. (Windows Desktop).

Android was developed to support multiple hardware/resolutions/etc just like Windows. iOS wasn't, and doesn't need to worry do to the lock down Apple has on it.

Back